1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

1987 nissan maxima

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 05:16 PM

1987 nissan maxima

......... ok this is a long story so hope u you guys are interested. ok my uncles was driving his 1987 nissan maxima and as he pulled up to a red light it was fine then right at take off the lights all came on and would not restart not even a crank. so after a while he bought a new car and asked me if i want it for a first car im 16 and right about to get my licensce so i said sure and i had it towed to my other uncles house. then i fell in love with this thing the car is so nice 1987 nissan maximas are so nice fully loaded i cant imagine it coming off the lot with 0 miles what beautiful car!! and i started to work on it right away i found out the rotar wasnt turning which was the worst possible thing that could happen and we started working on it to change the timing belt and then we got to the timing belt cover off and noticed the belt wasn't snapped, just missing some teeth. so maybe the engine might not be messed up. and we put the new belt on and during the process we broke the crankshaft pully and we didnt put that back or anything that went with it but were pretty sure its not needed to start the car. and then we tryed to start it and it was cranking but not start. then we found out we had no spark, so we replaced, the plugs, rotar, cap, wires, and the ignition coil the black part not the metal bracket called the transister where the shyt plugs into it. and still no spark and im stuck here wishin i could get it running to start doing some stuff to it well any help is appreciated thank you tom
Old 07-18-2002, 07:14 PM

Re: 1987 nissan maxima

guys respond to this its me tommy i need to know whats wrong
Old 07-18-2002, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: 1987 nissan maxima

Originally posted by 87maximasefreak
guys respond to this its me tommy i need to know whats wrong
Well I was thinking. I dont know this one is wierd. the only thing I can think of was to replace the distributor itself. You said the rotor wasnt turning so you didnt get a spark. The distributor wheel, crank,whatever, is what turns the rotor inside the distributor cap. If the rotor isnt turning there could be something wrong with the distributor itself. Such as teeth fraid away. Not positioned correctly or out of alignment. Thats all I could come up with. Also if your going to take that out mark where it is so when you put a new one on or the old one back on you can put it back to where the timing was at.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: 1987 nissan maxima

Originally posted by max88q

Well I was thinking. I dont know this one is wierd. the only thing I can think of was to replace the distributor itself. You said the rotor wasnt turning so you didnt get a spark. The distributor wheel, crank,whatever, is what turns the rotor inside the distributor cap. If the rotor isnt turning there could be something wrong with the distributor itself. Such as teeth fraid away. Not positioned correctly or out of alignment. Thats all I could come up with. Also if your going to take that out mark where it is so when you put a new one on or the old one back on you can put it back to where the timing was at.
Make sure the battery isnt discharged any either. Make sure its charged.
Old 07-18-2002, 09:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1987 nissan maxima

alright guys listen this is what i did i replaced the distributor cap rotar timing belt battery spark plug wires and ignition coil the black part not the power transistor im going to buy that next and see if that gives it spark to start
Old 07-19-2002, 12:50 PM

okay put the engine at TDC on the compression stroke and remove the distributor. You should see a mark on the bottom where the gear drive is. Also there is a part that is slightly infront of it. Further instructions are in a haynes/chilton manual so I'd suggest getting one or get a nissan service manual. Also check the power transistor. I'm betting the car's timing is off.