1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

88 Maxima Smoking Prob...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002 | 06:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

88 Maxima Smoking Prob...

Well I took my car to nissan for the injector recall. It ran great before no problems but the fuel leak... I get back a smoking oil drinking ***** with a random miss while accelerating... i think it may be the coil on the miss. but for the blue smoke i have no clue whats going on. My car WAS tight.. never used any oil at all. now its using 2 1/2 quarts in 2 weeks.. WTF man i don't know whats up with it.. i'd appreciate some ideas on whats going on. thanx guys
Old 09-22-2002 | 09:46 PM

Re: 88 Maxima Smoking Prob...

Originally posted by OzzyRuleZ
Well I took my car to nissan for the injector recall. It ran great before no problems but the fuel leak... I get back a smoking oil drinking ***** with a random miss while accelerating... i think it may be the coil on the miss. but for the blue smoke i have no clue whats going on. My car WAS tight.. never used any oil at all. now its using 2 1/2 quarts in 2 weeks.. WTF man i don't know whats up with it.. i'd appreciate some ideas on whats going on. thanx guys
you check for a leak? oil leaking onto something hot could do that.
Old 09-23-2002 | 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i've checked it up and down for leaks... its coming out the tail pipe... don't know why though. it was fine till i took it to the dealership. running rich too with a miss when i first start it up when its cold... thinking it could possibly be dealer sabotage...
Old 09-24-2002 | 07:37 AM

Re: 88 Maxima Smoking Prob...

Originally posted by OzzyRuleZ

Blue smoke out of the tailpipe unfortunatley is big problems usually. You're burning oil. Somewhere you have oil leaking into the combustion chamber. Its either slipping past the piston rings or past the valve guides possibly. The random miss is because the oil burning in the combustion chamber is fouling out you spark plugs. If you take out you're plugs, one or more will be black and oily. Change your oil now, and put in the heaviest weight you can handle. Maybe 20W-50 if its not too cold where you are. Sorry man.
Old 09-26-2002 | 08:42 AM

On a better note, it may not be your engine. The problem could be as simple as your distributor. If your timing is off, or your vaccume advance is not working right you'll get that random miss and a little loss of torque. Also, the improper firing point might cause a bad burn and maybe the blue smoke is rich fuel or something... hopefully.
Anyhoo, check the rotor for good action, check the vaccume hoses and also make sure they didn't knock your distriubor retarded. If your timing chain and all is in good order, the distriubtor adjustment should be in the "center" if you know what I mean.
Old 09-26-2002 | 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Bleach
On a better note, it may not be your engine. The problem could be as simple as your distributor. If your timing is off, or your vaccume advance is not working right you'll get that random miss and a little loss of torque. Also, the improper firing point might cause a bad burn and maybe the blue smoke is rich fuel or something... hopefully.
Anyhoo, check the rotor for good action, check the vaccume hoses and also make sure they didn't knock your distriubor retarded. If your timing chain and all is in good order, the distriubtor adjustment should be in the "center" if you know what I mean.

That's a good point. But I think that blue smoke is burning oil and rich fuel, or unburnt fuel usually comes out of the tailpipe as white smoke. That's what I thought at least. Could be I'm wrong. Dunno. Anybody else know about the colors of smoke?
Old 09-26-2002 | 02:16 PM

Some people once told me that my 280zx had definatly blue smoke coming out the back. I was surprised. I had my car checked out because it failed emissions. After replacing the Fuel Pressure Regulator, the car got better gas milage and didn't smoke. it ended up that the fuel pressure was way too high.... so, about the color of smoke, black should be rich fuel, blue should be burning oil, white should be water in the exhaust. (coolant) But maybe sometimes rich fuel mixture looks dark blue!
Old 09-30-2002 | 08:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanx for the info guys, well as it turns out, i am burning oil it seems i have some blow by. not sure why, i tore both heads of it getting them machined and new cam seals and valve guides put in. which leads me to another question... how difficult is it to get the timing back to where its supposed to be cause taking off the cam gears moved the cams... thats the only part of the project i'm worried about... don't need any bents valves.