1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

1988 Maxima GXE

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 07:51 AM

1988 Maxima GXE

Hello everyone..

I just bought an 88 Maxima GXE (brougham) yesterday. I've known the last two owners and I must say that the car is in amazing shape.

Never having owned a Nissan before, I'm still poking around and getting used to it, but before long I'll be starting on the soundsystem (the only thing on the car that doesn't work, and it's just blown speakers...), and who knows what else.

Right off the bat however, i have a question. I'm heading out right now to buy a Haynes manual for the car because of a problem that started last night. I ran the car all day yesterday and it would sit and idle fine, run fine, never seeming to have a problem. Last night however it began losing power at idle (whether in neutral or stoppped at a stop sign). While it runs fine if I give it a bit of gas, as soon as it is idling on its own it drops in rpms and stalls.

I can stop this from happening by holding the acellerator to keep it at 1000 rpms, but obviously this isn't the best solution.

I did take it to have it washed last night, so I am wondering if perhaps it could be the wires, right now I have it in my garage drying out properly and I'll see how it runs later. It has a new battery, alternator and distributor, with reciepts in the glove box (within last 6 months), so I am not really considering them for now. It has been tested for electronics last week and everything checked out fine (actually the last owner did a lot of repairs to various electronics such as the digital dash that is definitely a big plus).

The alternator charge drops off, but only once the motor starts to "bog down" (which is what it seems like)..

If anyone has seen this before or knows someone who has, any help would be appreciated. I'm anxious to get familiar with the car, but I'm definitely not there yet. I do however have a pretty good knowledge of automobile mechanics so i don't think it'll take all that long...

One last quick question, what should my oil pressure be at(hot and cold)? I'll probably readf it somewhere later, but the sooner I know the better...
Old 12-19-2002, 08:19 AM

Something else...

Before I bought the car i did some research and had found a page that explained how to enter a new code for the touchless entry (both last owners didn't know the code).

This involved something about reading the last 8 digits off the control module somewhere in the front passenger footwell and then using it to reprogram a new code.

Now that I have the car, I can't find that page again.. Figures, anyways if anyone knows how to do this or where the info might be, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I don't want to end up messing it up..
Old 12-19-2002, 09:51 AM
Charles Bisel

As for your engine problem, that could be any number of things. You may need new plugs and wires, that's usually what causes those kinds of problems. It also may be something with your fuel system, maybe a faulty injector or a dirty fuel filter. It could also be a sensor going bad, I'd check the ECU for any faulty sensors and for the fuel/air ratio. Take note of when the problem happens, that could help you narrow it down. Does it happen when the engine's cold, hot, or both?

As for the oil pressure, that varies greatly given the engine temperature and the condition of the car. As long as it's not 0, you have nothing to worry about. Mine usually runs around 60 psi when I first start it up on a cold day. When it's running, it can go anywhere from 15-30 psi when warmed. At idle when warm, I'd say it's around 5 psi.

As for the keyless entry, the control module is in the trunk. Read the 7 digit F#. Press st/cl on the keypad, type that master code in, then there will be a long, continous sound. Type whatever 4-7 digit code that you want in, then it'll beep a few times to let you know that it's good.

-C-

Old 12-19-2002, 11:03 AM

Thanks!

I found the touch entry code but won't be able to0 get that working right away. It seems that the 5/6 key is the only one that isn't working on the drivers side and the whole thing isn't working on the passenger's side.

As for the motor, I'm pretty sure I can hear a squeal of sorts so I'm wondering which pulley's bearing is going. I'm thinking that's what it is and it's putting more of a load on at idle thus stalling it.

It's going into the garage tomorrow morning for it's first check-up and a good looking-over so I'll know more then.

Thanks again
Old 12-19-2002, 08:25 PM

Make sure you check the recall status

Check the vin with a dealer to see if the injector recall has been done. Nothing like brand new injectors and fuel rails on a 14 year old car.

mattk
Old 12-23-2002, 12:54 AM

could be your air regulator, try engaging the rear defrost (when it drops) and watch the rpms go up
Old 12-24-2002, 06:40 AM

Gotcha..

Well,

Turned out the previous owner clued me in on it. It was the air induction tube tha wasn't connected properly and popped off.

Simple fix! I love it already!

Thanks for the replies, and

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!