1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Happy NEW Owner of a Maxima 2nd GEN!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 09:43 AM

Happy NEW Owner of a Maxima 2nd GEN!

How different are these models. I just recently bought a 2nd gen maxima..not sure what model it really is..sure its an GXE but not sure lol.Sun roof, eletric seat (you know the button no one can stop playing with lol) firm/auto shock button, auto, digi dash (which I really hate!..so far only the rpm guage works)..

Well anyway on with the questions...

Can I use any engine mods made for the 89 engine and place it on mine?

Now here are some other questions.

Concerning the digidash how easy is it to convert it to a regular guage?

I bought this car with a champange metallicpaint job , some major rust that i bondoed up.pretty good for my first time. It came with what looks like 16in rims. came with an aftermarket cd player which is a good cd player but the volume **** doesnt up or down the volume...jes turns lol..(by the way if ne one know n e good ways to fix this that would be cool). I opened this engine up a bit i liked the response and torque i got from it..for an auto lol. Im going to get an exhaust since the last moron who had it tinkered around with it and jes totally messed up the cat and down pipe..loser lol. so it sounds like my car is a pontiac or sumtin spittin. For some reason at high RPM my engine gives off a high scream like forced induction..but I havent found ne thing that would be such as a turbo or supercharger. Its not the exhaust because I took it apart the other day the only connection left is the down pipe. Im a little curious to what it is. Sounds hot though lol. Well ne way Im a happy owner of a nissan car (luv nissan) NISMO!

[I]
Old 04-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Blown

welcome....post some pics....
the 89 is a third gen, so I doubt it....a lot of stuff with our cars is custom.
about your radio you could try pulling the **** off and seeing if the teeth are stripped out on it. Just pull it off and try adjusting the volume with just the metal post that the **** goes on....if this does not work then I dont have a clue. And can you describe the whining better it could be a few things....goodluck with your max.
Carson
Old 04-26-2004, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by cardana24
welcome....post some pics....
the 89 is a third gen, so I doubt it....a lot of stuff with our cars is custom.
about your radio you could try pulling the **** off and seeing if the teeth are stripped out on it. Just pull it off and try adjusting the volume with just the metal post that the **** goes on....if this does not work then I dont have a clue. And can you describe the whining better it could be a few things....goodluck with your max.
Carson
Well, really dont know how i can explain this lol..but ill gve u a few characteristics.

Car is in park, I have to get it around 4500 or 5000 rpm to get a distinct whine and is noticable.

While driving when i floor it (rpm of course has to be around the same level as in park...and may be a bit louder) , it whines also.

Its not a withering whine, nor weak or even sound like an engine problem. It just sounds like its supposed to be there lol.

Ill have to upload a sound file so u guyz can have a look, also Ill get some pics.

Thnx
Old 04-26-2004, 07:23 AM
Blown

also something else I did not think of but if you have an aftermarket stereo and you are running an amp, you could have wires too close to eachother and they will pick up noise from the engine that will change its pitch according to the RPM's....just a though
Old 04-26-2004, 10:04 AM
I love lamp.

Yeah, if you have an aftermarket stereo, I would think the power lines are too close the RCA's. You will either need to relocate the RCA's or put a ground loop into them to get rid of the noise. The other thing is it could be your accessory belts maybe too tight.

As for fitting a 3rd gen VG, it will fit, you'd have to reuse things like your exhaust and intake manifolds, but it should go in without a hitch.

S
Old 04-27-2004, 03:51 AM

I dont have an amp..Ive ben around this car and havent found one. Good ideas though guyz, appreciate the help.