1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Rebuilt Engine/overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 10:50 AM

Rebuilt Engine/overhaul

Any of ya'll know a price on getting a 88 Maxima (automatic) engine rebuild/overhaul? I'm thinking of doing so. First I need to know an estimate price on how it take to do this. Then if its proper I'll add in upgraded parts while I'm at it. But first, I need a price for a complete regular engine rebuild on our engine.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:22 AM
I love lamp.

Its probably gonna be between $1200-2000 for a decent rebuild. You could probably get a remanufactured engine for cheaper if you the the removal and install yourself.

S
Old 09-29-2003, 11:53 AM

good quote, Sarin...the price will depend largely upon how much is reusable in the engine...a basic overhaul is simply new bearings, new rings, and all new gaskets and seals, new freeze plugs, timing belt, etc...and includes only minor machine work, and a standard valve job on the heads...new valve springs, if needed, etc...

If anything needs replacing, etc, it'll cost extra. If you're willing the spend the money, it could be worth while to have the rods, etc...balance, give the heads a mild port and polish, if possible, stronger valve springs, and have all the exhaust and intake ports port matched to the gaskets. If you have a 5-speed (i can't remeber), then you can also have the flywheel lightened at any competent machine shop...it won;t be as light as a custom built light wheel, but it'll do, and is much cheaper...

If you go with cams, price'll depend upon where you source them from, but will average about $400 for the pair, including lifters (highly recommended, even with new cams)...

The good rebuild as listed above could run you about $2600 if YOU do the R/R on the engine...but you should notice a difference in performance...
Old 09-29-2003, 02:15 PM

some nice info ya came up with. pretty much what i expected.

BUT

my engine doesn't really need a rebuild.
it still kick azz. however, i do need to replace the throttle body sensor...maybe the air regulator...maybe the EGR valve...and O2 sensor.

See, when my engine gets hot or warmed up for a while my acceleration performance drops but picks up after first gear. so I need to know exactly what it is causin that. a mechanic checked it out and told me that my engine for sure needs a throttle body sensor and O2 sensor. But other than that I don't what else.

My engine does have new timing belt (about year&half ago), sparkplugs, rotor and cap, hoses, alternator, battery, thermostat, waterpump, filters.
I'm not sure if it needs a new ignition distributor.

see for a while I've been side-trackin for a bit on getting another car, but I thought it out and decided to hold on to what I got and enhance it. I already got some PLENTY of cash already saved up...it was for another car just in case I got one, but not anymore. I'm gonna invest in my DJ thing and my ride. Plus still have my job! Soon my car is also gonna be different. It will be dropped with some S.T. lower springs (anymore info on that Sarin). it will be a different color. and possibly a better front bumper.

but thanks a lot for ya input. i'm back in full effect!

PEACE.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by jayfresh
some nice info ya came up with. pretty much what i expected.

BUT

my engine doesn't really need a rebuild.
it still kick azz. however, i do need to replace the throttle body sensor...maybe the air regulator...maybe the EGR valve...and O2 sensor.

See, when my engine gets hot or warmed up for a while my acceleration performance drops but picks up after first gear. so I need to know exactly what it is causin that. a mechanic checked it out and told me that my engine for sure needs a throttle body sensor and O2 sensor. But other than that I don't what else.

My engine does have new timing belt (about year&half ago), sparkplugs, rotor and cap, hoses, alternator, battery, thermostat, waterpump, filters.
I'm not sure if it needs a new ignition distributor.

see for a while I've been side-trackin for a bit on getting another car, but I thought it out and decided to hold on to what I got and enhance it. I already got some PLENTY of cash already saved up...it was for another car just in case I got one, but not anymore. I'm gonna invest in my DJ thing and my ride. Plus still have my job! Soon my car is also gonna be different. It will be dropped with some S.T. lower springs (anymore info on that Sarin). it will be a different color. and possibly a better front bumper.

but thanks a lot for ya input. i'm back in full effect!

PEACE.
jay good decision bro!!!! Glad to see my lost twin will still be around. What color you thinkin about going with instead. You know that blue was off the hook
Old 09-29-2003, 09:22 PM
I love lamp.

You know, I gotta get off my *** and get my suspension finished....but I gotta get new struts first....those damn KONI's have been a headache and a half...and that was just the fronts! :P I'll keep you posted when I get to work on it.

S