1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

I know it's been asked but,...How do i check my ecu on an 88?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 11:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know it's been asked but,...How do i check my ecu on an 88?

For some reason i can't acces the search button so i'm having to ask you like this. Also, where do i go to decipher the code. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Charles Bisel

The ECU is located underneath the passenger seat. You have to get a small flathead screwdriver to turn the dial to set the mode. There are 5 modes, each one monitors different systems on the car. There are also two light bulbs, a red one and a green one. That's the only display for the system (almost like an ancient computer from the '50s and '60s.) Anyway, depending on the number of flashes, you can determine which mode your in, what sensor are malfunctioning, if the engine is running rich or lean, etc...

I can't go into great detail on what each mode does or how to read the codes. Hell, my Chiltons book devotes 50 pages to that alone. You really need to get a Chiltons/Haynes/FSM manual to do that. There is a link in the Links section at the 2nd gen Club (link in my sig) that has some info on the subject, but it doesn't go into great detail, however it does give some procedures and the meanings of all of the codes in Mode III, which are usually the ones you want to check since that mode monitors all of the sensors.

But like I said, you really want to get one of the aformentioned books so you'll know what to do when you get an error code. Just because you get a code that says a certain sensor is malfunctioning, replacing it may not fix the problem that caused the sensor to go bad, which is really why the manual is handy. Also, a sensor may report an error condition, but that doesn't necessarily mean the sensor is bad, there could be something wrong with your engine, etc...

-C-