1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

87 Maxima -pulls right

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

87 Maxima -pulls right

With 60K miles on my 87 standard sedan Maxima it is pulling hard right, steering wheel oscillates a bit, and I am ready to repair it. Right front tire tread is worn on pattern nearest engine.

We are getting various answers about what needs
to be replaced. One mechanic says lower ball joints are really loose and outer tie rods are worn and both must be replaced.

Another mechanic said the power steering rack and pinion is worn, is the cause, and needs replacing. I replaced that 20,000 miles ago. We drive less than 3000 a year. All agree the front end needs realignment.

Can someone explain if the power rack and pinion is a likely cause of the symptoms and tire wear?

Can rotating the tires lessen some of the pull to right?

Can worn ball joints and tie rods be the cause of
pulling right, tire wear, jiggling steering wheel?

I really need help with understanding what actually might need replacing.
Thank you, Dave Shalita
Old 12-11-2002, 09:05 PM

I had crapped out lower ball joint and cv boots, it didn't seem to pull for me but the wheels did jiggle, the car was lifted up and tried to move the wheel with my hand left and right, and it moved, it's not supposed. The front tires were also really worn on one of their sides. I don't know anything else.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:23 PM
Charles Bisel

I'm having a similar problem with my '88, 120K miles on it, though I've had the problem since the car had about 100K on it.

The car pulls hard to the left, despite a full 4 wheel alignment and balancing. Also, the car shakes as if the wheels are unbalanced at about 55-70 mph, usually depends on the engine load. And like I said, they've been balanced at least twice already.

The thing that makes me think it's either a ball joint or a tie rod end, is the fact that it makes this clunking noise up front every now and then, usually when I drive it over some bumps, especially while I'm turning left.

I haven't had it checked out professionally though, I suppose once something breaks I'll get it fixed. The car's driveable and I haven't noticed any major tire wear as a result of the problem. But yeah, I think it's either the tie rod end or the ball joint or a combination of the two. Listen for any thumping sounds coming from the front end of the car, especially the right side since your pulling to the right.

I doubt it's your steering rack. I can't believe you only had 40K on the car and you had to replace the rack and pinion, that's quite unusual, they usually last well into the 200K mile range. I'd consider going to a different mechanic if I were you.

Also, don't bother rotating your tires (unless you have to) as that's not going to solve your problem. Also, don't bother aligning or balancing the wheels, as that won't solve the problem either, I've tried both, once when I got my new wheels and tires, and the second time when I replaced the struts, didn't solve the problem one bit. Also, before you go ahead and replace any front end parts, make sure your struts are in good shape. I think the fact that my struts were bad helped contribute to the damage to my ball joints / tie rod ends. There are a number of ways you can check the struts, I usually push down hard on each corner of the car, if it bounces, then they need replaced.

-C-

Old 12-12-2002, 02:38 PM

ok this must be a maxima thing cos my 88 with 175K miles on it does the same exact thing. when I bought it, the alignment was off, I had that done and it seemed to be ok until one of the spindles went and I had that replaced. then it started pulling again. so I had another alignment done, which didn't do anything, and I had them realign it which still did very little. All the while, anywhere between 60 and 75 mph the thing would vibrate. the front tires were completely worn down to the belts on the inside edges. so I got new tires. it's been in the shop for the past week and a half for inspection, and I got a new rim (one had a small bend) and 2 new back tires. I just got the car back today and I'm going to see if it still vibrates. the alignment seems to be fine. I consider it a minor problem for a car with 175,000 miles on it. like everything else, it'll eventually get fixed.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:31 AM

Re: 87 Maxima -pulls right

First things first - if the ball-joints are loose, replace them...same with the tie-rod ends...if either actually breaks while you are driving, you will lose control of the car.

Check the front struts, as C said, as that can and will cause excessive wear on the front end components...the outer tie-rod ends should be the only thing you need to replace - the inner should have been a part of your rack assembly.

I would not suspect the rack assembly - never heard of a rack causing a vibration.

The thing that caused mine was a badly warped rotor...due to a caliper seizing up. Look at you wheels, and check you pads...if one front wheel shows a noticably higher amount ok black brake dust build up, I'd suspect the caliper...does the vibration get worse when you brake?

My recommended course of action, replace the ball-joints and the tie rod ends, check you struts, then have the front end aligned and tires balanced. If it still occurs, see if you can get your front rotors turned. Rotors will not usually cause unusual tire wear.

The procedure for doing the ball-joints and tie-rod ends is easy, and can be done in a weekend by yourself, if your mechanically able to do the work...the parts should only run you about $60 to $75 for BOTH sides, if you shop around for parts.

If you decide to do the replacement work yourself, let me know if you need any help. Both the Chilton & the Haynes manual give extra steps that are not needed...BTW, if your struts are suspect, replace them at this point, as most the the disassembly required for the the strut replacement has to be done for the tie-rod ends and the ball-joints. I just recently did mine, so I have some tips for ya, if you need them...
Old 12-18-2002, 08:00 PM

pulling right

Your car amy be suffering form too little use. Definitely check the status of the right caliper to make sure it is not seized from sitting. More likely though everything said below is right on the money. My 1988 Max Wagn(158K) has new balljoints and outer tierod ends also repacked and rebooted inner and outer CV joints and although the steering is much tighter I still get a hint of vibration at about 75mph. I did this when I swapped the engine in 12/99. Also all 4 new tires wear OK. Front Struts will be replaced over holiday
matt