1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Q: How do you remove the instrument panel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 10:44 PM

Q: How do you remove the instrument panel?

Hello!

I've got an 2/88 Maxima SE with 177000 miles in it. (no major overhaul yet)
(manual 5 speed transmission with mechanical speedometer)

Recently I noticed that the speedometer needle in the morning doesn't work at all, but as the car warms up it starts climbing and it keeps shaking way below the actual speed value.

I decided to replace the speedometer cable but I got stuck at the last phase of removing the instrument panel.

Question:
Do I have to disconnect the speedocable from underneath the dashboard before trying to remove the instrument panel(it looks like a major pain), or I can pull the instrument panel out enough so that I can reach the end of the cable and disconnect it that way?
What else can hold the instrument panel back?

- I already have the black faceplate with the blower grills removed,
- the panel with all the switches and the cutout for the stereo,
- the lower panel above your legs and the fuse assy.
- I've also disconnected the cable harness of the instrument panel behind the fuse box.

BUT, when I am tring to lift the instrument panel out I can feel a strong resistance from behind. I am assuming that the speedocable is the one that prevents it from sliding out but how the heck I can disconnect it from it?

(Btw., I have already checked the other end of the speedocable on the top of the transmission, it was a bit loose, but tightening it didn't make any difference.
But I noticed, that when I separated the cable from the head, I was able to pull the cable out of the houseing about an inch. (I didn't try it more, probably I should've.)
The new cable that I already purchased won't allow any longitudinal movement of the cable inside the cablehousing.)

Geza
Old 03-25-2003, 11:27 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Q: How do you remove the instrument panel?

You'll have to disconnect the speedometer cable from the transmission. Then you have to loosen the screws on the bracket on the firewall and feed the speedometer some slack. There is also a little rubber piece just below the bracket that needs to loosened. When you pull out the instrument cluster, you need to pull it from the left side, and disconnect the wire harness. If your harness is like mine, it will be a PITA to take off. Once you get that off, then you can move the instrument cluster out more to remove the speedo. After you get that, if should come out. While you have it out, I suggest you replace all the bulbs for the cluster....the big bulbs will be easy to find...the smaller bulbs will be harder to find.

S
Old 03-26-2003, 12:09 AM

Hello maximase86,

Thank you very much for the quick and detailed reply! I will finish working on my speedocable problem on the weekend.

Oh, and thanks for the extra tipp on the bulbs too!
(Although I am not sure if I should replace them because I have the instrument lights brightness dimmed, (set to approx. 30% of its total capacity) just because at night I prefer to have my instrument lights not to stand out from the city lights that enter through the windshield.) (not mentioning the total darkness on I-15 between Corona and San Diego.)

Thanks again for the solution!

Geza