1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

89 & up engine in a 1987?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 06:27 PM

89 & up engine in a 1987?

The timing belt tensioner stud on my son's 87 Maxima broke last weekend. We're currently shopping for an 89-94 Maxima as a replacement, but I plan to fix the 87 when I get time. Since the 87's engine had 182k on it, and it appears that every valve in it is bent, I'm looking for a replacement engine. It seems that the 89 and up engine is easier to find. I was told by a Japanese engine importer here in Atlanta that I could use an 89-94 engine in the 87 if I swap the oil pan, oil pump pickup and valve covers in addition to all the manifolds and other parts that would need to be swapped anyway. Has anyone done this? Are there any other issues involved? Do all the 89 and up engines have the oil filter in the front corner of the engine? I sure dreaded having to change the oil in the 87 with that filter buried in the back. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:56 PM
I love lamp.

Re: 89 & up engine in a 1987?

Here is how it is. The 89-91 Maxima SE and the 89-94 Maxima GXE is the same engine as the second gens, which is the VG30E. Now, may not need to do all those swaps changes. There may be a possibility to change the oil pan and oil pickup. You probably just swap the motor. Infact, if you can keep the intake manifold and all, I'd like to see pics of that. Also keep in mind, you'll probably want to use the ECU that goes with the year motor you getting. Either way, you should be alright.

S
Old 01-31-2003, 07:13 PM

I'm learning about the two different engines available in the 92-94's while shopping for a replacement car. From what I've read, I don't think I want the DOHC engine. It sounds like there are some problem areas (VTC solenoids), and replacement parts like a water pump appear to be more expensive for the DOHC engines. It will be driven by my 19 year son, so I don't want anything that will be high maintenance. The 87 was fairly reliable until the timing belt incident, so I'm leaning towards a pre-92 SE with the SOHC engine.

The engine suppliers I have found here in town sell what I think is a long block, I was under the impression that it didn't include intake, exhaust manifolds, etc. I'll have to call them back and clarify that. If that IS the case, I'm not sure if I want to try swapping the complete later model engine and then have to work out an ECU swap and possibly rewiring sensors etc. to make it work. I'll probably swap the 87's externals and keep it stock. I've got enough other home projects going, I don't need another one!
Old 01-31-2003, 09:04 PM
Charles Bisel

I don't believe the VE30DE engine (the one in the 92-94 SE's) will fit in the 2nd gen.

You could put the 3rd gen VG30E engine in the 2nd gen, but it would be a lot more work than for what it's worth. You're not going to get any increase in power (not that you'd want your kid to have more power anyway) and you won't get any better fuel efficiency either.

Your best option, which is also the cheapest and easiest, is to find another VG30E engine and drop it straight in, either from another 2nd gen Maxima or from an '84-'88 300ZX non-turbo.

Check out http://www.car-part.com for a database of scrapyards from around the country, you can find a decent engine for around $500-750. Just call up the salvage yard and they should be able to ship it to you, or find one that's close to you and go pick it up.

I know it's a bit more difficult to find an older VG30E engine, but it's certainly easier to do that than to try and retrofit a newer engine in an older car.

-C-

Old 01-31-2003, 11:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Charles Bisel
I don't believe the VE30DE engine (the one in the 92-94 SE's) will fit in the 2nd gen.

You could put the 3rd gen VG30E engine in the 2nd gen, but it would be a lot more work than for what it's worth. You're not going to get any increase in power (not that you'd want your kid to have more power anyway) and you won't get any better fuel efficiency either.

Your best option, which is also the cheapest and easiest, is to find another VG30E engine and drop it straight in, either from another 2nd gen Maxima or from an '84-'88 300ZX non-turbo.

Check out http://www.car-part.com for a database of scrapyards from around the country, you can find a decent engine for around $500-750. Just call up the salvage yard and they should be able to ship it to you, or find one that's close to you and go pick it up.

I know it's a bit more difficult to find an older VG30E engine, but it's certainly easier to do that than to try and retrofit a newer engine in an older car.

-C-

Yeah Id agree with Charles. Youd be puttin in way too much for just a replacement. And the VE's wont fit. Youre better off getting the vg30e from another 2nd gen. or possibly one from the 89s (3rd gen). I dont know about the new design of the vg30e thats in the 3rd gens. I think some carried for awhile the same old design like ours, not sure though. It could be a possible fit but keeping the intake collector I think would be hard since they are different in Design.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:17 PM

Well, since my last post to this thread, I've purchased a 1991 Maxima SE to replace the 87. I've also found a 1991 SE parts car that is owned by a friend and was rear ended and totaled by the insurance company. If my friend can settle with the insurance company, I should be able to buy it for about $500. It still runs, was well maintained, has 106K miles on it and can still be driven, but would probably carry a salvage title. My plan is to buy the car, use the engine for the 87 (for my daughter who will begin driving this summer), swap any parts that may be better from it to our "new" 91, then either part out the body or sell as a whole. My question is: will the 91 engine fit in the 87? I know I will have to swap over all the externals, and I don't have any problem doing that, I'll probably throw a timing belt, water pump, etc. on it while it's out. Are the block and heads the same as far a motor mount locations, timing belt cover bolt pattern, transmission bolt pattern, etc. If the engine won't work, I don't want to buy the car. There's not that much else on it that I really need to make it worth parting it out if I can't use the engine.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:19 PM

Well, since my last post to this thread, I've purchased a 1991 Maxima SE to replace the 87. I've also found a 1991 SE parts car that is owned by a friend and was rear ended and totaled by the insurance company. If my friend can settle with the insurance company, I should be able to buy it for about $500. It still runs, was well maintained, has 106K miles on it and can still be driven, but would probably carry a salvage title. My plan is to buy the car, use the engine for the 87 (for my daughter who will begin driving this summer), swap any parts that may be better from it to our "new" 91, then either part out the body or sell as a whole. My question is: will the 91 engine fit in the 87? I know I will have to swap over all the externals, and I don't have any problem doing that, I'll probably throw a timing belt, water pump, etc. on it while it's out. Are the block and heads the same as far a motor mount locations, timing belt cover bolt pattern, transmission bolt pattern, etc. If the engine swap idea won't work, I don't want to buy the car. There's not that much else on it that I really need to make it worth the hassle of parting it out.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by pkfinn
Well, since my last post to this thread, I've purchased a 1991 Maxima SE to replace the 87. I've also found a 1991 SE parts car that is owned by a friend and was rear ended and totaled by the insurance company. If my friend can settle with the insurance company, I should be able to buy it for about $500. It still runs, was well maintained, has 106K miles on it and can still be driven, but would probably carry a salvage title. My plan is to buy the car, use the engine for the 87 (for my daughter who will begin driving this summer), swap any parts that may be better from it to our "new" 91, then either part out the body or sell as a whole. My question is: will the 91 engine fit in the 87? I know I will have to swap over all the externals, and I don't have any problem doing that, I'll probably throw a timing belt, water pump, etc. on it while it's out. Are the block and heads the same as far a motor mount locations, timing belt cover bolt pattern, transmission bolt pattern, etc. If the engine swap idea won't work, I don't want to buy the car. There's not that much else on it that I really need to make it worth the hassle of parting it out.

Thanks for your help.
Like Charles said it isnt worth it, Nissan did alot of changes to the VG in 89 vs 85-88 Vg in the Max. Alot of the internals are different and look at them side by side totally different looking. Call courtesy and ask them most of the part numbers are different and arent interchangeable. Just drop another 87-88 motor in it!
Old 02-11-2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Like Charles said it isnt worth it, Nissan did alot of changes to the VG in 89 vs 85-88 Vg in the Max. Alot of the internals are different and look at them side by side totally different looking. Call courtesy and ask them most of the part numbers are different and arent interchangeable. Just drop another 87-88 motor in it!
I have a few 87 VG30Es from Maximas, and a few 84-85 from 300ZXs. Minor differnces between them. Everything bolts on. I'll sell one of the 87s for $400 plus shipping. You would want to put on a new timing belt, tensioner, tensioner stud and water pump in it while it is out. But you would want to do that with any VG30E engine that you did not absolutely know when the belt was replaced, or with any used Maxima you get.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:17 PM

Yeah, I think you're right. I was looking at the 87 today, and it does look different. I need to park them side by side and open both hoods and compare, but now I'm starting to think it's not worth the trouble. I don't want to go to the trouble of getting the car, pulling the engine and then not getting it to fit. Maybe when the time comes, I could get the 91 and then try to find someone to trade the engine out of it for an 87 engine! If anybody would be interested, let me know.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:39 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by pkfinn
Yeah, I think you're right. I was looking at the 87 today, and it does look different. I need to park them side by side and open both hoods and compare, but now I'm starting to think it's not worth the trouble. I don't want to go to the trouble of getting the car, pulling the engine and then not getting it to fit. Maybe when the time comes, I could get the 91 and then try to find someone to trade the engine out of it for an 87 engine! If anybody would be interested, let me know.
Do note that even though the 89 engine has a bunch of different gear on it, the base motor itself is the same. In fact, the only thing that is really different is the torque the engine put out, which is slightly more over the 2nd gens. This attributed partly because of how the intake was designed. I know for sure that the 89 and newer motors have a knock sensor, so you would have to run an additional wire. I forget which pins they go to on the ECU. Sensors are different, but you could just swap ECU's and wiring harnesses to deal with that.

S
Old 02-12-2003, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by maximase86

Do note that even though the 89 engine has a bunch of different gear on it, the base motor itself is the same. In fact, the only thing that is really different is the torque the engine put out, which is slightly more over the 2nd gens. This attributed partly because of how the intake was designed. I know for sure that the 89 and newer motors have a knock sensor, so you would have to run an additional wire. I forget which pins they go to on the ECU. Sensors are different, but you could just swap ECU's and wiring harnesses to deal with that.

S
I've seen the 3rd gen single cammers out of cars at a salvage yard (and the twin cam version, too). They look alike under the accessories. I did not really inspect the block castings for for the mounting position, to see if they have cast in threads in several locations like the VG30Es do. They do have a different intake, and a snorkle for the oil cap. There is not way that big wide twin-cam is going into a stock Maxima 2nd gen engine bay, or into a Z31 or 200SX SE engine bay either.