1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

87 SE Maxima engine trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 08:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

87 SE Maxima engine trouble...

Hi gang, just found you last night on a whim searching for any help on an engine issue. And I apologize up front for the long read. After running for a while, the engine begins to stumble or what I call flooding out on acceleration. The ECU reads 44 which means no code. The dealership computer came back with the Cyl Head Temp Sensor needed replacement. So I did that, and it did not fix the problem (yes, I changed the timing belt and water pump in the process). I have experimented with severl things, one of which is premium gas (93). The problem is less intermittent when running 93. Here is the thing that really stumps me; when the car begins to run rough like it's flooding, I can turn the car off and wait 5 seconds, crank the car back on and it runs like a top for about 10 minutes, or until I give it really high revs over 4,000. The high revs and then back to idle several times seems to initiate the problem, although it will just occur while driving under normal conditions. Have any of you experienced anything like this or have a clue as to what could be causing the ECU to be sending more gas in than is really needed.

And if you guys can solve this problem, just wait till you hear about the problem with my other 87 SE!!! LOL Thanks a ton in advance.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:34 PM
I love lamp.

Well, I have a couple things that it could be. Does your motor when it floods out act like it can't go past 2000 rpm? If that's the case, it could be your MAF sensor. The other things I can think of that can cause that is a O2 sensor, since these are known to go bad without throwing a code. The other thing that could be bad if a fuel pressure regulator, or the vacuum solenoid that controls it. Those are problem some your best bets to causing your problem. Also, have you changed your fuel filter or air filter lately? Also if you look at the bottom of your airbox, do you see any water?

S
Old 12-21-2003, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Well, I have a couple things that it could be. Does your motor when it floods out act like it can't go past 2000 rpm? If that's the case, it could be your MAF sensor. The other things I can think of that can cause that is a O2 sensor, since these are known to go bad without throwing a code. The other thing that could be bad if a fuel pressure regulator, or the vacuum solenoid that controls it. Those are problem some your best bets to causing your problem. Also, have you changed your fuel filter or air filter lately? Also if you look at the bottom of your airbox, do you see any water?

S
When my fuel regulator went out it just caused the motor to idle up and down rapidly then sometimes die.I didn't replace the vacuum solenoid that controls it tho. Should I ? And if so where can I find it at (parts stores)?

Keith
Old 12-21-2003, 04:53 PM
I love lamp.

If it's running fine, I wouldn't really worry about it.

S
Old 12-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maximase86

S
Thansk for the reply. I've experienced MAFS problems before and this does not resemble the issues I had when the sensor failed. The entire fuel rail assembly is virtually brand new, (less than 15,000 miles since the service campaign) The fuel filter could stand to be changed, but that would not explain the change in ECU when shutting off and then re-starting. If the O2 can cause the mixture to be rich and still not throw a code to the ECU, then that may be my best bet. Will probably experiment by pulling the O2 off the other car and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know the outcome.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:04 PM
I love lamp.

cool, sure hope things work out.

S