1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Suspension/Brakes

Old 10-19-2003, 07:37 PM

Suspension/Brakes

First of all, I need to know about this one problem I'm having. It's all around the front driver side area. Sometimes I feel a small vibration on the floor near the pedals. Sometimes when I brake, I notice a rough grinding. Sometimes when I want to turn left sharply, like a left U-turn, I hear a metal-to-metal pop noise when I turn the steering all the way. I can't really pin point what exactly what it could be. Any ideas?

PLUS
Soon. I will get my new Suspension Technique lowering springs. Also my new KYB front struts. (Now I'll have all 4 since I only have rear KYB). I'm waiting for that brown van to roll in so I could 'em installed. Oh yeah! I also bought and have new brake rotors to install. They are Brembo cross-drilled & slotted rotors. I searched like a ***** and found some for my Max. I'll keep ya'll posted when I get all my goods in.

PEACE
Old 10-19-2003, 08:18 PM
I love lamp.

It sounds like you have some brakes to do...grinding is when breaking means usually that your brake pads are down or you got a warped rotor or something. As for the poping noise, it could be one of your c/v joints could be bad. That's all I can think of at the moment. :P

S
Old 10-20-2003, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by jayfresh
First of all, I need to know about this one problem I'm having. It's all around the front driver side area. Sometimes I feel a small vibration on the floor near the pedals. Sometimes when I brake, I notice a rough grinding. Sometimes when I want to turn left sharply, like a left U-turn, I hear a metal-to-metal pop noise when I turn the steering all the way. I can't really pin point what exactly what it could be. Any ideas?

PLUS
Soon. I will get my new Suspension Technique lowering springs. Also my new KYB front struts. (Now I'll have all 4 since I only have rear KYB). I'm waiting for that brown van to roll in so I could 'em installed. Oh yeah! I also bought and have new brake rotors to install. They are Brembo cross-drilled & slotted rotors. I searched like a ***** and found some for my Max. I'll keep ya'll posted when I get all my goods in.

PEACE

well the shaking breaks is probally warped disc's (like mine) the grinding i dont know but it could be time for some pads and the sharp metal pop...i have it too but when it happens can you feel in in the floor like its under you or does it kinda sound like when you bottom out and scrape the tow hook?
Old 10-20-2003, 02:09 AM

the metal pop noise happens when I turn the wheel all the way to the left and move with a turn (u-turn for example) but when I let go the wheel very slightly then continue the turn it won't pop

as for the feel on the floor, I meant as when I drive steady without accelerating I'll feel a slight vibration on that side on the floor. it could be mechanical or just normal road condition thing.

Oh yeah. I know I need rotors that's why I got those new ones I mentioned. Many people told me so for a long azz time. And I don't need new pads because all of them are new
Old 10-20-2003, 03:53 AM

well wait this isnt makeing any sence....my stablizer pops when ever the car leans one way or another to much and when i accelerate but some times when i back out of the drove way and i turn the wheel all the way over i hear a metal scraping sound like i just bottomed out but i dont ever see any marks in the driveway and thats the only time it does it....try to reccord the sound
Old 10-20-2003, 08:35 AM
I love lamp.

hmmm, it could mean that you have one of to things that could be making that popping noise. The first could be a tie-rod end, the 2nd could be a ball joint. Those are the only things that could make that popping noise like that. A C/V joint would make clicking noises when turning if they were bad.

For the vibration in the floor, it could just mean that you got a wheel out of balance, or your just really in a need of an alignment.

S
Old 10-20-2003, 02:30 PM

it could also be a loose sway bar...either end links or body mount bushings...
Old 10-31-2003, 11:14 AM

Well as of this moment, my Max is under surgery right now. Yesterday my new front KYB's and new lowering springs were installed. But now, it's in a need of a new CV Joint for the Front Passenger and Ball Joint. They are muthaf*kin horrible. So the whole time...that was my problem. My boy told me that when I turn left all the way it would cause that exact problem. Plus it couldn;t be driver side because that got inspected as well...boot all in contact, joint in place, and in stiff place....GOOD. The problem was found as my boy dropped in the new Springs and struts assembly. Noticed the parts all jacked...then as it was put back together the CV was loose the ball joint was grinding. Lucky it didn't go off on the highway! Well I holla at ya later.

Peace
Old 10-31-2003, 07:34 PM

i must say...

CRAP!

i dont wanna have to replace that.....grr this thing is starting to cost alot of freakin money and i havent even done the things i want to do to it yet
Old 11-02-2003, 05:20 PM

DAMMM! You are Cheap!
Old 11-02-2003, 05:36 PM

ok think of it this way....

do i have a job?

noooooo

are people hireing me?

noooo and i dont know why...i have lost count of how many places i have applied
Old 11-02-2003, 06:12 PM
I love lamp.

well if your attitude in looking for work is as brilliant and perky as your attitude here.....that may explain a lot....

Now, if there were jobs in which you reply to email or threads with a bunch of useless bull**** that no one cares about, man you'd make a killin!
Old 11-02-2003, 07:19 PM

ok why are people being *** holes now?
Old 11-02-2003, 10:15 PM
I love lamp.

You really don't want me answering that......and on top of that...this is way off-topic.

Anyway, I've ordered my GR-2's, with new strut mounts, boots, thrust seats, etc. So soon I'll be to where I should of been when I did the original swap. :P

S
Old 11-03-2003, 09:27 AM

it's Day 3 with my new gear in place
It rides tighter, lower, and looks great. Now I just need to drop in my new brake rotors, left CV joint, left ball joint, and throw back on my wheels. From there I'll continue on that intake mod, throttle, and converter.

Dam Kid....why you buggin'? Just cause you got no dough don't mean you have to hate. Geez man relax, decaf. Decaf. Callin' us a-holes...boy you really crossed the line on that one.
Get off that computer and get a real job...