1/4 and 1/8 Mile Racing Talk about track times, launch techniques, strategies, etc. Check out the "Timeslips" subforum for posted times.No discussion of street racing will be tolerated.

Finally 1/4 runs, (pic, vid, and slip inside)

Old 12-23-2010, 12:29 AM

Finally 1/4 runs, (pic, vid, and slip inside)

So as I mentioned on my dyno thread, i was giving up completely on the car, but I was inspired to go to the track anyway, even with the misfire I have. For those that know my setup, I depend on the nitrous for the 60', however I did not take the nitrous thinking that I wouldnt pass inspection (since I didnt have a fitting for the blowdown tube), turns out they didnt even pop the hood . So the runs were only turbo.

The first run sucked big time, I launched from idle and it was about a 13.4 at 114, 2.3 60'

The next run I brake torqued a bit and got 13.0 at 116 2.24 60'

Then the best run was a 12.8 at 117mph, and still 2.2 60'

So I made big improvements between runs, was tuning a bit the very 1st run was very rich, low 10s and some 9s. Leaned it out, probably raised boost a click or two. Max boost was 16psi, first gear the highest boost i saw was 3psi towards redline

Conclusion, this big ol turbine housing is killing me with the lag, next time I go and spray the whole 1st gear, also the misfire is hurting me real bad, in this video you can hear it misses down the whole track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHo_SqNi6ek (listen to the exhaust note how it hicups crap load of times till the end)

Here's the 12.8 run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMFmccRWNpo

Last edited by streetzlegend; 12-23-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 AM

Congrat! Check on my signature, there have your timeslip and dyno.

Last edited by MIKERNM1990; 12-23-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:45 AM

about damn time! now what's this about giving up on the car???
Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
Congrat!
Thanks

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
about damn time! now what's this about giving up on the car???
Because I have spent months doing things to see if the misfire goes away and nothing helps. Only thing left to do is change ECU, Crank and cam sensors.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Because I have spent months doing things to see if the misfire goes away and nothing helps. Only thing left to do is change ECU, Crank and cam sensors.
got a 95 ecu you can swap out (just need to actually switch with to the mt ecu i've had for a while, lol) sooooo... no excuses!

but seriously, we've been chattin about this since before you did it. i need to see it finished! other wise i'll , haha
Old 12-23-2010, 03:29 AM
Turbo 3.5

congrats about time, that trap speed must have turned some heads
Old 12-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Pay to Play

My car is doing the exact same stup1d misfire. I did a plug change, I checked MAF, I checked everything and stupid car still misfires and its annoying. My last sensor in mind is the crank sensor. Hopefully thats it.

If I change it before you do I'll let you know or I'll have Alvaro call to tell you.

Dont give up tho.... I was giving up on mine too after a test drive that pissed me off so I know how you feel.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:39 AM

HOLY CRAP STREETZ took his car to the track lol. Congrats on the new time. Loving those trap speeds.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:01 AM
SLOW

massive lag ftl. congrats on setting a new pb though.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Turbo 4th Gen

nice
Old 12-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Thanks alot guys,

Neal: yeah man I was expecting to beat my PB but was also wanting some low 12s maybe an 11, not happening with this lag and no nitrous.

t6378tp, ajcool2: You guys kept busting my ***** about going to the track so there you go lol. Yea a few people told me it was quick but not a whole lot of attention, it was mostly domestics and fast ones too(so they dont care about a slow import lol), but I did have better trap speed than most mustangs out there, some guys were doing 11s with my same trap speed more or less, its all about the launch and first 8th that makes a big difference, after that my car is hawling.

Stillen Maxima: Alvaro mentioned you had a similar issue, right now I just swapped out the crank pos sensor (the one at the crank pulley) with another I had, also reduced the gap from .030 to .035 and still misses. Gotta find another sensor to swap for the one at the tranny(signal plate), then the cam pos sensor. If that dont work, then change ECU, if that dont work then im done.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM
SLOW

get rid of that big housing or spray that ****.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Once the misfire is gone
Old 12-23-2010, 05:01 PM

Nice trap speed!

Are you running slicks? If not, don't expect low 12s or high 11s. Not trying to be a ****, just speaking the truth.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by krazy6
Nice trap speed!

Are you running slicks? If not, don't expect low 12s or high 11s. Not trying to be a ****, just speaking the truth.
Thanks.

yes of course, I only go to the track if I have slicks, otherwise its a waste of money.

Originally Posted by Nealoc187

holy bejesus!!!! the car starts rolling top of second... wow lagggggg bro foreal , spray it please on properly size that turbo. but really happy you went out, car has alotttt left in it man

DAMN DUDE!! thats one fast max! and its auto? im really jealous but its cool. one day...
Old 12-23-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
DAMN DUDE!! thats one fast max! and its auto? im really jealous but its cool. one day...
Thanks man
Old 12-23-2010, 10:08 PM

Damn streetz you def hear the misfire through the exhaust, wow. Good luck fixing that! Big time congrats on the new PB though! (some weight savings may help in the 1/8 too )
Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by 95BLKMAX
Damn streetz you def hear the misfire through the exhaust, wow. Good luck fixing that! Big time congrats on the new PB though! (some weight savings may help in the 1/8 too )
Meh, forget weight savings, I dont wanna be driving around in a tin can with a motor lol. ill go faster with more power instead
Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Christmas almost here, someone get me a quick spool valve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:07 PM

Thanks.

yes of course, I only go to the track if I have slicks, otherwise its a waste of money.
Nice, what size tire are you running?
Christmas almost here, someone get me a quick spool valve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have an idea, hook up the bottle.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:33 PM

Nice, what size tire are you running?

I have an idea, hook up the bottle.
24.5 x 8 x 15

Yeah, I agree with the bottle. Gotta find a fitting for the blowdown tube
Old 12-24-2010, 12:37 AM

24.5 x 8 x 15

Those should work. Might need to step up to a 26 with the nitrous.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

24.5 x 8 x 15

Have you thought about using 23x8.5x15? Get a set of Kosei K1 and put them on there about 13lbs as I recall. Rotas are another substitute at like 14lbs. Those heavy SE wheels don't help either. Big tires are not really necessary since your auto you have long gears anyway. If you were 5 or 6spd then 26s would've been necessary. 600whp Hondas still run 24.5 granted there a lot lighter, but high 1.7s shouldn't be a problem for you if you get that turbo to spool any faster.

Also why the need for such a giant turbo? I've read somewhere you stated that the hx35 is out of its efficiency? I'm probably wrong but I've used that turbo before and it isn't a terrible choice for a 3.5.

Also your misfire issue could be something as simple as a wire related issue with your Emanage, had that problem with my UTEC. You should check all the coilpacks, or have access to a scan tool like MODIS, I think you can stream data for individual cylinders.

I don't think you really need nitrous to be honest, boost is plenty, and your trap speeds show a whole lot.

Also you should lean out your airfuel ratio slightly before you hit boost because it raises EGT's and that equals faster spool. If your only hitting 3psi in 1st gear your virtually making no HP since 3psi is probably doing nothing to that turbo.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Legit6MT
Have you thought about using 23x8.5x15? Get a set of Kosei K1 and put them on there about 13lbs as I recall. Rotas are another substitute at like 14lbs. Those heavy SE wheels don't help either. Big tires are not really necessary since your auto you have long gears anyway. If you were 5 or 6spd then 26s would've been necessary. 600whp Hondas still run 24.5 granted there a lot lighter, but high 1.7s shouldn't be a problem for you if you get that turbo to spool any faster.

Also why the need for such a giant turbo? I've read somewhere you stated that the hx35 is out of its efficiency? I'm probably wrong but I've used that turbo before and it isn't a terrible choice for a 3.5.

Also your misfire issue could be something as simple as a wire related issue with your Emanage, had that problem with my UTEC. You should check all the coilpacks, or have access to a scan tool like MODIS, I think you can stream data for individual cylinders.

I don't think you really need nitrous to be honest, boost is plenty, and your trap speeds show a whole lot.

Also you should lean out your airfuel ratio slightly before you hit boost because it raises EGT's and that equals faster spool. If your only hitting 3psi in 1st gear your virtually making no HP since 3psi is probably doing nothing to that turbo.
My slicks are mounted on 15" sawblades which weigh about 17lb or so (the SE rims are my daily, notice on the vid the fronts are not SE rims), I like the 24.5" because it dosnt put me too low to the ground, my car is low and charge pipe will rub (i used to scrape it on 22" slicks), another reason I like these slick size is because it allows me to cross the finish line in 3rd gear, I really dislike having to shift into 4th. I think the 24.5 are fine for my setup, I also run with an unlocked auto so gearing is slightly shorter.

Well the problem with the turbo is the turbine housing (18cm^2 which is about 1.00A/R i think), it came with it so thats what I stayed with, for $250 you cant beat it, im not going to spend $600+ on finding the perfect size turbo.

Iv checked every wire and cant find anything, ran new grounds, done everything, coils are new and have swapped with two other sets i have, going to swap crank sensors as last try.

Without nitrous or a higher stall converter theres no way im going to spool the turbo, not even if i lean it out. Actually the AFR in 1st gear is already pretty lean and still got nothing, I was successful with nitrous with the turbo 3.0L, I was doing 8.6sec 1/8th with 100hp less than what I have now, and that was only with a small 35shot spraying upto 3500 rpm. Right now without the nitrous im doing the same 8.6sec so with the nitrous I should easily get into the high 7, and mid 11s in the 1/4.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:57 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Its about time you went. Nice times considering the misfiring.

Just to throw something out there, could the misfire come from a ground issue? Just mentioning this since you said that it started after you threw the other auto in there. You cleaned off the surfaces good before you put the tranny back up? I've never heard of this causing a misfire while driving, but people do report that it helps starting issues which could be attributed to ignition i'm assuming. In all motor applications it might not be as noticable, but in a higher powered setup like yours, where ignition is more crucial, it might just be whats causing it. If this doesnt make any sence, dissregard the post, but you've tried everything else already.

With as many wires you got running all over the place in that car, i'm sure you've got some solid grounds somewhere though. lol

Last edited by essential1; 12-24-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
Its about time you went. Nice times considering the misfiring.

Just to throw something out there, could the misfire come from a ground issue? Just mentioning this since you said that it started after you threw the other auto in there. You cleaned off the surfaces good before you put the tranny back up? I've never heard of this causing a misfire while driving, but people do report that it helps starting issues which could be attributed to ignition i'm assuming. In all motor applications it might not be as noticable, but in a higher powered setup like yours, where ignition is more crucial, it might just be whats causing it. If this doesnt make any sence, dissregard the post, but you've tried everything else already.

With as many wires you got running all over the place in that car, i'm sure you've got some solid grounds somewhere though. lol
thanks,

Man I got grounds coming and going from every angle bro, got 4gauge ground cable from both strut towers(sanded), to the battery, manifold, alternator, tranny, ground from battery straight to the EU.

I just bought a brand new Crankshaft sensor, still misfired. Only thing left is change the cam sensor (which i dont think is going to do sht), and then change ECU. I am ****ing furious with this sht right now.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:28 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

thanks,

Man I got grounds coming and going from every angle bro, got 4gauge ground cable from both strut towers(sanded), to the battery, manifold, alternator, tranny, ground from battery straight to the EU.

I just bought a brand new Crankshaft sensor, still misfired. Only thing left is change the cam sensor (which i dont think is going to do sht), and then change ECU. I am ****ing furious with this sht right now.
Oh well, I tried. If anything, just send this one up to palm beach like eddy. We'll take car of it. J/K. Dont give up yet.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:34 AM

thanks,

Most electrical problems are from bad grounds. Did you check all of the grounds?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Most electrical problems are from bad grounds. Did you check all of the grounds?
^

Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 AM

^
To me that just says where you have the grounds. Did you make sure that they are all clean and have a solid connection with the metal?

Just trying to help.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:44 AM

To me that just says where you have the grounds. Did you make sure that they are all clean and have a solid connection with the metal?

Just trying to help.
Yeah, I added all those grounds to brand new surfaces, sanded it to the bare metal, also did the same for the cars existing grounds, sanded everything including the terminals. Also ran a 4gauge fused cable from the alternator to the battery.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:00 PM

Yeah, I added all those grounds to brand new surfaces, sanded it to the bare metal, also did the same for the cars existing grounds, sanded everything including the terminals. Also ran a 4gauge fused cable from the alternator to the battery.
Ok.
Well, good luck with the problem.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Ok.
Well, good luck with the problem.
thanks bro
Old 12-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks bro
Did you identify which cylinder the misfire occurs? If not ignition, look into the injector wiring as well, if you already havent
Old 12-24-2010, 12:55 PM

Did you identify which cylinder the misfire occurs? If not ignition, look into the injector wiring as well, if you already havent
I have not identified which cylinder(s) misfires, dont have a tool for that, just have the Blatz and EU. I have thought about the injectors, but if it was an injector misfiring, would the AFR lean out? my AFR stays completely flat even during the misfire and both banks individually stay flat.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:55 PM

+1

I had a misfire awhile ago, and it turned out to be a bad injector.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:10 PM

+1

I had a misfire awhile ago, and it turned out to be a bad injector.
Was it constant? or at WOT? how did you identify which injector it was?
Old 12-24-2010, 01:12 PM

Im ready to run. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally 1/4 runs, (pic, vid, and slip inside)