1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Maxima Diesel Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima Diesel Help!

My Maxima diesel suddenly quit running while I was driving home. I thought it might be the fuel shut-off switch on the pump or the injection pump drive belt might have broke. I used a test light on the pump switch and there was no juice to it. I tried running a straight wire from the battery and that didn't help. I couldn't find the relay that powered the shut-off switch.
Is the drive belt for the pump easy to change? I have a service manual, but not sure if I can get the timing correct.
Anybody have any suggestions???
Thanks,
Jim
Old 10-30-2003, 10:21 AM

fuse/relay?
good luck hope everything works.

i wish my max wasnt totaled. if you decide to sell in the future, i will jump all over it if i have the cash.

kevin
Old 10-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by astro1112
fuse/relay?
good luck hope everything works.

i wish my max wasnt totaled. if you decide to sell in the future, i will jump all over it if i have the cash.

kevin
Kevin,
I can't seem to find which relay controls the solenoid on the pump. The service manual only mentions a "starter relay" & "ignition relay" for the diesel engine. I thought for sure by straight wiring it it would make it take fuel. I'll keep checking.
Thanks,
Jim
I think I sent you pics of my car didn't I?
Old 11-07-2003, 09:27 AM

i think you sent me pics...not exactly sure anymore.
you find out what the problem was? judging by your last post, could it be the pump itself? if so, that will be a pain to find, diesel max only made up 11% of production. best of luck.

kevin
Old 12-06-2003, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by jimgood50
My Maxima diesel suddenly quit running while I was driving home. I thought it might be the fuel shut-off switch on the pump or the injection pump drive belt might have broke. .... Thanks,
Jim
ohhhhhhhhh Kkkkkkkkk..... Ive been thru my Nissan FRM and the Crapilton (Chilton Manuel) and I cant now or previously find any mention of a fuel pump.

Whar the hell is this fuel pump ur speaking off?
Old 12-22-2003, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What is the fuel pump shut off switch? i believe that is what you meant. All diesel engines have to have a shut off solenoid or the motor would not quit running when you turn the key off, because there is not electrical ignition system as in a gas powered engine. If the solenoid goes bad in the off position the car will not start because no fuel will reach the injectors.
My problem turned out to be a broken injection pump drive belt. It turned out to be a real easy fix with a couple of hours of labor. The new belt was $15. The hard part was getting the new belt lined up so the mark on the pump gear matched the timing mark on the crankshaft. The first time I tried I was just a couple of teeth off and the car ran terribly and smoked worse than a locomotive. Now it runs like a charm. If anyone has a problem with their diesel running drop me a line.
jlgood650@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by coachgeo
ohhhhhhhhh Kkkkkkkkk..... Ive been thru my Nissan FRM and the Crapilton (Chilton Manuel) and I cant now or previously find any mention of a fuel pump.

Whar the hell is this fuel pump ur speaking off?
[B][B]