1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 08:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

This car runs great except that it always bogs down at the shift points. i.e. 1st gear take off and then boggg....shift to 2nd, down to about 1500 runs great to about 2500 and then bog,shift into third gear. It also seems to have a pulsation at highway speed 55-65mph at around this same rpm range. Idles fine and runs strong otherwise. Any ideas appreciated.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:18 AM
I love lamp.

Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

Originally posted by HOOVERQ
This car runs great except that it always bogs down at the shift points. i.e. 1st gear take off and then boggg....shift to 2nd, down to about 1500 runs great to about 2500 and then bog,shift into third gear. It also seems to have a pulsation at highway speed 55-65mph at around this same rpm range. Idles fine and runs strong otherwise. Any ideas appreciated.
First thing I would do, is check your ECU for codes. It sounds almost MAF sensor related...start there and we'll work from that.

S
Old 04-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

Originally posted by maximase86

First thing I would do, is check your ECU for codes. It sounds almost MAF sensor related...start there and we'll work from that.

S
I did check for codes and none were present.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:36 AM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

I did check for codes and none were present.
Hmm. Next question, when's the last time your car had a tune up? Do you get any hesitation from the motor? If you haven't tuned the car up, I suggest you get change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. While your at it, you should chek the timing to make sure its where it should be at. Next thing I'd check is make sure you got a clean air filter. Also check your airbox for water. It could be your AIV is spiting out moisture and its screwing up your MAF sensor.

S
Old 04-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

Hmm. Next question, when's the last time your car had a tune up? Do you get any hesitation from the motor? If you haven't tuned the car up, I suggest you get change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. While your at it, you should chek the timing to make sure its where it should be at. Next thing I'd check is make sure you got a clean air filter. Also check your airbox for water. It could be your AIV is spiting out moisture and its screwing up your MAF sensor.

S
Actually I have done the whole tune-up and checked the timing as suggested. Please elaborate on checking the airbox for water and what you mean by the aiv spitting water. Is this easily checked and or remedied? Thank you for your quick and knowledgeable responses. If you like you can call me at 1-800-966-1580. Thank you,
Rob Lewis
Old 04-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

How did yuou check the timing? Did a shop do it for you, or did you do it yourself?

Did you disconnect the idle-up solenoid? If not, you will get an incorrect reading...
Old 04-08-2003, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

S
Hi again.
Here is what I have done today to further try to find this problem. Tookoff the AIV and found that the vacuum diaphragm on the top was not functioning as it was totally corroded and "crunchy" feeling when moving it. Also the AIV lower screws were all rusty and hard to get out,(moisture?) after getting them out and taking it apart it looked like the baffles? inside were just a glob of old rubber. Does this mean that the moisture has also gotten to the mass air flow sensor? Can I just disconnect the AIV as it looks like it has been this way for some time. This problem with the bogging has been going on for some time but it was my wifes car and she never complained about it, but now that I am driving the car it will drive me batty I'm sure. Thanks again for all the informative responses.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

Hi again.
Here is what I have done today to further try to find this problem. Tookoff the AIV and found that the vacuum diaphragm on the top was not functioning as it was totally corroded and "crunchy" feeling when moving it. Also the AIV lower screws were all rusty and hard to get out,(moisture?) after getting them out and taking it apart it looked like the baffles? inside were just a glob of old rubber. Does this mean that the moisture has also gotten to the mass air flow sensor? Can I just disconnect the AIV as it looks like it has been this way for some time. This problem with the bogging has been going on for some time but it was my wifes car and she never complained about it, but now that I am driving the car it will drive me batty I'm sure. Thanks again for all the informative responses.
Yes, this would strongly indicate that the MAF is shot, or about to go out...

First step is to either disconnect the AIV hose to the intake, or follow the other thread about totally removing the AIV completely...that will likely help with the problem...but I would seriously start putting some cash aside in case the MAF did become moisturized.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:04 AM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

Originally posted by MaxWgn

Yes, this would strongly indicate that the MAF is shot, or about to go out...

First step is to either disconnect the AIV hose to the intake, or follow the other thread about totally removing the AIV completely...that will likely help with the problem...but I would seriously start putting some cash aside in case the MAF did become moisturized.
Yeah, and I would start thinking about hitting up junkyards too, especially Nissan specific ones to.

S
Old 04-09-2003, 08:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maximase86

Yeah, and I would start thinking about hitting up junkyards too, especially Nissan specific ones to.

S
[/QU
Way ahead in that area, I went out and found 2 Max's at a pick & pull and got air regulators, AIV's and MAF's along with other numerous goodies. Final cost $35.00. Today the car seemed to run good with the AIV intake hose disconnected though.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:20 AM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HOOVERQ

S
[/QU
Way ahead in that area, I went out and found 2 Max's at a pick & pull and got air regulators, AIV's and MAF's along with other numerous goodies. Final cost $35.00. Today the car seemed to run good with the AIV intake hose disconnected though.
If I were you, I'd save the headache and leave the AIV disconnected all together. It's been proven that it won't mess up your emissions, and its an extra piece of gear that really does nothing for our cars. (If you notice, the Z31 VG30E doesn't have it, and the 3rd gen max VG30E doesn't have it). On that note how many air regulars did you get? Are they all in good condition? I might be interested in one.

S
Old 04-09-2003, 03:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

If I were you, I'd save the headache and leave the AIV disconnected all together. It's been proven that it won't mess up your emissions, and its an extra piece of gear that really does nothing for our cars. (If you notice, the Z31 VG30E doesn't have it, and the 3rd gen max VG30E doesn't have it). On that note how many air regulars did you get? Are they all in good condition? I might be interested in one.

S
I got 2 Air Regs, and if you want one I will ship you one at no charge,
as I just did the Air reg repair that is on this forum and it worked out great. I figured what did I have to lose as I already was taking my old one off anyhow,(that is the one I repaired). I did not have a tap but the metal is so soft that the screw tapped itself in with perfect results, I got lucky I guess. Anyhow the repair worked great and I now have a fast idle when cold again. WOOHOO!!!
Old 04-09-2003, 06:47 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

I got 2 Air Regs, and if you want one I will ship you one at no charge,
as I just did the Air reg repair that is on this forum and it worked out great. I figured what did I have to lose as I already was taking my old one off anyhow,(that is the one I repaired). I did not have a tap but the metal is so soft that the screw tapped itself in with perfect results, I got lucky I guess. Anyhow the repair worked great and I now have a fast idle when cold again. WOOHOO!!!
My question is, when you do that, does it effect the warm idle any? I don't want to tap a screw in if I end up having it cause the regulator to become stuck.

S
Old 04-10-2003, 07:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 87 Bogs At 2000-2500k

My question is, when you do that, does it effect the warm idle any? I don't want to tap a screw in if I end up having it cause the regulator to become stuck.

S
No, it worked just as the link said it would. Fast idle in the morning rocks!