5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dreaded White Smoke ...(help) !

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 05:29 AM

Dreaded White Smoke ...(help) !

Dreaded White Smoke ...!

Hey Buds, a few months ago, i bought this 03 Max Car from a guy who sold it for his mother---an Old Lady who barely drove the car. The car had 90k on it...and looked like it was not being driven and neglected. I've done odds and ends to it...but nothing major.

Lately, ...i've been seeing White Smoke out of the Tail pipe for the past few weeks. It only shows when i start the car in the morning, and in 10 mins is gone. Now i'm concern because i'm getting other signs.

NEGATIVE READINGS
  • White smoke from Tail Pipe---only upon start up---lasting 10 mins---THEN GONE.
  • Misfiring---but not all the time. Code readings, -0306, random misfire
  • Bubbling from Radiator---although not to much (almost like there is air stuck in the system)
  • Car overheats---see that its loosing Radiator Fluid. Have to top off once a week
  • BLOCK TEST (turned from blue to a "sea green"---took about 10mins) --Positive
  • Funky smell from exhaust but only when the white smoke appears.
  • Pressure tested cooling system COLD---dropped in 20 mins from 21 to 17
  • Pressure Test showed a small leak in the front of car?---on the ground. Don't know what that is---i'm thinking Water Pump.
POSITIVE
  • Oil looks clean---no water or discoloration
  • Car runs strong---no loss in performance. Gun it and it Gets it---hauls ****.
  • No discoloration in Coolant tank or Radiator. Strong Green coolant color
Is this definitely a "blown HG or a fuel injector" gone bad?
Not sure why its missing...(i changed the front plugs n coils---haven't got to the back side yet)

I would sure hate to tear apart this engine only to find out it was an injector. HELL, i'm not even sure it would be worth pulling the motor (or replacing it)---talking big $ to get this done.

What other tests do you recommend to KNOW FOR SURE, what i am looking at.

IF it is HG's, how much time do i have to fix it ?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2015, 06:39 AM

Now this is weird...

Just came back from my mechanic----picked up the car.
No smoke...??
ALSO, he mentioned that the Water Pump maybe causing these problems ? IT LOOKS LIKE a small leak dripping down in the front under the water pump area, when under pressure...

NOT SURE if the water pump would lead to gases in the Reservoir tank (which is where i did the Block Test) ?

Anyone Know?