1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

2nd gear doesn't synchronize unless...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 10:02 PM

2nd gear doesn't synchronize unless...

I apply pressure to the shifter pulling it to the left. otherwise it seems it would rather not go in. Bushings in the shifter worn or synchros going bad???
Old 02-27-2003, 10:34 PM
I love lamp.

Re: 2nd gear doesn't synchronize unless...

Originally posted by John L
I apply pressure to the shifter pulling it to the left. otherwise it seems it would rather not go in. Bushings in the shifter worn or synchros going bad???
When shifting, try to give her some gas and engage second. If it engages, it probably means you got some clutch problem, or the syncro maybe going. As for the bushings, I think you will feel excess play with the shifter.

S
Old 03-04-2003, 08:29 AM

That's common for the late L-series 5-speed. My 280ZX has had the same problem since I bought it at 130,000 miles. 2nd gear was the first to go, then 3rd and even 1st started acting up. Now with 205,000 miles I have a spare transmission to drop in, just haven't found the time. A low mile transmission was cheaper than a rebuild, plus there's less downtime with a quick swap.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:29 PM

Hmmm

Now it's going into 2nd just fine on the upshift, but it grinds a bit going out (upshifting to 3rd) and on the down shift???
Oh, and while I'm asking questions, riddle me this: the fuel injectors I took out last spring?summer? are the ZX turbo injectors (according to VB Z &ZX catalogue)and I noticed last time I was under the hood the air flow meter is also a ZXT unit (VB catalogue also)How can I find out if my trans plant motor started out as a turbo, or if someone just used parts that they had laying around?
Old 03-05-2003, 06:40 AM
Charles Bisel

Maybe there's an engine code stamped on there somewhere that will have the turbo designation. Also, there should be a VIN number stamped on that engine somewhere, so maybe you can check through that.

-C-

Old 03-08-2003, 01:27 PM

There is no difference in AFMs turbo or nonturbo, Maxima or Z31. Turbo injectors are higher capacity, they squirt more fuel per squirt. If you have a turbo engine, the compression will be lower, and the pistons have concave rather than flat tops. A non-turbo engine should be able to run well on low octane fuel, which would be good in third world countries. It also would put out less hp. than a nonturbo engine, without its boost. Turbo engines have red rocker covers and na engines have silver ones. But then one of my Maximas came with red covers and one came with silver covers. The oil pumps on turbo engines have a larger capacity than the na oil pumps. It would not be easy to tell if you have a turbo engine without looking at the pistons or the oil pump, which would be too much work for mere curiosity in my book. You might see if you have a turbo type ECU. That is under the passenger seat.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:10 AM

First of all, it seems you're talking about the 2nd Gen Maxima/Z31. John has an 82. The L24/L28 and L28 turbo all do have different air flow meters. I would assume that turbo injectors would be running too rich in your car if you realy had them in there. The turbo AFM not only had different electronics, but it has a much larger internal diameter for more airflow. Maybe someone has modified your engine a lot by using the turbo AFM with non-turbo AFM internals and adjusted it for use with tubo fuel injectors. For a non-turbo, the fuel injectors are plenty for any rpm and only the AFM modifications are needed for more performance.
The L24 AFM has a strange design to it. The back side has an angled rectange adaptor to attach to the air box/filter right next to it. If you had an AFM from a Z-car, then it would be round in and out on both sides of the AFM. The 280zx AFM has a boot that runs through the front radiator support and the air filter is located in front of the radiator. (280zx has a longer, pointed nose then the Maxima) If you have a Z AFM in your car then you probably can't hook it up to the stock Maxima airbox.

the turbo uses an F54 block but the late 280zx n/a also uses that block. Like what was mentioned above, the turbo F54 has dished pistons and thick rings inside while the non-turbo would have flattop pistons. Now the turbo has a P90 head while the non-turbo would be a P79 head. Check your compression, and if it is around 170lbs or so then you're ok for a non-turbo motor. If its more then you just have higher compression than what is factory.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by Bleach
First of all, it seems you're talking about the 2nd Gen Maxima/Z31. John has an 82. The L24/L28 and L28 turbo all do have different air flow meters. I would assume that turbo injectors would be running too rich in your car if you realy had them in there. The turbo AFM not only had different electronics, but it has a much larger internal diameter for more airflow. Maybe someone has modified your engine a lot by using the turbo AFM with non-turbo AFM internals and adjusted it for use with tubo fuel injectors. For a non-turbo, the fuel injectors are plenty for any rpm and only the AFM modifications are needed for more performance.
The L24 AFM has a strange design to it. The back side has an angled rectange adaptor to attach to the air box/filter right next to it. If you had an AFM from a Z-car, then it would be round in and out on both sides of the AFM. The 280zx AFM has a boot that runs through the front radiator support and the air filter is located in front of the radiator. (280zx has a longer, pointed nose then the Maxima) If you have a Z AFM in your car then you probably can't hook it up to the stock Maxima airbox.

the turbo uses an F54 block but the late 280zx n/a also uses that block. Like what was mentioned above, the turbo F54 has dished pistons and thick rings inside while the non-turbo would have flattop pistons. Now the turbo has a P90 head while the non-turbo would be a P79 head. Check your compression, and if it is around 170lbs or so then you're ok for a non-turbo motor. If its more then you just have higher compression than what is factory.
Thanks for the info. I'll start with the comp. check. The doctor also mentioned cam cover colour, mine is neither of what he said is possible. I have (what remaims of) a gold anodized. I really need to get the #'s off the head and block, but it has just been too damn cold to be out doing anything, lately.
What I meant about the turbo injectors, is that they have a bit on the end that protrudes further down than the standard l28e ones that I replaced them with.