1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Possible Opportunity...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 09:46 AM

Possible Opportunity...

I have found a local bone yard with an 87-88 SE, that suffered an engine fire. The car has a 5-speed in it, and most of the interior is intact. They've had it for a while, and so I've been talking to the owner about a possible barter - I'll do computer and network admin for him, in exchange for any parts on the car that I want, plus access to theuir garage to do the installs of major components...

If this works out, I may be doing the 5-speed swap soon...

If I do, I'm planning on modifying the shift lever, for better perfromnce (ie, shortening the handle, lengthening the shift arm on the bottom half, etc...)

How does this deal sound to you folks? Should I pursue it?
Old 05-23-2003, 10:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oh man that sounds like a tight thing. I would look the car over to make sure you can get the most out of it. But if I had a job like that Id trade work to get parts. I need to go back to school But yeah great deal!!
Old 05-23-2003, 12:04 PM
I love lamp.

Pursue it dude. That would kick ***. Though one thing I might suggest. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm thinking of using the short throw shifter that 3rd gens and 4th gens have. I was doing a comparison, and they look the same as ours. Its only the shifter too. I'm might be trying it out soon.

S
Old 05-23-2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by maximase86
Pursue it dude. That would kick ***. Though one thing I might suggest. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm thinking of using the short throw shifter that 3rd gens and 4th gens have. I was doing a comparison, and they look the same as ours. Its only the shifter too. I'm might be trying it out soon.

S
Welp, I'm going to persue it, and see if I can work it out...even if it's only partial barter...maybe he'll take my slush as partial trade, as well...since it's still in good shape, with no leaks...

As for the shifter, I was wondering about that one...from the diagrams I've seen (never seen either out of the car) they look practically identicle. If not, and they won;t work, I'll try and "make my own" i guess.

As for the under hood, on the donor car, since there was an engine fire, I'd buy a new master cyl w/ res., and rebuild the slave cyl., and of course install a new clutch, after having the flywheel resurfaced. The sad part is i won't have the cash for a lightened flywheel and perf clutch...

Another thing I may look at, if they have one, is see if i can try and swap in the hubs / rotors, and struts, etc...from a 3rd gen...if they'll fit...imagine, if so, we'll be able to get Tokico struts, Eibach springs, big brake kits, and 5-lug wheels...if it'll swap over...hoping the 3rd gen struts will bolt in, using the 2nd gen strut mounts...the spindles show to be almost, if not, identicle...the lower control arms are ident, as are the ball joints...the rear suspension is almost identicle, as well, sharing a lot of parts it would appear...

we'll see if any of this pans out...i've had some close calls before, but maybe this one will finally pan out...
Old 05-23-2003, 02:49 PM
I love lamp.

Sweet, let me know how the shifter and the hubs go. If the 3rd gen's work, that's gonna kick ***!

S
Old 05-27-2003, 10:04 AM

Well, this could be fun, as my wife is fighting me on the issue...if she didn't have her van now, she'd jump on it, to have a 5-speed again...

I'm trying the argument that the 5-speeds require less maintenance, and are less trouble-prone...
Old 05-27-2003, 01:28 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by MaxWgn
Well, this could be fun, as my wife is fighting me on the issue...if she didn't have her van now, she'd jump on it, to have a 5-speed again...

I'm trying the argument that the 5-speeds require less maintenance, and are less trouble-prone...
lol...small issue going there! :P