1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

i pulled my radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 02:58 PM

i pulled my radio

ok today i pulled my radio from my maxima bacause the tape deck didnt work so inturn i coudlnt use a cassette adaptor for my mini disc or cd player..well i pulled it...and heres what it looks like

front

hmm that could be a problem...how the hell did it get in there though?

then i was thinking mabe i could replace it with a newer radio from a newer maxima or pathfinder or what not...so i was wondering if any one knew if a newer stock radio from some newer nissan car or suv would fit in my 87 maxima...the reason i'm thinking this because its less expencive, gonna be better than what i have and i can find them on e-gay

heres a pic of the connectors:
Old 10-15-2003, 08:53 AM

Yes, you probably can go with a factory CD/tape deck of some sort. There are two main rear connectors on the Nissans. Most all cars from 1981-94 are of one type and 1995-99 are of the other type.

I had a '94 Altima. The tape deck went out. I bought a factory CD deck from a '97 Pathfinder. The rear plugs were different. I bought a factory replacement harness for a '97 and also a aftermarket plug to go onto the '94 Altima. those are used to plug into your factory power and speaker connections and use the bare wires to go to your new CD player. Well, I connected to two plugs together which basically translated the later year CD deck to the older harness. Worked perfectly.
But, for an easier transision, find a 1994 and older CD deck.

I found out the later years also had an EXTERNAL amplifier. The sound wasn't nearly as loud. I had to max it out most of the time which cut the quality of the low range down drastically. So either wire in a little amp behind the CD unit or just go with an aftermarket one that already has its own internal amp. I ended up buying an aftermarket Cd/MP3 player.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:17 PM

hmm thats interesting because the deck i was eye balling came from a pathfinder and some one on another forum PMed me bout a 6 cd changer indash stock system from a fronter he modified and i'm trying to get pics from him...

this is the pathfinder stereo:was in other cars too
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38640

is it the same or the same kind of connectors on the back?

and do you think you could find the harnesses you were talking about on the net and link me to em please?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:27 AM

Ya, that one you posted is a CD, cassette, and radio. I just got a single din CD/radio so I could keep the coin tray below it. Anyway... same plug on the back from what I remember!

This plug goes into your late 90's Pathfinder radio...
95 up Nissan plug

This plug goes into your Maxima's factory harness...
87-94 Nissan plug

connect the bare wires on both plugs in the middle and you're set! I think the strange antenna design was the same for all years past 1987.
eBay has the harness for less, but the sellers charge you twice as much for shipping so its your call. I get stuff from Audiooutfitter all the time. They are very helpful too if you email them.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:29 AM

I bet if you bought a CD/radio or could find the double-din size for a 1993-94 Altima then you could plug it right in with no adaptor! The back of your factory deck looks like the same as my Altima's. Go online and compare pics.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:55 PM

now that i fully understand what you did with the adaptors i think either way wouldnt be much of a problem...how ever i wouldnt know what wires are for what commiong out of the newer system that i need to solder to the older plug
Old 10-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Radios

I have an 1985 and the radio left a lot to be desired so I replaced it with a JVC din sized radio/CD. It was real easy to wire up using a Nissan shop manual for the car wires colors. I ordered the adapter from Crutchfield for 40 bucks. Looks real good and sounds better than the original by far. If you want, I can send you pics of the radio.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:52 PM

the service manual has the pin outs for the radio?

how much does a service manual cost this chiltons is next to worthless for these types of things and well accually its very worthless in general
Old 10-17-2003, 01:30 AM

alright well it turns now it doesent sit there and switch directions the whole time but i still dont get any thing from any tape or tape adaptor some something else is wrong, i even cleaned it/demagnitized it so its something i dont want to fix
Old 10-20-2003, 03:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Service Manual

The wiring diagram was in a Service Manual that is used by Nissan Service Mechanics. I found it on Ebay. It is really detailed.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:52 AM

Ahh the old 2nd Gen MAx stereo system. I have the same one too. I don't want to take it out because the thing is a classic. I get compliments on the equallizer. Which cars has one like that today?

I bought one of those cassete adapters but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It is loud sometimes and most times the volume is way too low. I have no idea why it is doing this. I don't want to buy a new system because then I would have to replace the crappy speakers.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:11 PM

well my drivers side speaker is shot and my cassette deck although it turns now nothing will put out any sound...its irritating...i had a cleaner/demagnitizer but it didnt do any thing
Old 10-25-2003, 12:15 PM

You think it could be the wires? Very little sound come out when I put in an adapter cassete and plug it into my mp3/cd player. I might cleanm it too but I don'tr think that will solve the prob. On a side note how are those SilverStars for ya?

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
well my drivers side speaker is shot and my cassette deck although it turns now nothing will put out any sound...its irritating...i had a cleaner/demagnitizer but it didnt do any thing
Old 10-25-2003, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPowers
You think it could be the wires? Very little sound come out when I put in an adapter cassete and plug it into my mp3/cd player. I might cleanm it too but I don'tr think that will solve the prob. On a side note how are those SilverStars for ya?

i think the read heads probally gone bad....after 16 years and sitting for a while they tend not to be the most reliable thing especially in a car where it heats up pretty hot inside....and i havent gotten silverstars yet...was going to but then i needed an alternator....i got to thinkin i'd rather have an alternator than lights that dont work....i still dont have a job but i think somethings gonna come through and on the first pay check i need to get some things...