1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Transmission rebuild book and/or #

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 09:26 PM

Transmission rebuild book and/or #

Hey im looking for the model # off of a 2nd gen 5 speed transmission. It is like RL401A or something like that. The number is located on the top of the transmission. Also can anyone help me find a shop manual for this particular transmission? My tranny has been at the shop for over two months and they haven't done $hit except rip it apart and give me a horendous price quote, so I think it is about time to take matters into my own hands. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
blah
Old 12-12-2003, 09:52 PM
I love lamp.

Factory Service Manual is your best bet. You can find them on Ebay. Look for one for your year.

S
Old 12-12-2003, 09:53 PM

NM I found the number I think. Is it RE4F02A? Or RL4F02A? One of them is the auto and one the manual I believe. I think the RE is the manual. I also found a few sites for anyone that cares

http://order.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin...0c52ea4680ff85

http://www.levelten.com/store/import/import_manual.htm

Ok now, two more question. What is cryo treating?
AND does anyone have any suggestions on what to do so this transmission holds up under added HP? I have a Z31 turbo engine ready to go, I just need to swap it in and rebuild my transmission. I want to do this right while I have it out so that I wont be replacing it again in 6 months due to hard driving. Any suggestions?
Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:58 PM

Oh, maximase86. I was just looking at your car today on cardomain.com. I swear to god your the only person on that place that hasnt ruined their 2nd gen maxima. Good to see at least one of you has some taste
Old 12-12-2003, 10:10 PM
I love lamp.

Thanks! There have been other things that have been done, like the car has been lowered 1.5", I have painted the grill and cornering lamp trim the same color as the car. Planning on going for the 88 Shiro Edition look, but in the 85-86 body and Dark Red Metallic. I like the body style, and I don't like too flashy. I do plan on some new wheels, probably some nice 17's, but other than that, I'm not gonna do much to the car more to the car cosmetic wise. I'm all about go, not the show.

S
Old 12-12-2003, 10:16 PM
I love lamp.

This is from the chiltons manual:

Automatic: RL4F02A
5-Speed Manual: RS5F50A

S
Old 12-12-2003, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Thanks! There have been other things that have been done, like the car has been lowered 1.5", I have painted the grill and cornering lamp trim the same color as the car. Planning on going for the 88 Shiro Edition look, but in the 85-86 body and Dark Red Metallic. I like the body style, and I don't like too flashy. I do plan on some new wheels, probably some nice 17's, but other than that, I'm not gonna do much to the car more to the car cosmetic wise. I'm all about go, not the show.

S
Glad someone understands that. You painted the grill?? It looked good with the black though It matched the air dam lol
Do you have any recent pics of it. I want to get rims but the car is so old looking, I think it wouldnt look right.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:18 PM

This is from the chiltons manual:

Automatic: RL4F02A
5-Speed Manual: RS5F50A

S
Huh. I ripped that page out that said the tranny #'s on it. I remember it being different than that though. would you do me a favor? would you go look at your tranny and see what it says pleeeease I just want to be sure so that I dont order the wrong manual
Old 12-12-2003, 10:24 PM
I love lamp.

The black does look good, but with the paint I got from paintscratch.com, it really looks nice. Basically think of a black second gen, how it all black. Now think of that, but in Dark Red Metallic, with the trim around the windows and door windows being black, I want it to kinda set my car appart from the rest of the second gens without being to radical of a change. It has a 3rd gen SE look to it too. As for the rims, I am looking for something that matches the car best. So far the ones I might be getting is Enkei MM2's. I'm looking that the ones that kinda look like Gunmetal with a polished lip.

S
Old 12-12-2003, 10:32 PM
I love lamp.

I tried taking a look, my flashlight is almost dead so I couldn't locate a number. Also keep in mind I have a 3rd gen 5-speed, which is the same, but it should be the RS5F50A.

S
Old 12-12-2003, 10:38 PM

I tried taking a look, my flashlight is almost dead so I couldn't locate a number. Also keep in mind I have a 3rd gen 5-speed, which is the same, but it should be the RS5F50A.

S
Thanks for trying. I guess it is the right number.
Jesus WHAT A P.I.T.A.! I swear this has to be the rarest transmission known to man. There is NEVER anything for it. AAMCO quoted 1500 to rebuild it (I dont know what normal pricing is but I was thinking more around 800 for the rebuild), and the dealership said 850 just for the parts. It irritates me ya know
Old 12-12-2003, 10:40 PM

http://www.drivetrain.com/nissanRS5F50Afwd5sp.html here is a site for anyone thinking of rebuilding their tranny. Not a how to, but it offers rebuild kits including differental bearings
Old 12-12-2003, 10:49 PM
I love lamp.

Well 5-speed maxima's tend to be rare finds at times. They tend to be a little more spendy in rebuilds as well. I don't know if you want to try this, but when my original 5-speed went out back a year and a half ago, I ended up converting to a 3rd gen 5-speed. They are the same model numbers, however, there are some differences. First of all, synchro's have improved. They seem to be weak spot in the 2nd gen batch. They also have a closer gear ratio's, but and aren't as tall as the 2nd gen. Keep in mind that 5th gear will run the motor about 500rpm higher with the 3rd gen tranny compared the 2nd which may hurt fuel mileage but not much. Also there mount the 3rd gen tranny a little differently, but it there are still mounting points for it to work in the 2nd gen. Also you will need to swap shift linkage, and speedo gear, and splice in the old reverse harness to the new one. Either way I did my whole swap with a new clutch for about 800, bout 400 for the transmission, 400 for the clutch job, which included the tranny swap. I can say, if you keep your eyes peel for the transmission, and check it out throughly, the swap will be well worth it. Even though I do have a used tranny, it's proven to be reliable. I've put over 35k miles or so on this transmission, and it's still smooth and works very well.

S
Old 12-12-2003, 10:54 PM

Well 5-speed maxima's tend to be rare finds at times. They tend to be a little more spendy in rebuilds as well. I don't know if you want to try this, but when my original 5-speed went out back a year and a half ago, I ended up converting to a 3rd gen 5-speed. They are the same model numbers, however, there are some differences. First of all, synchro's have improved. They seem to be weak spot in the 2nd gen batch. They also have a closer gear ratio's, but and aren't as tall as the 2nd gen. Keep in mind that 5th gear will run the motor about 500rpm higher with the 3rd gen tranny compared the 2nd which may hurt fuel mileage but not much. Also there mount the 3rd gen tranny a little differently, but it there are still mounting points for it to work in the 2nd gen. Also you will need to swap shift linkage, and speedo gear, and splice in the old reverse harness to the new one. Either way I did my whole swap with a new clutch for about 800, bout 400 for the transmission, 400 for the clutch job, which included the tranny swap. I can say, if you keep your eyes peel for the transmission, and check it out throughly, the swap will be well worth it. Even though I do have a used tranny, it's proven to be reliable. I've put over 35k miles or so on this transmission, and it's still smooth and works very well.

S
Where did you find the tranny and such at? A junkyard, Or from another source? Also do you know if it would it be possible to swap the RS5F50V with the LSD into our gen? I wonder what the difference is between them (besides the obvious)
Old 12-12-2003, 11:16 PM
I love lamp.

I got it from a decently run junkyard. Originally I was going to a place accross the street from them, but the place was crap, stuff all over the place, thier office was a run down shack. Went to the other yard, which had a nice office, everything was neatly organized and they were able to find the tranny in a matter of minutes. My uncle inspected it and said it's good to go.

As for the LSD version, it should therotically work. It hasn't been tried on older gens, but my guess is yes it will. The only things I'm worried about fiting are the differential splines there the drive shaft goes in, and the bellhousing to motor. My bet is it will work, but keep in mind that there is a good possiblility it won't fit properly. We won't know until someone tries, if you want to go for it and pioneer it, that'd be great. I'll try to help you with as much knowledge as I have.

S
Old 12-13-2003, 04:11 PM

IF you do try the LSD 3rd gen unit, and find it doesn't fit correctly, but you're willing to try this, I had the thought of swapping the internals from a 3rd gen tranny, into a 2nd gen housing, replacing the seals and bearing, etc.., in the process, to eliminate the hassles of the mouting points, etc...there would still be a few quirks to work out, but I think it could be possible from the tranny blown-up diag's I've seen between the two models...
Old 12-13-2003, 04:16 PM

I am going to just start posting links that are relevant to what I need
This is a link to factory service manuals for Nissan Cars, ALL EXCEPT THE GENERATION I NEED--AGAIN! CRAP! Anyway I hope people find this usefull. Maybe I will make a seperate post with all of the links I find.

http://progear2000.com/page2.html
Old 12-13-2003, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by MaxWgn
IF you do try the LSD 3rd gen unit, and find it doesn't fit correctly, but you're willing to try this, I had the thought of swapping the internals from a 3rd gen tranny, into a 2nd gen housing, replacing the seals and bearing, etc.., in the process, to eliminate the hassles of the mouting points, etc...there would still be a few quirks to work out, but I think it could be possible from the tranny blown-up diag's I've seen between the two models...
I have been looking around alot today and I am starting to think that the transmission will in fact fit. It seems that the later Third Generation cars had one of two transmissions in it, one with the LSD and one without. The reason I think this is that most of the transmission sites I have been to thus far have had manuals or kits or something else for the LSD and a seperate transmission without it. Maybe I will call or email Nissan and find out about it. I guess while im talking to them I could see about swapping the tranny into my car
lates
Old 12-13-2003, 04:21 PM

Oh I guess I kind of floated off the subject for a second, what I was getting at was that if they use two transmissions, the older version, and the newer LSD version that probably means that they didnt change any of the designs of the car. It seems logical to design it so that you can just fit it onto the already designed car, but you know how those engineers are
Old 12-13-2003, 04:44 PM

Possibly a factory service manual for our cars, still not quite sure

http://www.books4cars.com/3way/resul...=57&offset=300
Old 12-13-2003, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by blahblahblah
Possibly a factory service manual for our cars, still not quite sure

http://www.books4cars.com/3way/resul...=57&offset=300
Hey

The only place your gonna find a Factory service manual at a decent price is on "eBay", just don't over bid, ha. There is two now up for auction. Do a search for 1987 nissan maxima if the links below don't work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2447762985

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2448549938

Maximase86 was correct about the manual transmission p/n.
The 87 FSM list it as ....... RS5F50A .......

Al
Old 12-13-2003, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by alllw86
Hey

The only place your gonna find a Factory service manual at a decent price is on "eBay", just don't over bid, ha. There is two now up for auction. Do a search for 1987 nissan maxima if the links below don't work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2447762985

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2448549938

Maximase86 was correct about the manual transmission p/n.
The 87 FSM list it as ....... RS5F50A .......

Al
THANK YOU!!!!!!!! ebay was the first place I searched but nothing came up for the maxima when I did. Thanks alot man
Old 12-13-2003, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by blahblahblah
Oh I guess I kind of floated off the subject for a second, what I was getting at was that if they use two transmissions, the older version, and the newer LSD version that probably means that they didnt change any of the designs of the car. It seems logical to design it so that you can just fit it onto the already designed car, but you know how those engineers are
Where the difference comes in, when I was looking up the tranny's, all of the US bound 92-94 SE's came with the LSD.

But the reason we say the tranny to engine mounts could be different is the fact that they were actually different engines...the 85 - 94 GXE & 85-91 SE's had the VG30E engine. The 92-94 SE's had the first generation VQ30DE engine which was a massively different engine. Therefore, since no one has ever tried the swap, no one knows if it will work. It always worth a shot, though, since they share the same model number, etc...they were supposedly based form the same casing, etc.., just one had an LSD, and one didn't....but until someone actually compares them, we'll never know.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:53 PM

I think it is about time we find out, dont you Ill see what I can do about getting one of these transmissions from a junkyard then. Will probably be within the next month or so. Maybe I will just order a remanufactured one instead and then rebuild it when the time comes.
I can always send it back if it doesnt work for the other transmission.
thanks
Old 12-13-2003, 08:09 PM
I love lamp.

Minor correction Louis, 3rd gen's have the VE30DE. Basically if you look at the tranny model numbers, the they are the same except for the last letter. The one without LSD has an "A" at the end, the LSD one has a "V" at the end. I think it should bolt up, because the 4th gen's with LSD use V tranny, but there were also 4th gens' without LSD that used the A tranny. Let us know how it works, as I may consider going that route.

S
Old 12-13-2003, 08:13 PM

Minor correction Louis, 3rd gen's have the VE30DE. Basically if you look at the tranny model numbers, the they are the same except for the last letter. The one without LSD has an "A" at the end, the LSD one has a "V" at the end. I think it should bolt up, because the 4th gen's with LSD use V tranny, but there were also 4th gens' without LSD that used the A tranny. Let us know how it works, as I may consider going that route.

S
What he was saying though is that the LSD transmission went onto the VQ30DE Engine and the other transmssion was on the Vg30 series which means that it is very possible that there may have been a change to the design of the mounting pattern. I would suspect that they would have changed the model number more than one letter if they had done so, but I couldnt say either way for sure without seeing a transmission or talking to someone that knows.
Old 12-13-2003, 08:32 PM
I love lamp.

Well here's the deal. The LSD was on the VE30DE (92-94 SE's), and certain VQ30DE (4th gens) but not all got the LSD. Most VQ30DE 5-speeds came with the "A" series tranny which is the same on all VG30E cars. I've done a lot of work on different 4th gens, and it's very rare to find a 4th gen with LSD.

S
Old 12-13-2003, 08:34 PM

LOL what were they thinking at nissan when they made this thing
Old 12-13-2003, 08:43 PM
I love lamp.

Well from what happened, the 92-94 SE's got every performance bell and whistle out there, which at the time, was brand new technology, variable timing, variable intake, LSD, though they were great cars, they cost too much to produce, and so they had to kinda ditch that stuff after a while.

S
Old 12-14-2003, 12:42 PM

Altima XE or S RS5F50A 1993-95

Altima GXE or SE RS5F50V 1993-95

Axxess RS5F50A / V 1990-91

Maxima RS5F50A 1985-96

Maxima with LSD 1992-96

Pulsar 1.8 Liter Engine RS5F50A 1988-89

Stanza Including Wagon, except GXE
RS5F50A 1986-95

Stanza GXE RS5F50V 1990-95
Old 12-14-2003, 12:58 PM
I love lamp.

Yeah It seems that Nissan tends to use the same tranny through out their FWD models, but the differences would be the bellhousing since they all had different motors.

S
Old 12-14-2003, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by MaxWgn
Do you have any of the diagrams for me to look at? I guess I could search for them but i have a feeling they are going to be a p.i.t.a. to find. Also if I was going to go this route then theoretically I could use the internals from any of the RS5F50 series transmission right? If so it may make it a whole lot easier find a working LSD combo.
thanks for you input.

***ALSO 1986MAX I appoligize for doing that. I shouldn't have made such a general statement about all of the cars on car domain without looking at all of them.*****
Old 12-14-2003, 02:30 PM
I love lamp.

To the looks of it, if you have a RS5F50V and it doesn't fit, you should probably take the internals of that and put it into a RS5F50A, which will fit. So technically, you already have the housing and bellhousing already, you would need to get the other transmission. Plus you can be reassured because you will building up a new one.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:36 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking. Now all I need to do is find a LSD transmission and get my manual off of ebay. Then the fun begins
Old 12-14-2003, 02:38 PM

Oh and I asked this before but no one awnsered it, is there any way to beef up the transmission? I read somewhere cryo treating, I dont know what that is, something to do with freezing the parts maybe or is cryo a brand name of something? Any other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 12-14-2003, 02:56 PM
I love lamp.

Yeah, cyro treating is a way to go to beef up the transmission. Basically they super freeze the parts to harden them more. Very popular thing to do with motors. You can probably find performance shaft bearings and syncros, but those are hard to come by.

S
Old 01-03-2004, 03:43 PM

ok I believe I found a RS5F50V transmission, but I need to be certain. What cars for sure did they come in? The one I found is in a 96 maxima SE. Which to my understading this is the last year that has the RS5F50A/V series correct?
Old 01-03-2004, 03:50 PM

Also I think I may have found out what happened inside of my transmission, the mainshaft front bearing fell apart when I was cleaning it yesterday. It had horrible spalling along with two of the other carrier bearings. My question is this, for a quallified transmission repair mechanic, would a crappy bearing make it so I couldnt shift into 1st gear? I could shift into the other ones but it would pop out of first when I let the clutch out. I thought it was the syncro but I could be worng.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:29 PM
I love lamp.

I'm not a qualified mechanic, but I think that if there was enough play caused by the spalling on the tranny, it could theretically cause the binding in the shift linkage preventing the shift into first. However, it would more likely be a bad syncro, or damage done to first gear itself that would probably cause that, but not always.

As for the tranny, I believe it was in most 92-94 SE's, certain altima's, and infiniti I30's from 96 on

S
Old 01-03-2004, 06:31 PM

So it isnt in a 96 se huh? Crap, lol, I was so excited.

Quick Reply: Transmission rebuild book and/or #