1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Exhaust Systems...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 10:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Exhaust Systems...

Where can I find a good exhaust system? Is it a direct bolt-on or do I have to modify it?

The reason I am asking the stupid questions is that I've tried to find them for my year model online and can't find them......and I refuse to use the SEARCH function!
Old 12-18-2002, 08:13 PM

Re: Exhaust Systems...

yea pacesetter makes a bolt on kit for our cars. if u wanna kno how it runs ask charles he has it on his

~mike
Old 12-18-2002, 08:51 PM

Yeah but . . .

You're right, Pacesetter does make a kit, but it's only a 2" kit. I guess considering that stock, the Max was N/A, 2" is good in that case. I would've liked a 2.5" or even 3". Oh well.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:06 PM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, it's only a 2" kit, but it's got the mandrel bent piping to allow better flow. It's got black piping and a black muffler, with dual, angled cut, 2.5" tips. For some reason their website only lists the rear section, but I was able to get the entire catback system from them. I doubt they discontinued it and only carry the muffler, so their website is probably erroneous.

It's really sweet, it's got a nice performance sound to it, not like those annoying fart cans. I did notice a slight increase in performance throughout the entire RPM range. I'd recommend it as a good upgrade for the exhaust, unless you go turbo.

I decided to upgrade my exhaust to the Pacesetter cat-back system whenever my original muffler rusted out. I figured I might as well get some extra performance since I have to replace it. It's also designed to last longer than most mufflers since it uses corrosion resistant aluminized steel. I'd say the only down side was the tailpipe tips. They originally had yellow inside of them, but over the past year they've turned a dirty yellow, almost black from the exhaust. Also, there was this yellow stripe that went around the tips, but it's coming off and is all dirty. The tips are welded on, so if you want to replace them you'll have to cut them off and weld new ones on. Other than that, it's a great setup, looks good under the car unlike those big, ugly, shiny fart cans, sounds nice with a strong sound but not overly too loud, and performs well too.

-C-

Old 12-20-2002, 05:36 PM
I love lamp.

Other than pacesetter, the only way to go is custom. For this car, YOU DON'T WANT TO PUT ANYTHING LARGER THAN 3". This car depends on some backpressure to help with the low end. The best way is to go 2.5" through out with a 2.5" cat and universal performance muffler. For those that are sticking with NA cars, you might be able to find some Z31 NA headers to complete the job. Like Charles was saying, be sure the place that does the work does a mandrel bend, and not the crush bend. The crush bend will basically make the whole idea worthless. Even with what I say, you will probably notice it takes a little more to get going, but you will definately have the upper end to make up for it.

Sarin
Old 12-20-2002, 11:24 PM

So then it's 2.5". How much does one costs? If its around 200 dollars, I'll get it. I went to a little mini meet (Maximas only) at Iansw place and now he has got me going crazy for getting more power under my hood. Besides, I am about to go to Germany to take on Opels and Citreons. I know I can't handle VW, BMW, and Mercedes.......
BTW, you should've seen Iansw ride! A fargin' supercharger! Now I am on the hunt for one of those too!
Old 12-21-2002, 05:33 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by GundamWZero
So then it's 2.5". How much does one costs? If its around 200 dollars, I'll get it. I went to a little mini meet (Maximas only) at Iansw place and now he has got me going crazy for getting more power under my hood. Besides, I am about to go to Germany to take on Opels and Citreons. I know I can't handle VW, BMW, and Mercedes.......
BTW, you should've seen Iansw ride! A fargin' supercharger! Now I am on the hunt for one of those too!
I was quoted 225 for doing a cat back 2.5 inch exhaust, but I had to provide the muffler, which can be anywhere from $75, to a few hundred. Also keep in mind, on the 86, they have a single pipe exhuast, the 87-88 have dual exhuast coming out of the motor, if you want to do the dual, you have the cut the notch out of the rear valence deal, so it would be wide enough or the exhuast won't fit nicely. Also, the guy with the supercharger, is it a second gen? **** I've been trying to find out some Maxima meets but never can find one.

Sarin
Old 12-21-2002, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by maximase86

I was quoted 225 for doing a cat back 2.5 inch exhaust, but I had to provide the muffler, which can be anywhere from $75, to a few hundred. Also keep in mind, on the 86, they have a single pipe exhuast, the 87-88 have dual exhuast coming out of the motor, if you want to do the dual, you have the cut the notch out of the rear valence deal, so it would be wide enough or the exhuast won't fit nicely. Also, the guy with the supercharger, is it a second gen? **** I've been trying to find out some Maxima meets but never can find one.

Sarin
Nah, he is a 4th gen owner. I swear, if I don't get a BMW in Germany in the next 4 years I am there, I am getting a 4th gen Max.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:17 PM
I love lamp.

Nah, he is a 4th gen owner. I swear, if I don't get a BMW in Germany in the next 4 years I am there, I am getting a 4th gen Max.
**** you better get a BMW there, they are cheaper....its the importing...now that is expensive. If I ever go to Germany, I would get one of 3 cars. An M5, E55 AMG/E500, or a CL55 AMG. Though they maybe taxi cabs in germany, driving a euro spec car is just like sex, just be sure you don't mess up the leather!

Sarin
Old 12-21-2002, 11:13 PM
Charles Bisel

Forget BMW's and MB's. When you're in Deutschland, you want an RUF Porsche 911 that'll hit 220 on the Autobahn with no trouble at all. Just make sure you're doing it at night as there can be a bit of traffic during the day. In fact, RUF tests the Porsches they modify for top speed before they deliver them back to the owner. They do the test runs in the middle of the night on the Autobahn.

-C-

Old 12-22-2002, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by maximase86

Sarin
What part of Washington are you from? If you are Seattle, check out the Northwest forums here on the .org. we had a mini-meet about one or two weekends ago. The guy who has the supercharged Maxima, Iansw, is part of that group.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
Forget BMW's and MB's. When you're in Deutschland, you want an RUF Porsche 911 that'll hit 220 on the Autobahn with no trouble at all. Just make sure you're doing it at night as there can be a bit of traffic during the day. In fact, RUF tests the Porsches they modify for top speed before they deliver them back to the owner. They do the test runs in the middle of the night on the Autobahn.

-C-
You know how much change I would have to dump to own and maintain one of those? I couldn't afford to pay and just sit in the seat!
Old 12-22-2002, 01:02 PM
I love lamp.

What part of Washington are you from? If you are Seattle, check out the Northwest forums here on the .org. we had a mini-meet about one or two weekends ago. The guy who has the supercharged Maxima, Iansw, is part of that group.
I live up in Lynnwood, between Seattle and Everett.