1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Transmission rebuild book and/or #

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 08:30 PM
I love lamp.

As far as I know, no, but you may get lucky. Is it a place near by? I'd check it out for the sake of checking it out.

S
Old 01-09-2004, 08:49 PM

WOot WoOt im half way through with the rebuild, been smooth sailing thus far. Only two problems so far, well maybe three. I ordered some 3 jaw gear pullers off ebay and they got here today. To make a long story short gear pullers dont work, when it says to use a shop press, you need a shop press lol. The solution to this was a local parts store had a shop press. Which brought up problem two, we didnt look to closely at the build sheet and busted the coupling sleeve to the 3rd/4th gear. No big deal though, it is like $35 and I was going to have to replace it anyway due to wear. Problem three, and this was the tough one, the main shaft front bearing outer race is a PITA to get out. I thought the small pullers would get it out, nope. There wasnt enough room for the little hooks to go under the race. After some carefull planning (see-bad temper) I got a claw type hammer and used the nail puller end to get the race out. There is a little hole for the oil to drain back from the shaft down to the little oil gutter. If you stick one of the claw ends in the hole you can get the race to come out with a little coaxing.
So far so good. Only a few bad parts. I am wondering how bad is bad? 3 of the gears have small chips taken out of the teeth <1 mm maybe. Vey small, but I dont know how this will effect performance. It is bad in the 4th gear which I am replacing, but in the other gears it is pretty minor. Also the sharp edges are rounded off a bit on one or two of the couplings, any probelms here? Most of it just looks like normal wear to me. But im not an expert so ill take and knowledgeable advice.
Im sorry I dont have pics, I would have loved to make this into a tutorial but I dont have a digital camera. If anyone plans on rebuilding there tranny themselfs I would be glad to walk them through it or offer tips.
Lates
Old 01-09-2004, 09:02 PM
I love lamp.

Well from the sound of what your saying, it probably is just normal wear and tear on the tranny. I would expect the gears to have a little rounding on the edges, we notice this when I was doing a auto to 5-speed conversion on a 4th gen. As far as the pits, as long as they aren't huge, you probably don't have anything to worry about, but check for the consistency of those marks throughout the gear. If you notice a pattern, there would be something binding or rubbing in there that should be addressed before you put it back together. Also in a job like this, figure on some things being replaced.

Also, when you finish this, do you mind doing a write up? It would probably be helpful for others that may want to attempt this. If you get pics, great, if not, oh well.

S
Old 01-11-2004, 03:55 PM

Damn, I got the price quote for all of the parts to fix the transmission, came to about $645 plus whatever it costs to get the gears pressed back on and the gear oil and grey sealant. Looks like it will be around $700. Those parts got broke were actually about $70 a piece not $35 lol. Oh well live and learn I guess. Also, if any of you do this and decide your bearings on the mainshaft are in good condition, PULL THEM OFF, DONT CUT THEM! They are about $45 a piece. I cut them both off when only one of them was bad. $45 may not seem like too much but it all adds up very fast. Definatly find someone with a shop press, makes things 500x easier, rent tools, and dont be hasty in trying to get it fixed, I cost myself about $200 cause I was impatient which could have went to getting the gears cryo treated. Anyway Im going to see about getting a digital camera so I can take pics of the re-assembley and make a write up.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:40 PM
I love lamp.

Ack, that sucks to hear something like that! Oh well, I suppose **** happens. Either way, you'll have practically a fresh rebuilt tranny and vlsd. Either way, keep us posted.

S
Old 01-12-2004, 08:51 PM

No Vlsd either. That transmission never came through so Im still using the old differental. Actually to tell you the truth I just bought another max lol. Im going to use it for parts but the tranny is good on it so Im going to crack it open and see that everything is ok. If not I will use the good parts from my old tranny to replace the bad parts in the new one. Saved $200 that way and got a whole new engine (and car) to "toy" around with and build up.