1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

They want $300 labor only to do the rear shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 09:31 PM

They want $300 labor only to do the rear shocks.

I looked and it is very complex to remove them but is this a lot of money or what? I live in Bellevue,Washington and the lowest price house in town starts at $380,000 so there are no small shops that charge low prices. The small shop that I do go to just looks up the price in a book and it is usually the same as the Nissan price. This price is for labor only and the shocks are $80 more for Monroe's. These shocks are so stiff that I can't move them with my arm and they have a lifetime warranty so just how bad can they be? Most of the driving around here is just sitting in traffic anyway.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:25 PM
I love lamp.

Re: They want $300 labor only to do the rear shocks.

Originally posted by siclmn
I looked and it is very complex to remove them but is this a lot of money or what?
WTF? They are ripping you a new one, there is no what it costs that much to remove that! That is the price you would pay to replace all your struts....labor and parts.

S
Old 01-17-2003, 05:05 AM
Charles Bisel

Yeah man, you're getting ripped big time. I paid around $350 for all 4 KYB struts and the labor to replace them. From what I've heard, it's not that difficult of a job.

Don't go to a place like Monroe, they charge around $400-450 to replace struts and they replace them with pieces of sh*t. You can get better struts and get them cheaper if you go to one of your local garages.

-C-

Old 01-17-2003, 06:27 AM

Not a bad price at all....

if you're Bill Gates.

The setup is not complex at all. In fact, the books show you have to remove the rear hub...this is not true. You can leave it attached to the strut - just be careful as it adds a significant amount of weight to the unit - they weight about 50-60 lbs when together. Then, just disconnect the parallel links, and the trailing arm on each side of the car. This will have the strut hanging free from the upper mount. Then, remove the three nuts from the top. The strut will drop right out - but remember, be careful - that *****'ll be heavy!

Then, follow the books for struts disassembly. You do not need to use a vise - I didn't have one big enough available at the time...just had my dad hold it in place when breaking the rod nut free.

As always, if you do your own struts, be SUPER careful with those springs...they are under a LOT of pressure.

If your struts have never been replaced with carts, be prepared for a mess when disassembling the unit...other than that, just follow the book...

You just have to remember, the books we use are not Bibles on how it should be done, to be followed to the letter. There are usually easier, faster ways of doing things, without compromising safety. Just use your head.

Where are you located, anyway? If the 2nd gens were more plentiful around here, I'd consider doing 2nd repair and tuning on the side...
Old 01-17-2003, 03:16 PM

Holy . . . .!!!

No duff, that is outrageuos!!!!!! As MAxWgn stated, it's not complex at all!!! Just use your head when working around the springs. Trust me man, it ain't rocket science. Krieky!!! That $300 USD is almost $450 CDN. That really is insane.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:57 PM
rcy

Originally posted by siclmn
I looked and it is very complex to remove them but is this a lot of money or what?
Maybe I got ripped, and I can't find the invoice to confirm it, but I remember paying $400 or $500 CDN to have the rear struts replaced on my 1988. I remember that the back seat had to be removed to get to the upper mounting bolts. Granted, my car is not in the best shape body wise - bought used and has a fair amount of rust, and I had to have one upper strut mount replaced which added about $70 if I remember correctly. The mechanic that did the work said he would never do another if he could help it, as there was that much labour involved. I suppose having to remove bolts that had 14yrs of rust on them may have been difficult, too.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey man, I gotta bridge to sell you..........real cheap!

Just kidding, partner. I hope you didn't pay for that. I would have done some pricing (even if it is not in my neighborhood) before I would have comitted to anything. If you did, can you spell JUDGE JUDY?
Old 01-20-2003, 08:25 AM

Re: Re: They want $300 labor only to do the rear shocks.

If the labor was that difficult at a shop, then they had no clue what they were doing...rear seat removal is easy...sorry, but it is...as for the bolts underneath, that's what penetrating oil and pnumatic tools were meant for...
Old 01-28-2003, 04:22 PM

2 wordz 4 ya : Rip Off!

I got my rear struts replaced for $170.
They did the work, I supplied the KYB's!
No doubt! It's has lotta labor to it.
Well....good luck!

peace.