1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Nissan Master Tech for Hire Ohio area

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 03:44 PM

Nissan Master Tech for Hire Ohio area

Hey guys . Times are tough and work is slow so I thought i would give this a try . Have been a Nissan Master tech for 16 years . ASE Master Certified . L1 Certification . Also Held Mitzubishi Master when I worked on them a few years ago . If Anyone needs anything done and are in the Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky area give me a shout .Im about 45 Minutes north of Cincinatti up I-75 . 1 hour west of Columbus down I-70 .
I dont do much heavy line at home do to not having a rack here but will do maintnance/trob shoot ect. Rates are very friendly and I do Very Nice Work. Can also get discounts on parts for your repair. Email Spddracer@aol.com and tell your friends !
Old 03-16-2004, 05:20 PM
I love lamp.

Man, too bad you don't live near me. I'm do for a timing belt, don't have the time or courage to do it myself!! I'm pretty good at tearing things apart and what not, but just from the sheer fact that something can go horribly wrong with this...it just makes me nervous regardless of how skilled I am!

S
Old 03-16-2004, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Man, too bad you don't live near me. I'm do for a timing belt, don't have the time or courage to do it myself!! I'm pretty good at tearing things apart and what not, but just from the sheer fact that something can go horribly wrong with this...it just makes me nervous regardless of how skilled I am!

S
Dahm your pic makes me miss my 85 SE . Brings back good memories . I bought the car with 265,000 mile son it for $400 drove it for a few years Gave the car to my father with a lil over 300K on the odo when his GM got totaled . After he drove it for 2 years they sold it to a coworker for his son to drive as a first car at 402,000 miles on the odo . After he owend it for about 6 months he overheated it (leaking water pump) ran it out of coolant got so hot the solder came out of the radiator,melted the plug wires into the heads blew dahm near every hose on it . I put a pump,t-belt,plugs,wires,radiator,hoses on it... started right up.. 3 years later its still going ! Just cant kill that old max ! last I heard they sold it to a friend and it now has over 500,000 on the ODO
Old 03-17-2004, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by spddracer
Dahm your pic makes me miss my 85 SE . Brings back good memories . I bought the car with 265,000 mile son it for $400 drove it for a few years Gave the car to my father with a lil over 300K on the odo when his GM got totaled . After he drove it for 2 years they sold it to a coworker for his son to drive as a first car at 402,000 miles on the odo . After he owend it for about 6 months he overheated it (leaking water pump) ran it out of coolant got so hot the solder came out of the radiator,melted the plug wires into the heads blew dahm near every hose on it . I put a pump,t-belt,plugs,wires,radiator,hoses on it... started right up.. 3 years later its still going ! Just cant kill that old max ! last I heard they sold it to a friend and it now has over 500,000 on the ODO
Luckily it was the SE with the 5-speed, the auto wouldn't last
that long without a few rebuilds!

Question for ya... I have an 86 wagon with the auto tranny and here
recently the tranny takes a while to go into gear after being shifted into
drive (reverse never has a problem, yet).

Happens mainly first time in the morning, rest of the day it's fine unless
the weather is cold and it has sat for a few hours, then it's not near as
bad, but will return some.

It has been worse with the winter weather (taking as long as one minute
to engage after being shifted into gear).

I've checked the fluid and it's up where it should be...

I'm thinking it's time for a fluid change in the tranny, we've owned the
car for about a year and a half now and we've never changed the fluid
(car has 136K on the odo).

Do you have any suggestions?

Also, the skinny here on the forum is NOT to flush the tranny, but to merely
drain and fill, what's your say?

Thanks!
Scott
Old 03-17-2004, 01:06 PM

Have you tried pulling it donw in to low 1 and see if it goes directly into gear ? Have you checked the shifter bushings on the cable front and rear ? I have had people complain about not going into gear and it be as simple as a worn/missing bushing . Next time it does it pull it into a lower gear and see if it goes in . If it does I would look closely at both bushings . If its not that I would say it internal and probably a clutch (foward or Low/reverse leaking when cold and letting the pressure by till it warms up . Bushing are hte most common problem on the older max . There is one located on the trans where it hooks to the cable and one under the car ont he bottom of the shifter . CHeck them both esp if it goes into gear if you pull into a lower gear .
Old 03-17-2004, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by spddracer
Have you tried pulling it donw in to low 1 and see if it goes directly into gear ? Have you checked the shifter bushings on the cable front and rear ? I have had people complain about not going into gear and it be as simple as a worn/missing bushing . Next time it does it pull it into a lower gear and see if it goes in . If it does I would look closely at both bushings . If its not that I would say it internal and probably a clutch (foward or Low/reverse leaking when cold and letting the pressure by till it warms up . Bushing are hte most common problem on the older max . There is one located on the trans where it hooks to the cable and one under the car ont he bottom of the shifter . CHeck them both esp if it goes into gear if you pull into a lower gear .
Haven't tried pulling it down to a lower gear, but I put the shifter
in drive and leave it there, then up to a minute later, the tranny
will engage and I'm on my way.

Like I mentioned, this only happens for the first trip of the day
(after the car has sat all night). The rest of the day the tranny
works fine...

I was thinking that the fluid was thickening up and not flowing
because the colder the weather is, the longer the delay.

I'll give the lower gear test a try tomorrow when I head to work.

Thanks!
Scott