3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Replacing injectors. What else should i do while in there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 05:49 PM

Replacing injectors. What else should i do while in there?

Okay guys, be easy on me. 92 max gxe. 144k on the dash.

Recently got a better job, and can AFFORD to take car of my car. lol.

Ideally, I want this car to last for the rest of my life. I have little to no experience on working on her, but i do have great friends that are willing to help me put in these new injectors.

Anything else i can do while half of the engine is taken apart? Haven't done much with the car internally besides buying a couple vaccumm tubes, doing tranny fluid flushes, and swapping the seal (between the top and bottom of the engine; can't remember what it's called right now.)

I've read and heard some horror stories about belts breaking, causing stuff to get bent or break, and people junking their cars. Any belts worth doing while in there?
Old 08-06-2015, 08:37 PM

It's much less than 1/2 of the engine, there's not much else to do that you can't do with the plenum installed. You could replace the valve cover seals, or do a valve adjustment while you have access to the valve covers, but that's about the only maintenance that requires having the plenum off.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 AM

You could replace the valve cover seals

I had to do this recently and it was a ****-ton of work.

Since you're already going to be that deep it's super easy and fairly cheap.

Come to think of it I should have probably just pulled the trigger on new injectors while I was that deep in...

Edit: make sure and do all of your research before you tackle this project. I would recommend getting the little cheap EGR gasket from Nissan since you'll need to pull it off as a part of the process. You'll also need the upper plenum gasket. If you do a little searching on this 3rd gen forum you can find the Nissan part number for the EGR gasket. The plenum gasket you get from your local auto parts store will work just fine. Same goes for the valve cover gasket.

Be careful taking your distributor off, and putting it back on as well. Orientation is critical. If you get that bit wrong you'll be very frustrated.

Best of luck!

Last edited by AzureblueZ; 08-07-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 AM

Plenum gasket! that's the word i couldn't think of! Changed that last injector (5 months-ish), had to nearly scrape the old one off.

What's the difference between a plenum gasket and a valve cover gasket?

Also; what would advusting the valves do? Would that be similar to adjusting the timing?
Old 08-07-2015, 02:14 PM

Scratch what I said about the valve adjustment, it doesn't even apply due to the design. Not sure what I was thinking when I suggested that, this ain't no Honda. Also, unless you have a major leak, don't even replace the valve cover seals. A little grease isn't a major leak, but you might want to give them a good cleaning if you don't intend on being in there again.

Don't remove anything you don't have to. You don't have to remove the EGR, the throttle body, or any other components that bolt up to the plenum, regardless of what the manual or anyone else says. It's a simple matter of removing the hex bolts, hoses, lines and pulling it off. The only gasket you need is the plenum gasket, and if you have the metal type, you can reuse it. Make sure you tighten the plenum bolts down in the correct order as shown in the service manual and you should be good to go.

Last edited by Hectic; 08-07-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ray229Harris
What's the difference between a plenum gasket and a valve cover gasket?
The plenum gasket is the gasket in between the upper and lower intake plenum manifold.

The valve cover gaskets are a thick, rubbery gasket that sits below the valve covers. When they go bad oil starts leaking out from the area where the gasket sits and gets on everything. Then you'll get a nice oil smell through the vents
Old 08-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

injector replacement

The two screws holding the injector in place are very soft and the phillips is easily stripped. When that happens squeeze a vice grip on the head and the screw will break loose with ease. I recommend you replace all these bolts. The Nissan replacements now have a hex head to where a 1/4 socket makes loosening and tightening that much easier.

If you have trouble getting the injectors to come out, those o-rings will seriously get stuck, I have used a noose made from 1/4 inch rope with flawless results. A helper makes this step easier but is not necessary.

John
Old 09-11-2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ray229Harris
Okay guys, be easy on me. 92 max gxe. 144k on the dash.

Recently got a better job, and can AFFORD to take car of my car. lol.

Ideally, I want this car to last for the rest of my life. I have little to no experience on working on her, but i do have great friends that are willing to help me put in these new injectors.

Anything else i can do while half of the engine is taken apart? Haven't done much with the car internally besides buying a couple vaccumm tubes, doing tranny fluid flushes, and swapping the seal (between the top and bottom of the engine; can't remember what it's called right now.)

I've read and heard some horror stories about belts breaking, causing stuff to get bent or break, and people junking their cars. Any belts worth doing while in there?
I just read this; I hope you did the knock sensor while you had the intake apart. I did on my SE anyway.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:21 PM
JvG

Be sure to replace the fuel line hoses while you can. You would kick yourself if the old ones leak someday.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by londonflu
I just read this; I hope you did the knock sensor while you had the intake apart. I did on my SE anyway.

He has a gxe (vg) engine which has the knock sensor near the exhaust manifold which isn't as accessible by taking off the intake manifold like the se(ve) engine.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
Be sure to replace the fuel line hoses while you can. You would kick yourself if the old ones leak someday.
+1 on that. For what a foot of fuel line tubing is worth this is definately a good thing to do while in there. Valve cover gaskets too but only if they're leaking oil if theryre not leaking and your on a budget you should probably just leave em alone and just check to make sure the valve cover screws are good and tight but definately change the intake/plenum gaskets when putting it back together.

Last edited by ac max 92; 09-16-2015 at 08:19 PM.