1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Computers and Auto Trannies

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 02:41 PM

Computers and Auto Trannies

Hello All,

Does anyone know if the computer controls the tranny
in the Maximas equipped with an automatic tranny?

I know that the shifting is controlled by a cable, but
what happens when the OD/No OD switch is activated?

Does the switch just basically control a servo that
engages/disengages the OD?

I would like to figure out a way to make the auto tranny
stay in each gear a little longer to maximize the engine's
potential a little better.

I know I could just use the gear shift lever, but...

I also wonder if there's a shift kit availible for these
trannies.

Thanks!
Scott
Old 06-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nope just fluid pressure and valves and springs control the shiftings and shift points. Only way to maximize it is to get a shift kit. I dont know where to get one from though. Or get Dons vb mod which is basically a transmission shift kit. It is switching certain springs in the vb to higher tension ones which then make the car shift firmer and Quicker. More performance based. I actually have a vb from an 87 sittin in my storage room in a bag wrapped up.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by max88q
Nope just fluid pressure and valves and springs control the shiftings and shift points. Only way to maximize it is to get a shift kit. I dont know where to get one from though. Or get Dons vb mod which is basically a transmission shift kit. It is switching certain springs in the vb to higher tension ones which then make the car shift firmer and Quicker. More performance based. I actually have a vb from an 87 sittin in my storage room in a bag wrapped up.
Where do I get Don's VB mod from?

Thanks!
Scott
Old 06-10-2003, 04:00 PM

Re: Computers and Auto Trannies

Originally posted by 86Wagon
Hello All,

Does anyone know if the computer controls the tranny
in the Maximas equipped with an automatic tranny?

I know that the shifting is controlled by a cable, but
what happens when the OD/No OD switch is activated?

Does the switch just basically control a servo that
engages/disengages the OD?

I would like to figure out a way to make the auto tranny
stay in each gear a little longer to maximize the engine's
potential a little better.

I know I could just use the gear shift lever, but...

I also wonder if there's a shift kit availible for these
trannies.

Thanks!
Scott
Ok, there is no computer controlling the tranny in the 1st & 2nd gens. The O/D button simply turns on the electric lock-up convertor our tranny's use.

There is a shift kit available from TransGo, but I'm not sure how much it costs, or if you can even order it seperately...
Old 06-10-2003, 04:01 PM

Its a guy in Texas that owned a Maxima. Some people still get it. You have downtime with your car. You send it to him and he replaces the springs with higher tension ones. It costs an est. close to 400 dollars to do. I see some 3rd genners are still getting it. Ive ridden in an SC'd Maxima that had it and it makes a big diff. But I would say the more affordable would be the Trans Go shift Kit. It improves shifting and makes the shifts firmer for that performance feel and its less expensive than Dons vb mod
Old 06-10-2003, 04:58 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by max88q
Its a guy in Texas that owned a Maxima. Some people still get it. You have downtime with your car. You send it to him and he replaces the springs with higher tension ones. It costs an est. close to 400 dollars to do. I see some 3rd genners are still getting it. Ive ridden in an SC'd Maxima that had it and it makes a big diff. But I would say the more affordable would be the Trans Go shift Kit. It improves shifting and makes the shifts firmer for that performance feel and its less expensive than Dons vb mod
The other option is a level 10 transmission mod which will do that. My friend says there another one that is more reliable than level 10 to. Goes by the name of mobiletek. You might want to do a search on them.

S
Old 06-10-2003, 05:49 PM

Re: Re: Computers and Auto Trannies

Originally posted by MaxWgn

Ok, there is no computer controlling the tranny in the 1st & 2nd gens. The O/D button simply turns on the electric lock-up convertor our tranny's use.

There is a shift kit available from TransGo, but I'm not sure how much it costs, or if you can even order it seperately...
Is there a way to control how long the tranny will stay
in each gear?

How about shift points? Isn't that adjusted by the cable
controling line preasure?

I'm used to the Chevy TH350... just tweak the modulator
and you're done! I wish the Nissan had a modulator.

Scott
Old 06-10-2003, 06:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Computers and Auto Trannies

Originally posted by 86Wagon

Is there a way to control how long the tranny will stay
in each gear?

How about shift points? Isn't that adjusted by the cable
controling line preasure?

I'm used to the Chevy TH350... just tweak the modulator
and you're done! I wish the Nissan had a modulator.

Scott
Short of modifying the VB, there's no way to really have any other control over the shift points, or how long the car will stay in gear. There is no modulator on the Nissan trans. No easy upgrades, that's for sure. As I've only seen the transgo web site, and they do not list what comes in their "kit", I have no idea what is included. It's possible that it's nothing more than a less aggressive version of Don's VB Mod. The TransGo kit was designed more for transmission durability...this does improve performance somewhat, but from what I've heard through the grapevine, Don's mod uses high tension springs, and may even change some of the channel in the VB...not sure what all is done there, either...

But in a nut shell, for our autos, it all comes down to the VB, and the condition of the clutches in the trans...of course, if I'd had the VB mod done, and had new clutches installed(which I'd sure do, to ensure a nice long life!), I'd make sure I also had a 1500 to 2000 rpm stall speed converter installed for better launching, and use only redline fluid, and a trans cooler...and with the pressure, I'd try and use hard line as much as possible for the cooling lines...sure wouldnt want a hose to break after all that work had been done...
Old 06-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Charles Bisel

From my experience, the shift points on this car are perfect, it shifts exactly at 5500 rpm every time, the point where the power starts to drop. Every winter though, the transmission starts to act up on my car and it sticks in first gear. If I push it, the engine will go well into the redline. Once it gets past the 5500 point, the power drops dramatically. Once you get to about 6000 rpm you pretty much start destroying your engine and the car goes slower than if it shifted into second.

In short, even if you could adjust it, it's not necessary and could potentially damage your tranny. I'd only recommend getting the shift points changed if you get new cams and upgrade your ECU so it will redline higher without problems.

Also, don't bother manually shifting the automatic, it does nothing for performance and if anything will make your car slower because of your reaction time and the time it takes for the car to realize that you pushed the lever into second. The automatic transmission shifts at the optimal points. You can make the shifts quicker by getting a shift kit as others mentioned. I believe Summit Racing had them if I'm not mistaken.

-C-

Old 06-10-2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by maximase86

The other option is a level 10 transmission mod which will do that. My friend says there another one that is more reliable than level 10 to. Goes by the name of mobiletek. You might want to do a search on them.

S
Thats Don He changed the name after it became pretty famous
Old 06-10-2003, 09:17 PM

Dons vb mod puts higher tension springs in the vb itself and creates higher line pressure before shifting. So when it shifts it shifts. Some have even said it shifts as fast if not faster than having a stick. Like Maxwgn said. The Trans go kit is the lesser in performance but I wouldnt recommend dons vb mod to be done on our cars unless it was turbod. Really! So try to go with the Trans go Shift kit. It creates firmer shifts and the less friction created between shifts helps lower the temps of the transmission and helps it last longer.