1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Digital Dash Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 10:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Digital Dash Dead

OK, I'm sure there are threads in the past on this one, but the search feature is in malfunction mode as is my digital dash on a 1986 max. The dash is dead except the analogue lights like blinkers etc. I saved this car from the scrap metal crusher last month as a project for my son, re-did the suspention, brakes, drivechain, cooling system (complete) and it is now functional and I love the hard cornering capability and acceleration, but the gaping hole where the dash used to be is not a good feature for when he takes his drivers test! The dash came on once for me (full light) but went out on the next start. Does this dash have an internal or external power (illumination) unit? With power on, I only get voltages at the 16 pin connector to the dash at terminals 12 (4V), 13 (6.5V), and 15 (6.5V). I cant find the power unit described in other digital dash links (300zx) in this car and I am colorblind, and tonight was relying on my 6 year old daughter to do wire tracing for me through the dash and under the carpet (she is a trooper), but we couldn't find a "power unit". I tore the dash unit apart, but did not see any bad solders. The local junk yard wants $275 for a digital dash for this model, so you can understand my concern for a proper diagnosis. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2003, 06:04 PM

Re: Digital Dash Dead

Hope your son did most of the work, sounds like a lot of work done. If you don't have the factory service manual your really working in the dark. That digital display requires lots of tests to troubleshoot. There is a self-check to see if all the segments light up, I posted this before.

Press and hold the trip reset button down while turning from off to on, the ignition switch. You can release the button after the test starts.

That power unit is right behind the tach, a control unit is behind the speedo, lots to check depending on the problem.

If you don't have the FSM post your e-mail and I'll try and scan some pages for you. This may take some time because if my 31 month old girl sees me on the computer , it's her turn. Yeah, she can log-on and shut-down all by herself. Daddy needs that 10mm wrench again dear, can you go into the garage and find it for me, hehe.

You can try your luck here on eBay....not much time left....good place to find an FSM too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33675

AL
Old 03-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks!

This puts me way ahead in diagnosing whether the unit is getting voltage or not. Yeah, I was looking on the controller side, cause I saw the illumination light wiring coming in there. You can "feel my pain" being colorblind w/o a service manual working on an electrical problem! Saw your previous post, thanks, tried it, but this unit has dead LED's, that are not enticed to illuminate with the diagnostic procedure. My e-mail is jackmaegli@jvlnet.com, but please don't go through the scan trouble for me, I need to purchase a service manual on this beast anyhow, cause it's a keeper. I will now stop looking for the ellusive 300zx power unit externally. My 7 year old daughter has been of greater assistance than my 14 year old son in the "rebuilding" process, she has the intuitive curiousity a good mechanic needs, and can reach into the tight places I can't (I'm used to my Chevy's with an engine compartment the size of a football field). My son is on a hockey team that demands 3 hours of practice on weekdays, and the weekends are consumed with tournament play, so I am saving the paintjob on the car for him this spring.

Cheers!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Happy Ending

OK, so after tinkering with the unit for hours with an ohmeter and checking transistors etc., the e-bay replacement arrived and is working fine, and though I feel impotent as an electrician, have a working dash....for now.