1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

a/c fan location

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 10:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

a/c fan location

Hello all, newbie here. Just bought my 87' Maxima 10 Feb 03 and am really starting to fall in love with it. I have always liked the Maximas. But as with the age of this car I did inherent some problems. First one is the safety recall on the injectors. The parts are on order now with the local Nissan dealer. Until then she runs real bad, when I drive her. But after doing some minor maintenance (plugs/plug wires/rotor/cap/fuel filter/air filter/oil change and oil filter/fixed drivers power window) I noticed one the fans on the radiator is VERY hard to spin, actually it won't spin at all. Its the one on the passenger side. The one on the driverside is easy to spin. Question is, is the passenger side fan just for the a/c or is it the primary fan for the radiator? Because if its for the a/c, personally I think it can wait. Other than that there are about 15-20 other issues I need to work out. Thanks ahead for all the inputs.

Steve
Old 02-20-2003, 01:04 PM
I love lamp.

Re: a/c fan location

Originally posted by 2gmax
Hello all, newbie here. Just bought my 87' Maxima 10 Feb 03 and am really starting to fall in love with it. I have always liked the Maximas. But as with the age of this car I did inherent some problems. First one is the safety recall on the injectors. The parts are on order now with the local Nissan dealer. Until then she runs real bad, when I drive her. But after doing some minor maintenance (plugs/plug wires/rotor/cap/fuel filter/air filter/oil change and oil filter/fixed drivers power window) I noticed one the fans on the radiator is VERY hard to spin, actually it won't spin at all. Its the one on the passenger side. The one on the driverside is easy to spin. Question is, is the passenger side fan just for the a/c or is it the primary fan for the radiator? Because if its for the a/c, personally I think it can wait. Other than that there are about 15-20 other issues I need to work out. Thanks ahead for all the inputs.

Steve
Basically, the driver side fan is the primary fan, the passenger side fan is the auxilary fan. Basically when your car is warm, or you have the A/C going at fan setting 1 or 2, the primary fan runs. When your car is hot and needs extra cooling, or a/c fan setting is on 3-4, the aux fan kicks in. You can test to see if the fan still works by turning on the a/c and turning on the fan to 4. They both should run. If not, then the other fan is shot. What you should do is remove the fusible link for the aux fan(its by the positive battery cable, the harness is green with orange tabs on it) so when the car needs more air flow, the primary fan will spin faster.

S
Old 02-20-2003, 03:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Awesome. I'll do exactly that tonight when I get home. Thanks a million for the help.