1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

1984 maxima project car, need some advice..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 04:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1984 maxima project car, need some advice..

Hey everyone, I have been pondering ther restoration of this car for years now. I just want to make it generally nice, all-rounder car. Maybe drop in a L28 NA, give it some body work and a fresh coat of paint, redo the interior. Or even stick the with stock L24E and tweak it a bit. here are a couple of my questions...

I heard somewhere alot of 280ZX aftermarket stuff works with the 81-84 maxima platform. I am interested in headers, cams, suspension, and engine dress-up items. I am guessing the headers would physically bolt up to the engine but...should I get 260Z headers? 280Z? 280ZX? Same for suspension...I dont know which ones to go with. If this engine blows...how hard is it to swap in a L28? Can your average mechanic do the swap? Can I use the same harness?

The car is appraoching 150k miles and all the powertrain is original. The engine has never been apart for anything. The suspension is SHOT (esp the rear) and the body is in SORRY SHAPE.

I know these are alot of questions and I am sure I will have more in the future, but this n00b would appreciate you 1st gen experts help!

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2002, 08:11 PM

Re: 1984 maxima project car, need some advice..

Originally posted by Samirr76
Hey everyone, I have been pondering ther restoration of this car for years now. I just want to make it generally nice, all-rounder car. Maybe drop in a L28 NA, give it some body work and a fresh coat of paint, redo the interior. Or even stick the with stock L24E and tweak it a bit. here are a couple of my questions...

I heard somewhere alot of 280ZX aftermarket stuff works with the 81-84 maxima platform. I am interested in headers, cams, suspension, and engine dress-up items. I am guessing the headers would physically bolt up to the engine but...should I get 260Z headers? 280Z? 280ZX? Same for suspension...I dont know which ones to go with. If this engine blows...how hard is it to swap in a L28? Can your average mechanic do the swap? Can I use the same harness?

The car is appraoching 150k miles and all the powertrain is original. The engine has never been apart for anything. The suspension is SHOT (esp the rear) and the body is in SORRY SHAPE.

I know these are alot of questions and I am sure I will have more in the future, but this n00b would appreciate you 1st gen experts help!

Thanks!
I'm no 1st gen expert, but the L28 is plug and play as far as the engine/transmission is concerned. You're good to go there. As far as performance parts, there is a plethora available from EVERYWHERE, depending on if you want to keep NA or go turbo. My suggestion is the latter

I think in the 2002 Nissan Motorsports Catalog, they have some stuff covering the 280Zs, most of it made of course by aftermarket companies that specialize in the 280Z and ZX. Of course, you're not going to have any support bearing that you're doing this for a Maxima and not a Z. Z drivers hate Maximas and same way around. I own both, so I guess you can say I hate myself.

http://www.zhome.com/rnt/L28conversion/3031FAQ.html

-A
Old 10-16-2002, 07:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

L28 swap

So I wont need a harness or ECU or anything? just yank out L24 and drop in L28?
Old 10-16-2002, 08:38 AM

Re: L28 swap

Originally posted by Samirr76
So I wont need a harness or ECU or anything? just yank out L24 and drop in L28?
I don't think you're going to need the harness, just the ECU. The pinouts on the L24 ECU is different from the L28 ECU.

-A
Old 10-16-2002, 09:06 AM

ECU, and the L28 air flow meter. Those are the only differences from the L24. Those two meter how much fuel goes in for the larger displacement motor.
Now the header thing has to do with the shape of the exhaust ports on the head. The 280ZX n/a 1979-83 has round port exhaust. So, what does the maxima head have? I'm not sure.

The 240Z-260Z has square port exhaust. I would think that the Maxima has round port like the 280zx. So get headers for that.

You can get a larger throttle body, port out your intake manifold to match, K&N filter and then a 2.25 inch pipe off the end of your headers. That's my suggestion. Of course, a 5-speed and a low geared differential like a 3.9 or 4.11 R200 would be very nice.

As for the suspension, the oil pan is front sump on the Max and rear sump on the ZX. So I noticed that the Max's front sway bar is very different. Get some urethane bushings for the end links, but don't try to put a larger ZX sway bar in there. The brakes on the 84 Maxima match front and rear the 1982-83 280ZX turbo and n/a. The strut inserts are the same as the 82-83 ZX, but that doesn't mean that a coilover setup for a ZX will work in the Max. Also, I think that earlier 1st gens had slightly different brake calipers and maybe strut designs. I'm still confused on all the changes from 81-84 on the Maxima.

Z-car people hate Maxima owners? I've never heard of that. I have both too, but I think a Z is better. I think a lot of Z-car owners are oblivious to the Datsun 810/Maxima and that it shared the straight six engine.

I've got an 84 Maxima that I'm doing the same too as far as fixing up the body and painting it. I'm leaving in the engine and I'm not really going to do any performance stuff to it now. If the engine ever dies, I'll drop in an L28 for more torque and maybe get a low rpm cam for added torque too. That's all I need for a family sedan.

You do realize that you can do a Chevy 350 engine swap just like a lot of Z owners do? (emissions though... watch out for that)
Old 10-16-2002, 09:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

oh yeah i am fully aware of the small block chevy option but i wanna keep it legal as much as possible and be cost effective. I am not looking to make a super fast super street machine, just a relatively quick, nice to look at classic max

Lots of good info so far guys! What kinda cost is a L28 w/ ecu and Air Flow Meter gonna go for froma junkyard?
Old 10-16-2002, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Bleach
ECU, and the L28 air flow meter. Those are the only differences from the L24. Those two meter how much fuel goes in for the larger displacement motor.
Now the header thing has to do with the shape of the exhaust ports on the head. The 280ZX n/a 1979-83 has round port exhaust. So, what does the maxima head have? I'm not sure.

The 240Z-260Z has square port exhaust. I would think that the Maxima has round port like the 280zx. So get headers for that.

You can get a larger throttle body, port out your intake manifold to match, K&N filter and then a 2.25 inch pipe off the end of your headers. That's my suggestion. Of course, a 5-speed and a low geared differential like a 3.9 or 4.11 R200 would be very nice.

As for the suspension, the oil pan is front sump on the Max and rear sump on the ZX. So I noticed that the Max's front sway bar is very different. Get some urethane bushings for the end links, but don't try to put a larger ZX sway bar in there. The brakes on the 84 Maxima match front and rear the 1982-83 280ZX turbo and n/a. The strut inserts are the same as the 82-83 ZX, but that doesn't mean that a coilover setup for a ZX will work in the Max. Also, I think that earlier 1st gens had slightly different brake calipers and maybe strut designs. I'm still confused on all the changes from 81-84 on the Maxima.

Z-car people hate Maxima owners? I've never heard of that. I have both too, but I think a Z is better. I think a lot of Z-car owners are oblivious to the Datsun 810/Maxima and that it shared the straight six engine.

I've got an 84 Maxima that I'm doing the same too as far as fixing up the body and painting it. I'm leaving in the engine and I'm not really going to do any performance stuff to it now. If the engine ever dies, I'll drop in an L28 for more torque and maybe get a low rpm cam for added torque too. That's all I need for a family sedan.

You do realize that you can do a Chevy 350 engine swap just like a lot of Z owners do? (emissions though... watch out for that)
ECU and Air Flow meter are the ONLY differences between the L24 & L28 engine? Are you whack?

-A
Old 10-16-2002, 01:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So theres more than that? What else will I need to change?
Old 10-17-2002, 09:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

what about the airbox/AFM, oh and can anyone tell me FOR SURE whether the exhaust ports are round or square on both the L28 and the L24. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2002, 01:16 PM
Charles Bisel

Why are you worrying about an 18 year old 1st gen Maxima if you've got a 2K2 WRX? If I were you, I'd spend the money on upgrading the WRX. Just use the old Max as a beater for the winter. Any money that you sink into that old Max, you're not going to get back if you ever decide to sell it.

-C-

Old 10-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah I know I wont get jack back on my investment, but its all setimental value for me. And I plan on keeping the WRX relatively stock (just minor mods) to use as daily driver, and the Max as the fun project car. My dad bought the car brand new in November of 1983 for my mom. She drove it for a few years, then my dad drove it, then I drove it. After that I bought a Subaru and donated it to my brother. Now me and my brother want to restore it and hand it down to my sister who is currently a freshman in highschool. Even SHE loves the car. I will post a pic of it soon. Its a sight for sore eyes...but we cant let it go!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:18 PM
Charles Bisel

Wow, I didn't know you had that much history with the car. Well, I can certainly understand where you're coming from, these old Maximas are great cars and it's really hard to part with them.

I'm wrestling with the decision on restoring my Max in a few years, but as you can see from the pic, my Max doesn't look too bad and doesn't have that many miles (compared to most 2nd gens out there). It wouldn't be that difficult to restore it, plus there's a lot more parts available for the 2nd gen than the 1st.

Well, best of luck to you. If you're definitely going to restore it, make sure you have access to all of the parts and services that you need to do it before you actually do it. It would be heartbreaking to get the project halfway done, sink $5000+ into it, only to realize you're having trouble finding the stuff needed to finish it.

Even though a 1st or 2nd gen Max isn't worth much even if restored, it sure is nice to drive an old Max that's in pristine condition, not too many of them out on the road. Plus you get the self satisfaction of completing a major project like that.

-C-

Old 10-17-2002, 09:03 PM

Restoration....

Sentimentality or not, a restoration shouldn't have to be cost justified, not even to the wife Without all the receipts in front of me I will guess that I have about 5-6 thousand into my '79 MG Midget, and there's no way it's worth that...AND it's torn down in the garage (AGAIN!!!) needing about another thousand in parts to get it back together. I call that winter, what are ya gonna do? The Max will most likely be the same story. It's a hobby. It keeps me away from those golfer *******, off the shooting range and out of the bar. Half the fun of driving something like the cars I have is knowing you (re)built it yourself. Sentiment is a bonus. Do it and do it well.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Amen!
Old 10-18-2002, 10:19 PM

Ummm... back to the engine. What I meant was that the Air Flow Meter and ECU are the only parts you need to change on the fuel system to get it to run the 2.8L engine properly. They will meter in the additional fuel for the addition engine size. The block itself is taller so you'll have to use the front cover from the L28.

Basically, just drop in the L28 longblock and hook everything else back up. Plug in the L28 AFM and computer. Or, if you already have the wiring harness ect. from the L28 you can use its own intake manifold too.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:02 PM

get a L28, boost it and upgrade suspension and you are pimping. Find a manual if you can.

Best of luck and don't forget the NOS!!!
Old 10-20-2002, 08:58 PM

if you happen to need a sunroof for this potential beast, give me a pm. ive got a sunroof from my wrecked 83 that i need to unload.

kevin
Old 11-21-2002, 05:06 PM

I installed Moog progressive resistance springs and new struts -- no more sagging rear!!!