1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Introducing myself

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 09:09 AM

Introducing myself

I just picked up my new 1988 Maxima SE Shiro Edition yesterday. Now I can be more than just a wannabe on Maxima.org, he he. It has 170000km on it, and runs like a dream. Interior is a little dirty and some broken switches; cruise, power antenna and trunk release all don't work. I don't care!!! I have a maxima!!! I forgot how cool the six in these cars sound. I used to know a guy in college that had an 86 and I loved that car.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:03 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Introducing myself

Originally posted by SmokinSpecV
I just picked up my new 1988 Maxima SE Shiro Edition yesterday. Now I can be more than just a wannabe on Maxima.org, he he. It has 170000km on it, and runs like a dream. Interior is a little dirty and some broken switches; cruise, power antenna and trunk release all don't work. I don't care!!! I have a maxima!!! I forgot how cool the six in these cars sound. I used to know a guy in college that had an 86 and I loved that car.
Sweet, you got both a Spec V and a Shiro Edition. Very nice. How is it running? Either way, welcome, glad to know there are more people who love the 2nd gen.

S
Old 04-13-2003, 09:51 PM

Re: Re: Introducing myself

Originally posted by maximase86

Sweet, you got both a Spec V and a Shiro Edition. Very nice. How is it running? Either way, welcome, glad to know there are more people who love the 2nd gen.

S
Runs strong. I figure that it's pretty much as fast as my SpecV upto 60mph. The transmission has some issues, pops out of first gear sometimes when I backpedal the throttle abruptly, the gates are a little sloppy and I think some of the synchos are worn (it grinds a little if I shift fast from or to high RPMs, ie: near redline). The chassis is good, it has a lot of undercoating on it. The guy I bought it from didn't like white cars so he painted it a kind of browny silver colour, he says it's some Nissan Maxima colour from the last couple of years. I think it might even be the colour of the Millenium Editions, but I'm not too sure. Still a good colour, it goes good with the interior which is a nice shade of brown. It's value as a Special Edition is probably F-ed though, as I understand it, the Shiro's were all white.

I can't afford to put two cars on the road as I pay $485CND a month for insurance on my SpecV and they want another $1200 a year for the Max as of next november when my rating goes from 1 star to 2. Can't imagine what they want right now. So for now I'll work on cleaning the interior and engine bay, and checking out the suspension for wear and lubrication. The electronic ride works but I'm not sure if the struts are as stiff as they should be. The one I rode in back in the early 90's was stiff as hell when it was on F(irm), but he had it lowered about 1.75" also, so I can't compare. I'm also used to the stiffness of my Spec V too, so my memory might be distorted.

Just really happy to have a 2nd gen SE, it's been one of my dream cars since I first rode in my buddy's, I'm originally from Northern Ontario and I haven't even seen one in Windsor Ontario at all(Canada's MotorCity, BIG THREE town). They didn't even have a Nissan dealer ship until about five years ago, but there's at least two of each of the big three dealers.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:02 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Re: Re: Introducing myself

Yeah, with the mileage you have on the car, synchros will tend to be a little mushy. What sucks now was back in the time, this car hauled as with the 160hp motor, now that spec v puts out 20 more. The max will give the spec v a run for its money though on the bottom end. Also as for the struts, they are probably starting to wear, what sucks is to replace the electronic adjust suspension, it will cost an arm and a leg. Either way keep her going, is nice to have a shiro edition.

S

Originally posted by SmokinSpecV

Runs strong. I figure that it's pretty much as fast as my SpecV upto 60mph. The transmission has some issues, pops out of first gear sometimes when I backpedal the throttle abruptly, the gates are a little sloppy and I think some of the synchos are worn (it grinds a little if I shift fast from or to high RPMs, ie: near redline). The chassis is good, it has a lot of undercoating on it. The guy I bought it from didn't like white cars so he painted it a kind of browny silver colour, he says it's some Nissan Maxima colour from the last couple of years. I think it might even be the colour of the Millenium Editions, but I'm not too sure. Still a good colour, it goes good with the interior which is a nice shade of brown. It's value as a Special Edition is probably F-ed though, as I understand it, the Shiro's were all white.

I can't afford to put two cars on the road as I pay $485CND a month for insurance on my SpecV and they want another $1200 a year for the Max as of next november when my rating goes from 1 star to 2. Can't imagine what they want right now. So for now I'll work on cleaning the interior and engine bay, and checking out the suspension for wear and lubrication. The electronic ride works but I'm not sure if the struts are as stiff as they should be. The one I rode in back in the early 90's was stiff as hell when it was on F(irm), but he had it lowered about 1.75" also, so I can't compare. I'm also used to the stiffness of my Spec V too, so my memory might be distorted.

Just really happy to have a 2nd gen SE, it's been one of my dream cars since I first rode in my buddy's, I'm originally from Northern Ontario and I haven't even seen one in Windsor Ontario at all(Canada's MotorCity, BIG THREE town). They didn't even have a Nissan dealer ship until about five years ago, but there's at least two of each of the big three dealers.