1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 10:58 PM

is this possible?

my friend just got a 2nd generation maxima and this is what he says: the guy that owned it before him swapped a '92 zx engine into it and while he was doing it converted it into a RWD car. is it possible? i didn't get a good look at the car cause i was in a hurry. anything i should look for next time i see it?
Old 05-13-2003, 11:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its not possible the vg30de N/A OR vg30dett wont fit its way too big. Making the engine fit would mean extensive body work to extend the front of the car in all areas to make it fit. Plus fitting our car to rear wheel drive if having the money can be done but its for now impossible. Of course we all know that with money you can do anything. But I dont see how he couldve done it because the Gas tank is like right smack dab in the way. He wouldve had to have relocated that and possibly the spare tire area in order for everything to work.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:51 AM

Re: is this possible?

Originally posted by CanadianMaxima
my friend just got a 2nd generation maxima and this is what he says: the guy that owned it before him swapped a '92 zx engine into it and while he was doing it converted it into a RWD car. is it possible? i didn't get a good look at the car cause i was in a hurry. anything i should look for next time i see it?
Theoretically, it is possible, because where there's a will (not a mention a large enough wallet), there's always a way! But one question remains...

WHY???

Why would anyone invest that kind of money into converting a FWD Maxima to RWD, plus all the extensive chassis restructuring involved to fit the VG30DE under the hood? Even reconfigured as RWD, the F/R weight ratio would be less than ideal, and to properly work the RWD into the chassis, would also involve a completely new suspension setup, and massiv amounts of fabrication...

For someone to do this, you're looking at an investment approaching $40k or more...and for that, there are much more capable cars that can be had. In fact, for that, you could build some extremely righteous muscle from an older, 80 or 90's platform domestic...hell, you could even build a hell of a Z32 TT.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:37 AM
I love lamp.

Yeah as everyone said.....if you have the money...sure. Now I can understand if he took a motor out of a 84-88 z31 and put it in the car. It has been done, turbo and N/A. From the z32 I really doubt because of fitment, and then RWD is even more outrageous. It could be done don't get me wrong, but if the guy wanted a 80's performance sport sedan, it would be easier to get a 1st gen that is already RWD, and drop a RB26DE, or RB26DETT into it. Hell, with a few modifications to the fender wells, you can probably go VG30DETT, VE, or VQ power of that matter.

S
Old 05-15-2003, 06:36 AM

their would be alot of things that u would have to do. I think the most thing u would have to find is the tranny and the rearend axle and everything. b/c the rearend of z32 is a little bit wider than the maxima and if u took the rearend of the 240sx it would be too small then getting the driveshaft and all that is just a little bit that u would have to do.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:20 AM
I love lamp.

You should tell him to get pics and posted it for us. I want to see this. Plus if its photoshopped, you can usually tell. We had a guy on the yahoo groups who said he turned is 2nd gen into RWD and his car was right hand drive. Well, he posted the pics....first the interior shot was inversed, and you can tell because the instrument gauges where facing the wrong way. Then looking at the motor, the clutch line was in the wrong spot, and worst of all, the engine bay was a pic from a datsun 510 that had a VG30ET in it. So we have to find out. I'm pretty sure the guy is bull****ting. :P

S
Old 05-16-2003, 06:54 PM

sarin, I would never would of thought of that unless someone would think of but u did. not a bad idea.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:38 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Michael '87 Max
sarin, I would never would of thought of that unless someone would think of but u did. not a bad idea.
Well I figure, its a good way to find out the bull****ters from the people who do thier modding legitimately. To top it off, I really know these cars really well, so I can usually spot stuff that is out of place. I myself believe in legitimate modding. I tell you exactly what I have, and not make **** up.

S
Old 05-17-2003, 08:12 AM

2nd Gen rear drive???

There are vehicles out there were available in FWD and AWD configurations, Mitsu 3000, Mopar mini-vans, Pontiac 6000 to name a few. These FWD only models would still be extremely labor intensive to convert to RWD. The cradle that supports the trans axle would have to go and a set of crossmembers linked to the front sub frame would have to be fabbed. Then there's the transmission tunnel problem and that's just the fabrication end of it and I'm sure I haven't covered all that. The suspension and rear axle has all ready been covered. Without corroborating evidence, the guy is full of it.
Old 05-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Im calling

Old 05-17-2003, 10:54 AM
I love lamp.

That guy is