1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Im pissed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 04:28 PM
I love lamp.

Im ****ed

Alright, I've done a few things over the weekend. Clean the car, installed a cone filter. Also over the past 2 weeks, I have been stepping my car down from 92 octane fuel. So the first week I ran 89 fuel. Car ran fine, just dandy. Saturday I stepped down to 87 octane. Well everything seemed fine. So I today, I'm driving, and since its warm out, I have the heater off, and all the windows down. The engine tends to run hotter...usually in the second half of the gauge, but it will never pass the tick mark before H. Well, get to the college, and have the car in second, the engine rpm's are about 1200-1500 and the engine starts knocking like a diesel. It clears at about 2k, but if I give it more gas, you can faintly hear it. I haven't notice knocking when the engine is cold though, but I will test it to make sure. Here are my guesses. 1. My car doesn't want to run 87 octane at all. 2. I need a tune up (I highly doubt, since its only been about a year since my last tune up, and I don't have any hesitation. 3. My timing is off just a tad, 4. When the engine is hot, the intake is sucking up a lot of hot air and causing detonation. Anyway, for those who have done the intake, what have you guys done to fix this issue? I'm think of going back up to 89 or 92 octane to see what I get...probably starting with 89 first. Then I'm probably gonna have to get cracking on making a CAI, since I don't want to but the stock airbox back on or even making a heatshield with sheet metal.

S
Old 02-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Charles Bisel

I responded to your problem at the club.

-C-

Old 02-24-2003, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Charles Bisel

-C-
Running excessive octane builds up carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, especially on top of the pistons. When you run lower octane afterwards, the carbon heats up excessively and is still glowing hot and causes predetonation before the spark plug fires.

You also said you have the timing off. That is something to look at for sure. Set it to spec.

Chevron makes a carbon deposit cleaner, which is in dilute form in their fuel injector cleaner, but which can be bought in higher concentration to clean up engines. It is called Techron. It is pretty good stuff.

What plugs are you running? I could use 87 octane with NGKs (which Nissan recommends) but not with other plugs I tried. I run NGK plugs, Nissan wires, Nissan cap and rotor, and stock timing without problem on 87 octane. I have trouble when I depart from this line up of ignition parts.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is what Im thinking of doing if I install my cone filter. Im going to get a heater duct and run it from the front of the car to the cone filter so it gets more cold air in than hot. About the engine thing try to atleast stick with 89 if knocking with 87. I never use 87 the lowest is 89 if the mid is 90 or 91 Ill use that. Especially since prices are so high now I had to stop with the more expensive stuff.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:27 AM

Had to change your subject try to refrain from the foul language even though you feel it.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:12 AM

-C-
Is the club working? I got something saying the archives arent avail.
Old 02-25-2003, 10:08 AM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by dr.disc

Running excessive octane builds up carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, especially on top of the pistons. When you run lower octane afterwards, the carbon heats up excessively and is still glowing hot and causes predetonation before the spark plug fires.

You also said you have the timing off. That is something to look at for sure. Set it to spec.

Chevron makes a carbon deposit cleaner, which is in dilute form in their fuel injector cleaner, but which can be bought in higher concentration to clean up engines. It is called Techron. It is pretty good stuff.

What plugs are you running? I could use 87 octane with NGKs (which Nissan recommends) but not with other plugs I tried. I run NGK plugs, Nissan wires, Nissan cap and rotor, and stock timing without problem on 87 octane. I have trouble when I depart from this line up of ignition parts.
I run NGK Resistor plugs. I'm not running NGK cap rotor, or wires though :\. I'm going to step up to 89 or go back to 92. I had an engine vac done back in August to remove carbon buildup. Probably need to run some techron though anyway.

S
Old 02-25-2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by maximase86

I run NGK Resistor plugs. I'm not running NGK cap rotor, or wires though :\. I'm going to step up to 89 or go back to 92. I had an engine vac done back in August to remove carbon buildup. Probably need to run some techron though anyway.

S
Unless you want to run a dremel tool or other wire brush on those pistons and valves, Techron is the only way to get at it I know of.
Old 02-25-2003, 01:37 PM
I love lamp.

Unless you want to run a dremel tool or other wire brush on those pistons and valves, Techron is the only way to get at it I know of.
Its a nice little system they have. They hook your motor up to motor vac machine and the pump heavy concentrated solvent through the motor for about an hour. I think they actually use techron, but I'd have to check with them. After that, they flush out the solvent and ba'am your set. Gets everything nice and clean.

S
Old 02-25-2003, 01:41 PM
Charles Bisel

Yeah, the club is working perfectly well. I'm surprised you had trouble accessing the archives, I can't remember the last time I had a problem with the Yahoo club, or any club on Yahoo for that matter. Now maxima.org, that's a whole other story. I usually have trouble reading the posts everyday.

-C-

Originally posted by max88q

Is the club working? I got something saying the archives arent avail.

Old 02-25-2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by maximase86

Its a nice little system they have. They hook your motor up to motor vac machine and the pump heavy concentrated solvent through the motor for about an hour. I think they actually use techron, but I'd have to check with them. After that, they flush out the solvent and ba'am your set. Gets everything nice and clean.

S
Very, very cool. I had no idea anyone did that. What does it cost?
Old 02-25-2003, 02:32 PM
I love lamp.

Very, very cool. I had no idea anyone did that. What does it cost?
About $120. It cleans everything including the fuel injectors. My car was running really nice after that was done. I think its worth the money.

S
Old 02-25-2003, 10:24 PM

Yeah, the club is working perfectly well. I'm surprised you had trouble accessing the archives, I can't remember the last time I had a problem with the Yahoo club, or any club on Yahoo for that matter. Now maxima.org, that's a whole other story. I usually have trouble reading the posts everyday.

-C-

Yeah maxima.org is known for the probs, Hopefully once things get situated here it might run better. The admin and some of the moderators are debating the server issues to make it to where we wont have any problems at all, and if so then a specific person can just fix it right then and there instead of having to call to get the server back up.