1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Lil Nismo.... RIP?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 02:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lil Nismo.... RIP?

Three days until I fly out......timing belt broke putting car up for shipment! The auto shop is being very shady about my car too; they are telling me that a valve is bent in the #2 cylinder, and they rather junk the car than fix it. Managed to get the system out with the exception of the XM and CD changer. My dad is going to handel the later. I am thinking if it is just one valve, could the car still run? I'll check back with a answer in a couple hrs with your advices. Oh, by the way...... I am in Germany and I am told that they have a flat rate DSL setup in place everywhere here! Talk about convience.......
Old 05-20-2003, 02:38 PM
I love lamp.

Re: Lil Nismo.... RIP?

****! That ****ing sucks dude! Well, if you get the timing belt fixed, it will run, but it will be really bad considering you have a bent valve. Did they pull the heads off it already? It's going to be a bit of cash to fix though. :\. If it turns out to be no good, will you be willing to part some of your car? (I might be interested in the old rims and ****.) :P

S

Originally posted by GundamWZero
Three days until I fly out......timing belt broke putting car up for shipment! The auto shop is being very shady about my car too; they are telling me that a valve is bent in the #2 cylinder, and they rather junk the car than fix it. Managed to get the system out with the exception of the XM and CD changer. My dad is going to handel the later. I am thinking if it is just one valve, could the car still run? I'll check back with a answer in a couple hrs with your advices. Oh, by the way...... I am in Germany and I am told that they have a flat rate DSL setup in place everywhere here! Talk about convience.......
Old 05-20-2003, 03:12 PM

I am still reeling back from this loss. Especially when I put those rims on it a year ago. It'll be a while before I can get my system from my car. And now I have to buy another car? more money out of my pocket! Well, I don't know.......
Old 05-20-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

If it was gonna happen..better HERE in the usa vs Germany!
Old 05-20-2003, 03:42 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
If it was gonna happen..better HERE in the usa vs Germany!
No doubt, finding parts for that car in germany is going to be next to nothing. Either way, let me know what your planning on doing.

S
Old 05-20-2003, 11:04 PM
I love lamp.

I am still reeling back from this loss. Especially when I put those rims on it a year ago. It'll be a while before I can get my system from my car. And now I have to buy another car? more money out of my pocket! Well, I don't know.......
Yeah, that sucks....have you check around at the car prices in germany? Besides that, how is it over there? Settling in alright? Let me know how all is going. If you need anything let me know. :P

S
Old 05-23-2003, 09:01 PM

gundam
Sorry to hear about your timing belt. Hopefully it all works out. Get a second opinion. A few years back on my first max, I did the same thing and all she did then was get the timing out of whack. they did a compression test and none of the valves were bad. Hope you have the same luck.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:57 AM

Well it is official.......

Bent valve on #2 piston! My dad has towed the car back to his house and should began to remove the XM reciever and the CD Changer from the car. As for my rims? Well...........

Got my eyes locked on a 1992 BMW 538i.....looks to be already lowered. Could be a M series, there are no badges confiming it though. I have to look at it again when I get my international drivers licence. Guess how much?

4590.00 .......in Euros. That is about around 5,000 US Dollars! Oh yeah, you know I am going to buy it .... but when I get back, I will look for another 86 Max and restore it to what I had.....

oh, I forgot.......time zone differences! It is too early there!
Old 06-01-2003, 07:21 AM

Wow dude sorry to hear that man. Hope everything turns out alright in Germany. Get that M Ive sen one around here red in color guy kept it in Good shape its lowered and a very Sweet ride.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:04 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by max88q
Wow dude sorry to hear that man. Hope everything turns out alright in Germany. Get that M Ive sen one around here red in color guy kept it in Good shape its lowered and a very Sweet ride.
Sorry to hear about the car bro. You interested in selling those rims?

S
Old 06-04-2003, 02:46 AM

How? The car is supposed to be donated...... Also, it is in Baltimore, Md now. And if they were able to come off with no problems, they were universal offset rims, which means that they can fit any front-wheel drive car with a four, maybe five lug pattern, which means I would have tried to still use them!
Old 06-04-2003, 11:20 AM
I love lamp.

Yeah, if they are 4 lug, they will only work with 4 lug patterns only. I've never seen a combination 4/5 lug wheel. :P Sucks though your going to have to donate the car. A little bit a change was wrapped in that one wasn't it?

S
Old 06-04-2003, 03:59 PM

Donated? to?
Old 06-09-2003, 06:44 AM

Yeah. It was some change.......

about 500+ dollars in the speakers alone, another 500 in the amps and capacitor, 270 dollars in the head unit (mp3/CD/CD-RW), 180 dollars in the in-dash EQ, 120 dollars in the 6-disc CD changer, and 300(and paying the subscription) on the XM unit. Then add another 900 dollars on the rims and another 400 dollars on the brand new tires I bought just before I left Seattle......

I don't know where it is going to, max 88q, my father is handeling that as I speak...should have told him to pull the door and deck speakers too.

HOWEVER.......

bought the BMW 518i (or was it a 520?) last Friday. couldn't drive it until I obtained my European Drivers License. And I got that today!
Now peep this gentelmen.......already lowered with BMW Hockenhiem rims and Michellin Pilot (not the cheap ones) Z-Rated,(Europe's speed ratings, mind you)Low-Profile tires! At the same price I was going to pay for the other 518i without the setup. Also this one is V6 instead of a 4 cylinder...... That should get your ******* in a bunch......
Only problem is getting is to US Specs, which would cost me a lot, again. But I may have the time frame long enough to complete the task, which is 3 years. Only hang up is now I can't pick up the car until tommorrow, today is a German Hoilday!!!!!

I will send pics.

tchuss.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:05 AM
I love lamp.

A BMW with a V-6? That doesn't sound right....you sure it isn't an straight 6. A BMW with a V-6 is pretty much none-existent. Either way, sweet buy. Now your cruising around in a Bimmer (which I assume is probably black. :P) Now you gotta put your system in that one!

S
Old 06-14-2003, 07:01 AM

Yeah it is a HUGE straight 6.....stupid German didn't know how to put on directionals..... the right rear and the left front needs to be switched.
bought a kenwood deck cause they didn't have Pioneer (you know how I feel about that.....) and the cost me 399.00 dollars! The thing better part oceans........
Old 06-14-2003, 08:49 AM
I love lamp.

Yeah it is a HUGE straight 6.....stupid German didn't know how to put on directionals..... the right rear and the left front needs to be switched.
bought a kenwood deck cause they didn't have Pioneer (you know how I feel about that.....) and the cost me 399.00 dollars! The thing better part oceans........
Old 06-14-2003, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by maximase86

D what he said lol

But for real nice find. I remember my dad had a I believe a 3 series not sure. It was the small two door ones kinda old. But the guy he got it from kept it up real good. It was also lowered, had perfomance tires on it with very nice bmw rims, ground effects all around and the black rubber spoiler on the back. It was Hunter green and had black interior, 5 speed and also sported a german performance exhaust. That bad boy use to haul. He installed blaupunkt stereo and speakers in it it was sweet. Unfortunately we have no pics of this ride. Or none that I know of for now. Ill ask my dad next time he calls. I remember my dad had a switch on the dash that he had to flip to turn the reverse lights on and off when he went into reverse. I was like in 3rd, 4th, and beginning of fifth in Frankfurt. Ill have to see if I can find a pic of the actual car maybe someone has something that it may look like around on the internet. He was thinking of converting it but he said it wouldve cost too much to do. So he sold it to his boss there.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:34 PM
I love lamp.

Hmm, to the sound of it, he may of had a 320i. Little 2 liter 4 cylinder motors, very nice cars. My dad had 2 of those. First a olive green 79, which he bought when it was a year old. He had really expensive gold rims on it (about 2k if I remember right for the set), and a bra with a 5-speed. Very nice. He sold that one back in 83 or so. Then around 94-95 he got another one, a bronze 78, though this one was an auto. We had that for a few years until my dad got in an accident with that one. Either way, they are very nice cars, with a bit of pep in them.

S

D what he said lol

But for real nice find. I remember my dad had a I believe a 3 series not sure. It was the small two door ones kinda old. But the guy he got it from kept it up real good. It was also lowered, had perfomance tires on it with very nice bmw rims, ground effects all around and the black rubber spoiler on the back. It was Hunter green and had black interior, 5 speed and also sported a german performance exhaust. That bad boy use to haul. He installed blaupunkt stereo and speakers in it it was sweet. Unfortunately we have no pics of this ride. Or none that I know of for now. Ill ask my dad next time he calls. I remember my dad had a switch on the dash that he had to flip to turn the reverse lights on and off when he went into reverse. I was like in 3rd, 4th, and beginning of fifth in Frankfurt. Ill have to see if I can find a pic of the actual car maybe someone has something that it may look like around on the internet. He was thinking of converting it but he said it wouldve cost too much to do. So he sold it to his boss there.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:54 PM

Yeah it was an E21 after researching abit. I think it may have been an early 80s one double round headlights. I remember it said Alpina on it. What did that mean? Was it some type of performance package? The front bumper spoiler looked like this one. I dont know if this was the whole kit though. It was a nice little car too. This pic shows a car with the Square headlights I didnt like that look. Yeah my dad had an olive, hunter green color.

http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/gallery/i...=2014,1;-11,8;

And it was this exact color with those exact rims, just picture it lowered with the other ground effects kit.

http://www.bmwe21.net/
Old 06-14-2003, 06:48 PM
I love lamp.

Yep, it was a 320i. The one in the second link was like the one my dad had. I believe that that model made the run from 78-83 in the states. Our second one had the stock rims like the one in the second link too. The Alpina is the aftermarket tuner for BMW. Much like AMG and Brabus is to Mercedes. BMW did come out with a few Alpina models. Either way they were great little cars....though it sucks that the only way your can get a 6 cylinder model (323i, 325i) was to import one. All the US models were 320i's with the 4 banger. Still pretty potent cars though if you did the right things to them. Not bad for an entry level car that didn't sport much options other than A/C and a sunroof.

S
Old 06-14-2003, 08:11 PM

Yup it was fully loaded sunroof and a/c. lol! Man I miss that car. I dont know what was under the hood but man did it get up!
Old 06-14-2003, 09:05 PM
I love lamp.

Yup it was fully loaded sunroof and a/c. lol! Man I miss that car. I dont know what was under the hood but man did it get up!
If I remember right, I think those motors where also DOHC....but I have to check the haynes manual we have for it.

S
Old 06-15-2003, 10:56 PM

Dang you still got the haynes to that piece? My dad called today and I forgot to ask him about pics. Ill ask tomorrow and see.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:44 AM
I love lamp.

lol! Yeah we still do. I also have the haynes manual for my ranger, and my mercedes too!