1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

How to get coffee out of a rocker switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 04:51 PM

How to get coffee out of a rocker switch?

Ok, so I took off the lower part of the front, center console to install a different sound system (still not in, but that's another problem altogether). When I did that, I had to relocate the cruise control on/off switch. Being that the voice warning switch on/off (located next to the parking brake) no longer works I thought that would be an ideal spot. Now it's there and much more convienent, except that I put my coffee cup right next to it and it has spilled and now I have a problem with the switch sticking. How would I clean that goo out of there without harming the internals?
Old 06-07-2003, 06:31 PM

Re: How to get coffee out of a rocker switch?

Originally posted by John L
Ok, so I took off the lower part of the front, center console to install a different sound system (still not in, but that's another problem altogether). When I did that, I had to relocate the cruise control on/off switch. Being that the voice warning switch on/off (located next to the parking brake) no longer works I thought that would be an ideal spot. Now it's there and much more convienent, except that I put my coffee cup right next to it and it has spilled and now I have a problem with the switch sticking. How would I clean that goo out of there without harming the internals?
This may sound really weird, but think about it...i've used it for other equip before, with good results...

remove the switch, and protect the contacts on the back...maybe coat them with vaseline, or a good dielectric grease, and then soak the unit in a cup of clean, cool, DISTILLED water (use distilled to prevent minerals from drying on the internal contacts, and shorting out the switch!)...after soaking for a couple of hours, rinse throughly with clean, distilled water, and the use q-tip type swabs to get into the tight spots...then, allow to air dry for 24-hours before reinstalling the switch...

People have looked at me weird for this method in the past, but it works...
Old 06-08-2003, 08:55 AM

Re: Re: How to get coffee out of a rocker switch?

Originally posted by MaxWgn

This may sound really weird, but think about it...i've used it for other equip before, with good results...

remove the switch, and protect the contacts on the back...maybe coat them with vaseline, or a good dielectric grease, and then soak the unit in a cup of clean, cool, DISTILLED water (use distilled to prevent minerals from drying on the internal contacts, and shorting out the switch!)...after soaking for a couple of hours, rinse throughly with clean, distilled water, and the use q-tip type swabs to get into the tight spots...then, allow to air dry for 24-hours before reinstalling the switch...

People have looked at me weird for this method in the past, but it works...
Thanks! I'll do it. I'm used to people looking at me wierd, anyway.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: How to get coffee out of a rocker switch?

Originally posted by John L

Thanks! I'll do it. I'm used to people looking at me wierd, anyway.
Same here...but maybe that's because I'm funny looking!