1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

wiring harness available at best buy/circuit city?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 12:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wiring harness available at best buy/circuit city?

Hi, I have an 85 wagon, I know the wider plastic piece to replace the stock stereo isnt available at best buy, cause ive checked. But is just the wiring harness available there? Then I'll get the plasticy thing from crutchfield later on, I just want to get my deck in though, I can't take the radio anymore
Old 06-12-2003, 01:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well there is a special connector with the wires to connect to the stereo you can get it. Should be at best buy, circuit city, Maybe walmart.
Old 06-12-2003, 01:47 PM

Re: wiring harness available at best buy/circuit city?

Originally posted by daver
Hi, I have an 85 wagon, I know the wider plastic piece to replace the stock stereo isnt available at best buy, cause ive checked. But is just the wiring harness available there? Then I'll get the plasticy thing from crutchfield later on, I just want to get my deck in though, I can't take the radio anymore
They should carry it, I know Autozone carries it, and I can even buy them at my local WalMart...they'll carry the Scoshe variety...
Old 06-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Charles Bisel

I looked at both places and wasn't able to find the wiring harness or antenna adapter. They didn't have them at my local Walmart either. The only kinds I were able to find were for Fords and GM's mostly. That isn't to say that those places don't carry them, but if you plan on getting the installation kit from Crutchfield, you may as well go ahead and get the wiring harness and the antenna adapter from there too.

-C-

Old 06-13-2003, 12:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was able to find the wiring harness, but when I got it the guy asked if I had the stock stereo with the eq, I said yeah, then he said I would have to rewire everything because there was a built in amp. (?)
Old 06-13-2003, 08:54 AM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by daver
I was able to find the wiring harness, but when I got it the guy asked if I had the stock stereo with the eq, I said yeah, then he said I would have to rewire everything because there was a built in amp. (?)
He's talking about the equilizer/amp. You will need to find the speaker wires, power lines, and the antenna remote wires and splice into them to do the install....or at least in the 85-most 87's. I dunno what the case is for the double din units that some 87's and all 88's have. Charles could probably answer that. Power wires are pretty easy to identify, its the speaker wires that take a little time.

S
Old 06-13-2003, 10:39 AM
Charles Bisel

On my '88, everything was plug and play. There were three connectors, but I only needed to use two. I'm guessing the remaining, unused connector was the amplifier stuff. The one connector is really large, and it has all of the power wiring, front speaker wires, and the dimmer and antenna power wire. The other connector is really small and it only has the back speaker wires. The unused, amplifer connector is also small, but it's connector is slightly different than that of the rear speaker connector, so you won't accidently plug the rear speaker connector into it.

I don't know how you would splice into the wires, especially with the speaker wires. In the '88 they're all black, I don't think you can distinguish between them. Like I said, Crutchfield has custom wiring harness adapters, so I'm sure they'll have whatever you need without splicing. The whole point of getting a wiring harness adapter is so you don't have to splice.

-C-

Old 06-13-2003, 12:47 PM
I love lamp.

Yeah, I had the other stereo configuration on my 86. I had to cut the old wires and attach them to the new harness. What I did was connect the power wires first, than I powered up the stereo, and test each wire until I got sound, and found what speaker it belonged too, then I took that pair and marked them, and moved to the next set until I identified all the speakers, than I used butt connectors to connect the wires from the harness to the car wires. Then I was able to plug the stereo harness to the car harness I hooked up. It was pretty wierd going that way, but it worked.

S
Old 06-14-2003, 06:34 AM

Can someone tell me how do I get behind the radio? So far I took out the center console. I don’t know how to reach the radio. My radio works when it wants to. So I want to take it apart to see if there is a lose connection. Is there a way I can eliminate the EQ? and hook up an amp instead.
Old 06-14-2003, 07:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by maxima168
Can someone tell me how do I get behind the radio? So far I took out the center console. I don’t know how to reach the radio. My radio works when it wants to. So I want to take it apart to see if there is a lose connection. Is there a way I can eliminate the EQ? and hook up an amp instead.

my radio works the same way.. im still figuring out how to get behind mine too, it doesnt seem nearly as hard as my 4runner was though.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:17 AM
I love lamp.

Well, to get the stereo out you need to take out the front part of the dash that has the cigerette lighter, ashtray and all the accessory switches built into it. There is 2 screws on the left side of the steering wheels, 1 screw on the right, 2 screws above the stereo face, and 2 screws at the bottom. One you get that off (you will have to removed the switches and disconnect the harness) you will have access to all the screws for the stereo. Just pop those and it should come right out.

S
Old 06-14-2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by maximase86
Well, to get the stereo out you need to take out the front part of the dash that has the cigerette lighter, ashtray and all the accessory switches built into it. There is 2 screws on the left side of the steering wheels, 1 screw on the right, 2 screws above the stereo face, and 2 screws at the bottom. One you get that off (you will have to removed the switches and disconnect the harness) you will have access to all the screws for the stereo. Just pop those and it should come right out.

S
thanks ill try that out.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah you gotta take the whole front dash piece off and then it will give you the stereo mount and screws. Unscrew them and pull the stereo out. I also have my stock equalizer. I dont know what they did because before I got the car the Pioneer Tape deck I once had was already installed and my dads boss and him went to get everything done so I take it it was done professionally for my car. Never had to deal with the equalizer amp wires. I still have my stock Equalizer but its not in use. It sits below my p6400 now. Im hoping to either (if I dont sell the p525 premier Tape deck) I will reinstall it in the slot the equalizer is in and have the cd player, tape deck, and cd changer in the car. If I do sell it Im going to try to see if a 3rd gen Cup holder unit will fit in there so I can have some cup holders in my car finally!!
Old 06-14-2003, 05:24 PM
I love lamp.

Originally posted by max88q
Yeah you gotta take the whole front dash piece off and then it will give you the stereo mount and screws. Unscrew them and pull the stereo out. I also have my stock equalizer. I dont know what they did because before I got the car the Pioneer Tape deck I once had was already installed and my dads boss and him went to get everything done so I take it it was done professionally for my car. Never had to deal with the equalizer amp wires. I still have my stock Equalizer but its not in use. It sits below my p6400 now. Im hoping to either (if I dont sell the p525 premier Tape deck) I will reinstall it in the slot the equalizer is in and have the cd player, tape deck, and cd changer in the car. If I do sell it Im going to try to see if a 3rd gen Cup holder unit will fit in there so I can have some cup holders in my car finally!!
Speaking of cup holders, I got the ones avalon42 sent me. Maybe I should go out an install it. :P

S