1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Pulling out the transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Pulling out the transmission...

How many tranmission mounts are holding up the transmission? I can see two to start with, and then 6 connecting the transmission to the engine.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:30 AM

Re: Pulling out the transmission...

Originally posted by Leaky Maxipad
How many tranmission mounts are holding up the transmission? I can see two to start with, and then 6 connecting the transmission to the engine.
With all those problems that you listed in your sig,
don't'cha think it's time for a new (different) car?

Scott
Old 07-24-2003, 11:21 AM
I love lamp.

There are 2 mounts, one in front, the other in the rear. The rest of the tranny is supported by the engine itself. I'd check to make sure you've gotten all the bolts out from the bellhousing. Also you've probably did this, but you'll need to remove the speedo cable from the tranny, that could also hold it in a little.....but the tranny would move around. Also, you may need to remove the clutch slave cylinder out.

S
Old 07-24-2003, 02:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Pulling out the transmission...

Originally posted by 86Wagon

With all those problems that you listed in your sig,
don't'cha think it's time for a new (different) car?

Scott
It sure is, but I need something to drive to and from work and school while I save up for a new car. Hopefully the Maxima can last a few months. Its taken a beating its whole life, now I just need it to last a few more months and then it can go rest in the nice little car heaven up above.

Anyway, I disconnected it from the engine and one of the transmission mounts but it still fees like its on there too tight. Before I go disconnecting the back transmission mount and then finding there is one last bolt somewhere else which I would have to go under the now unmounted transmission...

Get the picture? Just trying to save my head from a hundred pound piece of metal. I do have it supported by a hydrolic lift already, but it doesn't actually "grab" the transmission. Its just holding it into place a little.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:01 PM

Don't forget, you've got to pull the axles too.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I pulled the drivers side axel out, but left the passenger side because I was told that I could get the transmission out and back in with only one out if I was careful. Now I see that my one last bolt from the transmission to the engine is right back there, right under the oil filter! Aaargh, its impossible to reach!
Old 07-24-2003, 09:16 PM
twist

better if u take both axles out, you wouldnt want to mess one up just because of someone telling u that u could leave one in. Try to reach the last bolt from the top. Maybe if u stick ur ratchet threw the back of the engine u could get it. Like by where the fuel filter is. Get it?