1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

Jime's Racing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Jime's Racing Thread

My new website is www.jimesmaxima.com I will try and keep it updated with my latest escapades. btw Jime is pronounced jimmy, not very original.
Passes in 2008 = 438, Events = 36
Passes to date this Season = 192, Events = 13

Update Cayuga 17 Oct 09

After another rainout on the 4 Oct 09 we finally got in the season final. I won the Pure Street event but not the Street Warz because of a frozen fuel solenoid. However I didn't hurt the engine. I still managed to win both series in points though and my second perfect light on the Pro tree.

Won $150 for Pure Street and $400 for points champ for a season total of $4450. My best year by far.

This week I am going to pull the engine and trans. Replacing the heads due to a bent valve or two from a nitrous explosion. Transmission is slipping in 3rd gear and I managed to buy one with 2500 miles on it from a 99 that was wrecked in Dec 99 so its like brand new, all shiny. Putting in the Transgo HD2 shift kit as well and will see how it performs. Will be picking up a set of Weld Prolite 8x15's and 3.5x15's (got for $300 on racing junk.com) and installing M&H 23x8.5x15's on front and M/T 22.5x4.5x15's (7 lbs) on rear, that combo will knock off another 22lbs. My weight is creeping up though due to putting all glass in vs lexan etc so I am now at 2830 with me in it.

Pics of trophies, 12, 1st place and one for semi-finals. Now that I have taken a pic they will find a new home in the recycling bin.

Update St Thomas 13 Sep 09

Entered 2 classes again, Pure Street (13.0 Index) and Street Warez (11.5 Index). Qualified 2nd in Pure Street with a 13.1 and 1st in Street Warez with a 11.51) Won both classes after a LOT of racing and took home $350 for a total this year of $3900. One race left and I hope to get my total over $4k as well as try for a new record. I did run my new meth/water setup yesterday but just on the motor I'm still waiting for some fuel solenoids so I can run the methanol through the nitrous system. Should be able to up the timing with the nitrous and if we can get some cool weather for the 04 Oct it should go well.

Update Cayuga 23 Aug 09

CSCS got rained out on sunday 23 Aug 09 I did have the best qual time in Street Warz with11.5 Index) and got the bye for the first round but then it rained.
http://www.cscs.ca/

Update Shannovnille 15-16 Aug 09

Went to the track fri night and played with the local street guys, there were about 30-40 cars so I figured there would be a good showing for the weekend event. Sat morn came and no cars show up, I waited until after 10 am and was told I was the only entry for Street and that they would refund my money. So I packed up got my $75 entry feed back and came home.

Update Earlton 8-9 Aug 09

Ok so this is getting a little much. I double entered in the Sportsman (12-14 secs) and Street (14 and slower). Had to reduce timing to 10 deg and shifts to 5500. M&H Street/Strip tires were used because I had to use DOT in Street. Pulled a couple of 1.9 60' so they hook not too bad at 11 psi for 25" tires. Won both events on Sat and only 4th in Street on Sun. $800, $500 and $100.

Won $1400 total winnings this year $3550.

Update Elliot Lake 22 July 09

http://www.elliotlakedragway.com/driver_info.html

I was at this race last year and ended up 5th out of 265 cars. This year I bombed out and just got through the 3rd round. I don't ALWAYS win, gotta take the good with the bad.

In my defense my master cylinder is gone and my launch control rolled me out of the box to 2 red lights (I bought back in). Getting one from the wreckers this week. It was going well I had 3 low 500 lights, .511, .508, .504 before the brakes started to lose it. I also did a couple of sub 2 sec 60's with stock muffler and M&H Street and Strip DOT tires. First time below 2 seconds with them, did a 1.94 and 1.96, with 11 psi. They don't hook worth a darn when spraying though.

Update Montreal 12 July 09

This was an unplanned event but i figured since I drove 12 hrs to MAXUS I could drive 7 hrs to Montreal. First it was a great day because I met some new Maxima friends VQ'ed (Luke) an Claude who gave me a reason to understand why I like Maxima's so much and the Maxima community. They helped me swap wheels etc and great moral support.

I double classed, Street Warz and Pure Street (11.50 and 13.0 Index). It took quite a bit of tuning to bring the time to a 13.0, first pass was a 12.5 @ 111 mph. Finally ended up dropping timing from 26 to 16 and shift points from 7k to 5800. For the 11.50 I sprayed a 50 shot.

So final result? I won both classes and it made the 7 hrs drive home worth the effort. Great reception and the guys from the local area are great competitors as well as fans.

Final run in the 11.50 was against a turbo Civic. I had a lousy 60' (1.9) due to track conditions but managed to come back with a 11.6 against his 11.77.

Won $250 total winnings this year $2050.

MAXUS 09, had a great time. Meeting everyone and putting a face to the org name was worth the 12 hr drive. Aaron took me out in the All Motor Maxima Unlimited by a hair but I managed to win the Maxima Unlimited, Nissan Unlimited and the Quick 8 events.

Thanks to Redmax, Aaron and Alicious for all the hard work and flawless program. Wish I could have stayed for the sunday activities but I left at 7:30 am sunday and arrived home at 7:30 pm.

Didn't break my 10.85 record but did run an 11.2 @ 123 with a 125 shot just to show the old girl still has a little poop. I was a little reluctant to run any higher being 12 hrs away from home. Traction could have been a little better, I was spinning with the 50 shot out of the hole which could have been the condition of my slicks or track prep. My right side tie-down strap broke on the way down as well as my cooling fans. Didn't realize until the 2nd run and the starter saw the water dripping but let me do that run. i did manage to get one fan working on low but was running well over 200 deg temp and the small rubber hose that connects the front rail to the log split and I had a rag wrapped around it so the water wouldn't drip on the track. I wrung it out and tied it back on after each run.
(The low speed signal line was severed and not only did I not have manual fan operation, they wouldn't run on auto either, I was fortunate that it didn't cause any serious problems.) Thats the first time my car has not performed flawlessly at an event. My N/A runs were all over the board. Best was a 12.65, 12.75 and a bunch of 12.8-12.99, 104-109 mph runs, I think the engine temps were responsible for that.

Special thanks for the individual that came up with the Plaque idea, its front and center.

PS Thanks also to nalc for putting up with an old guy for the night. Thanks Taylor

June 21st won the Sportsman Class event in Kirkland Lake. Collected $1200. My biggest payday yet. Nice on Fathers Day and my Birthday. Total Winnings $1800

The final was against a 427 Vette. I was conservatively dialed at an 8.3 for the 1/8th and he dialed an 8.5. Just before the run i changed my dial to an 8.5 also so we could have a heads-up race. My r/t was a .596 and he did a .751 and I forced him to breakout with a 8.436 against my 8.537. The whole crowd stood up and cheered when I came down the return lane, what a rush. Poor dude in the Vette was not too happy, 2nd place only collected $200.

http://www.northernthunderdragway.com/

May 31st I won the Street Warz class in the 1st CSCS event of the year. Collected $200. Total winnings $600 http://www.cscs.ca/

My first win of the season is in this thread. Its also my first perfect light on a .400 Pro Tree for which I collected $200 and $200 for the win.

http://dragracecanada.com/media/pres...s/2009/061.asp

http://forums.maxima.org/1-4-1-8-mil...r-t-bonus.html

Last edited by Jime; 10-21-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:33 PM

Congrats. Must feel great to see all that hard work and dedication come as recognition..in the form of green paper .
Old 06-22-2009, 03:43 PM

Green paper is the best form of appreciation
Old 06-23-2009, 05:10 AM

Congrats. Nice to see a Maxima take the prize every once in a while. Keep up the good work and good luck at Maxus......
Old 06-27-2009, 06:05 AM

Major thumbs up for beating the vette in front of everyone
Old 06-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by JClaw
Major thumbs up for beating the vette in front of everyone
What he said!

Good to see you're having another successful season, Jim
Old 06-28-2009, 07:46 PM

impressive. good job disapponting them v8's.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 AM

Congrads Jime. Myself and others are glad you showed up to maxus to witness first hand.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:27 AM

LOL @ the Vette owner, get em Jime, GET EM!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM

Update on Montreal CSCS race.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:31 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Wow! You've been busy Jim! Congrats! I would love to get into Index racing. The UTEC and suprastick are very handy to have I'm sure since you can change timing and shift points in a few seconds.

They have 1/8 mile index racing in my area. I think there is a 8.00 index I could enter. I would probably need to spray a 20 shot of nitrous to get me in the low 8s on those hot days. My area doesn't do many 1/4 mile events though. I've never raced the 1/8 mile. To me, it's a waste of time unless you are trying to win some money in an event.

But congratulations on the win! AGAIN!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 AM

I cant wait to win my first trophy. Congrats JIME.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Wow Jim, right back at it again, not even a weekend off or anything!

Hope you were able to fix the fans and the springs and everything else that the wonderful NY roads broke.

Keep up the good work!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Wow! You've been busy Jim! Congrats! I would love to get into Index racing. The UTEC and suprastick are very handy to have I'm sure since you can change timing and shift points in a few seconds.

They have 1/8 mile index racing in my area. I think there is a 8.00 index I could enter. I would probably need to spray a 20 shot of nitrous to get me in the low 8s on those hot days. My area doesn't do many 1/4 mile events though. I've never raced the 1/8 mile. To me, it's a waste of time unless you are trying to win some money in an event.

But congratulations on the win! AGAIN!
I will be racing the 1/8th this weekend for a $1000 purse in street. After 2 or 3 years doing some 1/8th stuff I really like it. Its easier on the car and the race is usually decided by the 1/8th anyway. (except for our race) Basically it just eliminates 3rd gear for us. I think you will change your mind after you have done it a bit, I was really skeptical at first too.

I'm still running those old 22's, going to save those new ones you brought me for my October run for a new record.

Originally Posted by ajcool2
I cant wait to win my first trophy. Congrats JIME.
Just takes a lot of racing, you have to win eventually, it worked for me.

Originally Posted by nalc
Wow Jim, right back at it again, not even a weekend off or anything!

Hope you were able to fix the fans and the springs and everything else that the wonderful NY roads broke.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks Taylor. The fan problem was a severed low speed ECU to relay wire, so no low or high speed. Got home with that towel wrapped around the leaking hose, just had to stop occasionally and top up the rad. My finger is almost healed too.

I put a cable loop on the struts to prevent the cable from being cut again. After a while I eventually iron out the wrinkles. Last weekend it was brakes getting air from somewhere, I am working on that right now.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:06 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Jime
I will be racing the 1/8th this weekend for a $1000 purse in street. After 2 or 3 years doing some 1/8th stuff I really like it. Its easier on the car and the race is usually decided by the 1/8th anyway. (except for our race) Basically it just eliminates 3rd gear for us. I think you will change your mind after you have done it a bit, I was really skeptical at first too.

I'm still running those old 22's, going to save those new ones you brought me for my October run for a new record.
I've never done 1/8 mile racing, but I can see how it's a true driver's race. The bracket or index race is usually over with just after the RT and 60 foot anyway. And right now, I'm still in 2nd gear at the 1/8 mile mark since I'm only trapping high 80s in the 1/8.

I can't wait until you start trying to actually shoot for a good ET instead of winning the index or bracket race you are in at the time. For me to start getting better ETs All Motor, I'll have to wait until at least October when the weather starts to cool down.

Those new 22" slicks you bought do seem a LOT softer than your old ones. I'll need to get new slicks one day as well, especially when I start spraying nitrous again.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:35 PM

WOW impressive trophies! Congrats man!
It would make my life if I was fast enough to win any sort of competition.
I cant wait to get my first crack at the 1/4 mile.

Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to the rest of us!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 AM

Update 10 Aug 09
Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 AM

Good job on your winnings. I was happy to win $200 at import wars, but you're starting a new career with the amount of money you earn. Have you figured out your dollar per hour while you're competing in an event?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by jr schultz
Good job on your winnings. I was happy to win $200 at import wars, but you're starting a new career with the amount of money you earn. Have you figured out your dollar per hour while you're competing in an event?
$ per hour is probably around $ .10. I figure if I break even on expenses for the year I am a big winner.

My Son tells me that if I want to make a get a fortune at racing I only need to start with a large fortune
Old 08-10-2009, 08:25 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Nice weekend! And those awesome RTs on July 22nd were on a 5 tenths bracket tree? Very nice! I could never get consistant RTs under .530s. I started redlighting more often. So I just shot for .530-.550 as an average and didn't push the envelope any further.

Do you launch with a button with the throttle pedal to the floor? In the racing I've done in the past, they consider that full electronics and put you in the Super Pro class.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Nice weekend! And those awesome RTs on July 22nd were on a 5 tenths bracket tree? Very nice! I could never get consistant RTs under .530s. I started redlighting more often. So I just shot for .530-.550 as an average and didn't push the envelope any further.

Do you launch with a button with the throttle pedal to the floor? In the racing I've done in the past, they consider that full electronics and put you in the Super Pro class.

I don't think any of the v8 guys that race in the higher classes have DBW they are all cable, so as far as I know there is no rule against it. Full electronics is considered delay box, throttle stops etc. I have never heard of anyone using the setup I have with a 2 wheel line-loc. Not considered very high-tech. Most races class as box or no-box which means a delay box. Also a line-loc isn't consistant like a transbrake.

Our rules here for Street say "No delay boxes, no transbrakes." For MOD its "No delay boxes, transbrakes allowed, 2 steps allowed" For TOP its "Delay boxes allowed"

Thats the class rules period. So my motto is if you aren't sure don't ask because then someone will have to make a decision.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:59 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I don't think any of the v8 guys that race in the higher classes have DBW they are all cable, so as far as I know there is no rule against it. Full electronics is considered delay box, throttle stops etc. I have never heard of anyone using the setup I have with a 2 wheel line-loc. Not considered very high-tech. Most races class as box or no-box which means a delay box. Also a line-loc isn't consistant like a transbrake.

Our rules here for Street say "No delay boxes, no transbrakes." For MOD its "No delay boxes, transbrakes allowed, 2 steps allowed" For TOP its "Delay boxes allowed"

Thats the class rules period. So my motto is if you aren't sure don't ask because then someone will have to make a decision.
I'm sorry. You're right. It's been so many years since I did much bracket racing. It's delay boxes that separate the footbrake from the Pro classes. Linelocks are common in the footbrake class around here as well.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:35 PM

Hey Jime how was you're race sunday??
Old 08-24-2009, 06:23 PM

your website is alerting my antivirus/firefox thats its an attack site.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
+1

My browser isn't able to comprehend the level of awesome streaming through it probably lol.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by shadyonedeath
I am working on that, another Google screwup.

Update on Sunday in first post. Got rained out.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:14 AM

Update from yesterday's race, 13 Sep 09. See 1st post.

My website is back up but not updated yet.

Last edited by Jime; 09-14-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:48 AM
3.5 in the works

Congrats on the wins Jim, didn't think you went down to St T anymore? I heard one of my aquaintenances was down there (Brown 71 Camaro running around 10.3) but don't know which events he entered...

Hearing about your escapades makes me really miss my car.. been over a year now...
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Bacon Lover

That's awesome that you won both classes you entered, especially the 11.5 class. I can imagine it gets much more difficult to run consistently at that level.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by DandyMax
Congrats on the wins Jim, didn't think you went down to St T anymore? I heard one of my aquaintenances was down there (Brown 71 Camaro running around 10.3) but don't know which events he entered...

Hearing about your escapades makes me really miss my car.. been over a year now...
Must have been sat he was there, only sport compacts yesterday. That is the first time I have been to St Thomas since last spring. CSCS only has one event there. Dave still remembers me, he said I can't believe you can speed that car up by 1.5 seconds just with nitrous between runs.

I have cooled down a lot with the racing, stopped racing the Summt series and they have 16 events and also OSCA who have 5 events. I don't race mainly for money but I don't like to pay $100 to race and only get $100 for 1st place, so I am quitting the events that pay poorly, its nice to at least get your expenses paid for if you win. Besides it was getting a bit much going every weekend, too much luke a job and I wasn't enjoying it as much.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tatanko
That's awesome that you won both classes you entered, especially the 11.5 class. I can imagine it gets much more difficult to run consistently at that level.
If someone had of told me I could run 11.50 a year or so ago let alone race in that class i wouldn't have believed it. Funny how things evolve. I am now getting a fan club of guys who want to kick my butt.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:22 AM
nycnissans

nice, Jime the link to your page isn't working for me
Old 09-14-2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by secondtonone317
nice, Jime the link to your page isn't working for me
Ok its fixed. Thanks for letting me know. Just recently changed my host and forgot to update.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 AM
3.5 in the works

Must have been sat he was there, only sport compacts yesterday. That is the first time I have been to St Thomas since last spring. CSCS only has one event there. Dave still remembers me, he said I can't believe you can speed that car up by 1.5 seconds just with nitrous between runs.

I have cooled down a lot with the racing, stopped racing the Summt series and they have 16 events and also OSCA who have 5 events. I don't race mainly for money but I don't like to pay $100 to race and only get $100 for 1st place, so I am quitting the events that pay poorly, its nice to at least get your expenses paid for if you win. Besides it was getting a bit much going every weekend, too much luke a job and I wasn't enjoying it as much.
Yep understandable for sure. $4G for the year isn't bad though..
Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by DandyMax

i would love to put this De-K in my max, or better yet, jime 3.5
Old 09-18-2009, 03:31 PM

The thing is your a racer at heart, and now concentrate in less events than before, so, you have to keep the points coming in to win the championship in the end... Which, you would anyway!! We know you, Jime, you always win.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:37 PM

Some slips from my last event. Three are for Street Warz (11.50 index) and one from Pure Street (13.0 index). Notice any anomalies? 60's aren't spectacular, ditto for the r/t's, deep staged and .400 Pro Tree.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:22 PM

the guy that won in the 13.0 class ran faster than 13.0?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:12 AM

Final race of the year and update on first post.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Turbo 3.5

did you make a all out pass for a new pb

Quick Reply: Jime's Racing Thread