1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Cracked windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 01:50 PM
rcy

Cracked windshield...

So, like an idiot, I decide to wash the salt of my Maxima in the relatively (it was -17celsius outside) warm building I had it parked in. I then jumped on the highway for the drive home. Of course, the inside immediately fogged up. So I cranked the defrost on and continued driving. I start hearing this cccccrrrrrrrrrrrr sound, and right before my eyes a crack magically appears. It runs from the drivers side corner up about 3" makes a right turn, then across the whole windshield. At the passenger side it makes another neat little turn down and heads back towards the dash. The glass is still smooth on the inside, but on the outside I can catch my fingernail in the crack.

Should I replace this thing, or just wait for it to blow out and blind me?
Old 02-22-2003, 03:19 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Cracked windshield...

Originally posted by rcy
So, like an idiot, I decide to wash the salt of my Maxima in the relatively (it was -17celsius outside) warm building I had it parked in. I then jumped on the highway for the drive home. Of course, the inside immediately fogged up. So I cranked the defrost on and continued driving. I start hearing this cccccrrrrrrrrrrrr sound, and right before my eyes a crack magically appears. It runs from the drivers side corner up about 3" makes a right turn, then across the whole windshield. At the passenger side it makes another neat little turn down and heads back towards the dash. The glass is still smooth on the inside, but on the outside I can catch my fingernail in the crack.

Should I replace this thing, or just wait for it to blow out and blind me?
You should get it replaced. A cracked windshield can be hazardous because of the fact it can break while your driving.

S
Old 02-22-2003, 09:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Celsius? Must be from Canada........... Did the crack reach the end of the windshield (i.e. how long is it)? Is it one crack or did it branch out? Windshields are some pretty strong stuff. It would take a falling brick and a moving car to sucessfully shatter a windshield into glass particles. If it didn't reach the end of the windshield, you may have some time to replace it. I hate to say this, but you can use cold air to defrost a windshield; it was your warm body/climate that caused it fog up in the first place, and I know that you wanted to be warm (I would have did the same thing too). Next time when you are in a situtation like that, turn on the cold air, suck it up and drive on until it defrost.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:06 AM
rcy

Originally posted by GundamWZero
Celsius? Must be from Canada........... Did the crack reach the end of the windshield (i.e. how long is it)? Is it one crack or did it branch out? Windshields are some pretty strong stuff. It would take a falling brick and a moving car to sucessfully shatter a windshield into glass particles. If it didn't reach the end of the windshield, you may have some time to replace it. I hate to say this, but you can use cold air to defrost a windshield; it was your warm body/climate that caused it fog up in the first place, and I know that you wanted to be warm (I would have did the same thing too). Next time when you are in a situtation like that, turn on the cold air, suck it up and drive on until it defrost.
It's one long crack that starts about 2" in from the driver's side of the windshield at the very bottom of the glass, then runs up on an angle about 3", then turns right and runs till it's about 2" from the passenger end and then angles down and runs to the bottom of the windshield on the passenger side. It doesn't obstruct my view at all.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Charles Bisel

Unless it really bothers you, I wouldn't worry about it any time soon. As long as it doesn't obstruct your view, you'll be able to pass inspections. At least that's how it is in most states in the U.S., I don't know what Canada's rules and regulations are.

There really isn't a safety issue involved here, the windshield isn't going to spontaneously burst in your face. It's extremely strong and even if something did hit it, it's designed to absorb a lot of the impact. There's plastic film that's imbedded into the glass to keep it intact. And when it does break, which takes a lot of repeated force, it shatters into little tiny pieces that wouldn't really hurt you.

-C-

Old 02-25-2003, 08:25 PM

LOL! Sorry to laugh but the second day I had my car I wanted to warm it up before heading for work, so I went out, started it, and turned the defrost on full blast with hot air. I come back out, sit down, and hear a cracking sound. Sure enough, same crack and same location as yours.