1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Sarin's Tip of the day

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 05:19 PM
I love lamp.

Sarin's Tip of the day

If your making a custom cai, besure to secure your piping first before going on a test drive. If not, you may end up with a lopsided cone filter.

I was doing my custom cai with the 3" dryer hose. Basically I had routed it around the front of the transmission down to over the splash pan. I though the the pan was holding it in place good.....wrong. When testing it out, I went over a bump and I hear this crunch, and then dragging metal. Well the crunch was my cone filter getting run over by front wheel, the dragging metal was the dryer hose. I pretty much now need a new cone filter, and the dryer hose was thrashed. Anyway...I'm going to wait and do that custom mandrel bend cai instead.

S
Old 03-18-2003, 07:35 AM
I love lamp.

Re: Sarin's Tip of the day

Tip of the day for 3/18/2003:

Plant your corn early......er not that tip....if you plan on putting in a FSTB, make sure you have an 87-88 EGR valve. It will help tremendously with clearance issues.

S
Old 03-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Sarin's Tip of the day

Originally posted by maximase86
If your making a custom cai, besure to secure your piping first before going on a test drive. If not, you may end up with a lopsided cone filter.

I was doing my custom cai with the 3" dryer hose. Basically I had routed it around the front of the transmission down to over the splash pan. I though the the pan was holding it in place good.....wrong. When testing it out, I went over a bump and I hear this crunch, and then dragging metal. Well the crunch was my cone filter getting run over by front wheel, the dragging metal was the dryer hose. I pretty much now need a new cone filter, and the dryer hose was thrashed. Anyway...I'm going to wait and do that custom mandrel bend cai instead.

S

LOL! D.amn Sarin..... having issues, huh? Don't take this the wrong way.... I just think that it is funny, that is all.
That is why I wanted to route my CAI a different way when I get it. Those Silvias and turbo 240zx at the meet gave me ideas on how to route a CAI efficiently and it will still perform right.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:25 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Sarin's Tip of the day

Originally posted by GundamWZero

LOL! D.amn Sarin..... having issues, huh? Don't take this the wrong way.... I just think that it is funny, that is all.
That is why I wanted to route my CAI a different way when I get it. Those Silvias and turbo 240zx at the meet gave me ideas on how to route a CAI efficiently and it will still perform right.
LOL, I've been having good luck today too. I broke my A/C switch! So now when you push the button it comes right back out....could you keep a look out for an A/C switch for me at the junkyards down there? Also I need one of the ***** that go to the lever's for the heater control. I lost one of mine and I have no idea where it went too. As for the CAI, I didn't place it where you had in mind, I placed it on the drivers side under the carbon filter. Not a good place....I think your idea would be better if you can shield the pipe from heat.

S
Old 03-18-2003, 07:30 PM

Re: Re: Sarin's Tip of the day

Tip of the day for 3/18/2003:

Plant your corn early......er not that tip....if you plan on putting in a FSTB, make sure you have an 87-88 EGR valve. It will help tremendously with clearance issues.

S
No wonder I didnt have any fitment probs. I was trying to figure out why you were.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Sarin's Tip of the day

LOL, I've been having good luck today too. I broke my A/C switch! So now when you push the button it comes right back out....could you keep a look out for an A/C switch for me at the junkyards down there? Also I need one of the ***** that go to the lever's for the heater control. I lost one of mine and I have no idea where it went too. As for the CAI, I didn't place it where you had in mind, I placed it on the drivers side under the carbon filter. Not a good place....I think your idea would be better if you can shield the pipe from heat.

S

It is called exhaust wrap, I think that it will do the job of preventing heat from getting into the CAI, although I heard that a WAI (warm air intake) produces more hp that a CAI. Read that in the 5th gen forum. The guy actually went, installed and dynoed three different intake setups. The WAI produced more hp than CAI.

I will make a run to the junk yard this week for those parts, but it is gonna cost you......
Old 03-18-2003, 10:30 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sarin's Tip of the day

Originally posted by GundamWZero

It is called exhaust wrap, I think that it will do the job of preventing heat from getting into the CAI, although I heard that a WAI (warm air intake) produces more hp that a CAI. Read that in the 5th gen forum. The guy actually went, installed and dynoed three different intake setups. The WAI produced more hp than CAI.

I will make a run to the junk yard this week for those parts, but it is gonna cost you......
No prob...as long as I'm not paying an arm and a leg for it. Could you also check to see if there is any 5-speed 2nd gens out there? I need the front engine mount...the one near the radiator and under the front exhuast manifold. I have to get this done soon...

S