1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

What N/A mod adds the most power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Blown

What N/A mod adds the most power?

Just curious as to your opinions. I am wondering what N/A mod you guys feel has either added or free'd up the most power. I know all of these will probably be based on SOP dyno numbers but oh well, I am only looking for opinions.

So far I have a CAI and a Cat back exhaust. I feel I gained the most power with the CAI.

*and yes I know a lot of mods go together but I am just asking you to pick one.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:21 AM

I had been kicking around the idea of buying some o-rings from a NA 88 Z31. They would allow our injectors to spray more fuel. They cost like a dollar each. Ours run at a low DC. I think ours are like 180cc and with the O-rings from the Z31 its supposed to be 200 +. Not sure what a Z31 stock duty cycle is but since you got more air flow why not more fuel.

Also I think NOS would work really good. But thats just me, Im nutz!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Blown

I am wanting to know what would make power...not take it away and get worse gas mileage....and also no FI (which n20 qualifies as)
Old 09-15-2004, 11:49 AM

In the last post I forgot to mention the Ignition box mod. That would help curb some/most of the rich running. Iridium spark plugs too.

Well man unless you want to get some aggressive cams for the Z31 NA to maximize the mods you got. You could always lighten the internals(heads) do tons of engine work but im guessing you mean bolt ons. Other than that I think the exhaust is more for the high end power. My cars OD would kick in higher in the PB when I was at wot.

I say exhaust
Old 09-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Blown

I am looking for peoples opinions who have modifications. I know you can do tons of work on anything...I am not going for speculation. To make it easy I am talking about: ignition, intake, exhaust, underdrive pulley, TB, stuff like that.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:03 PM

My max has a 2.25" cat-back exhaust.
It definetly felt better on the freeway, and the throttle response was way better when I went WOT.

Sorry to speculate but as you know not many people mod these cars. You probably have more mods than 80% of the people here so you should tell us which mod made your car gain the most power.

Wait you already did that. So if you have more mods than anyone here why would you ask a question that hardly anyone could answer?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Blown

ok...this is becoming pointless. I have two 'power modifications'; intake and exhaust. I am asking for opinions...plenty of people have more mods than me.....someone may only have a few bux and can afford one mod, so I am tyring to see what people think...maybe it will help people in the future
Old 09-15-2004, 01:41 PM

Since you've done the CAI and the exhaust (did you install a
high flow CAT?), the next step would be your ignition and the
TB mod.

For my car, I'm not going to do the MSD setup, but I am going
to wire in an Accel Super coil in place of the stock one.

I have already replaced the wires with spiral core Accel Super
Stock wires (noticed crisper throttle response with improved
top end)(used the universal set with self crimp ends).

I run NGK V-Power plugs in my Max... some like the Bosch Platinums,
they help a non modded car some, but seem to break down in a mild
to heavily modded car. I tried them in my 74 Nova, but they kept
breaking down, in came the V-Powers and no more problems.

One thing that I did that help some (at least for starting issues)
is to replace the battery cables with a good set (not just your
local parts house variety). I also replaced the ground straps
as well... this made my car run more consistent, had a slight,
intermittant miss before... gone now!

I've also been looking into installing an aluminum radiator, or at
least a heavy duty one... trying to get the car to run cooler
without sacrificing heater temps too much come winter.

That's about all that I can think of right now without going internal.

Hope this helps!
Scott
Old 09-15-2004, 01:49 PM
I love lamp.

Originally Posted by Drjmaxx88
I had been kicking around the idea of buying some o-rings from a NA 88 Z31. They would allow our injectors to spray more fuel. They cost like a dollar each. Ours run at a low DC. I think ours are like 180cc and with the O-rings from the Z31 its supposed to be 200 +. Not sure what a Z31 stock duty cycle is but since you got more air flow why not more fuel.

Also I think NOS would work really good. But thats just me, Im nutz!
Can you explain to me how new o-rings make more fuel flow? I'm lost on that one.

Also....it's nitrous my fast and furious friend!

S
Old 09-15-2004, 01:59 PM
I love lamp.

Alright, time for me to post!

Best bang for the buck is intake and exhaust. Hands down. The stock intake just sucks monkey ***** because of the way it's routed. Makes the air path too long, and too many bends. As for the exhaust, we got an advantage not having a y-pipe, and using a crossover instead. However, the pre-cat, and cat is really restrictive. A cat-back will free up some power....but there is more to be seen with those 2 items removed and maybe going with a 2.25-2.5" pipe (my car is really quiet because of the stock cat, precat, and the fact it's all still stock piping...usually when your quiet, you got restriction, you don't have much power).

The mod that can get the most power out these motors are probably cams. Though you have to be careful how agressive you go or you affect driveablility.

The other mods you can do N/A is convert to 5-speed if your not already (since these cars aren't going to be faster than 10 seconds, 5-speed is going to be faster regardless). 60mm TB with matching port inlet on the IM, UDP (if you can find one), and lighten flywheel. Ignition products aren't very effective on these cars since they are pretty effective to being with, so you don't neccessarily need them. Advance timing to 24* BTDC is nice....if you can afford to run premium.

S
Old 09-15-2004, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Ignition products aren't very effective on these cars since they are pretty effective to being with, so you don't neccessarily need them. Advance timing to 24* BTDC is nice....if you can afford to run premium.
I still say to at least run the best wires that you can afford.

No need for MSD boxes on our cars (unless you've gone internal,
then more fire is nice!)

Better wires and better plugs have given me a better top end (no,
I haven't taken this car to the strip yet, but I have "let her loose"
on a back road once or twice! )

MSD boxes don't do a whole lot for stock internal engines except to
smooth out the idle and crispen the throttle response... when cams
are added with more lift and larger fuel pumps are added, then you
need the addition of a MSD box to light the fire.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Scott
Old 09-15-2004, 02:43 PM

the best steps would be
1/ street cams (dont eat gas only if u r punching it )
2/ cold air intake (with a fome air filter)
3/ 60mm t/b (240sx/stanza)
4/ 2.5 piping with a 3. cat
5/ msd ignition and for beter throtel responce(in the long run msd will save u gas cuzz it will burn the fule better)
6/ advance timeing to 24* btdc (if u can afor puting 91 all the time)
7/ 5 speed convertion (if u know how to drive stick)
Old 09-15-2004, 02:43 PM

I was pestering one of the guys from JWT awhile ago and he said that my cars injectors weren't even at 100% Duty cycle,and until they were then there was nothing for me at JWT. Did some digging on Z31.com and found out that our injectors are rated for more than 180cc. We have the same injectors as the N/A Z31 the only difference is the o-ring in the injectors. Besides im sure you heard of this from the turbo/suprecharged forum here. A couple months ago some asked about it and some people were saying how they've done this before(used larger o-rings) and had the injectors tested.

Also....Monkey *****?!

Im not fast just a little furious!
Old 09-15-2004, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Drjmaxx88

Im not fast just a little furious!

UGH LOL
Old 09-15-2004, 05:51 PM
I love lamp.

D...you live your life a quarter mile at a time huh?

S
Old 09-15-2004, 10:28 PM

best and free mods that will add power for sure:
1. lose the air box
2. completely remove catback
3. weight reduction
Old 09-16-2004, 02:28 AM

God only knows I've been trying to think of ways to reduce the weight on these cars. Times like this I wished that I lived back in the old rally racing days, where they just dipped the car's body into acid to eat away at its weight

Also, I pose a question to you guys: Is a CAI worth it for a auto? Or should I go with a high flow bolt-on?

Also!

What transmissions are compatable with the 87's? I'm looking into having my auto converted to a 5spd within the next year and a half.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:53 AM

Sure it is! Just because you have a slush box doesn't mean you can't have fun. Check my sig. It still made quite a difference, more power is more power, regardless of which tranny you have.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
D...you live your life a quarter mile at a time huh?

S

Actually its an eighth of a mile...my car wont make the quarter.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the info wylie. Thats a gorgeous car you're sporting too, love the wheels. What are they?

ALso, I assume a CAI install would be worthless with the default muffler/piping? (which I hope isn't the case, as I just had new piping installed last week)
Old 09-16-2004, 04:36 PM

Nah you don't need an exhaust. Of course it'll help, but anything to reduce the restrictive stock setup will def. help. Actually, unless you do something dumb like add a Tornado, it'll be hard to make the air intake system worse.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:54 PM

y dont u guys like the tornado?
Old 09-17-2004, 06:17 AM

Y3K, the rims are 16" Riken mesh, silver spokes with polished lip. You wouldn't necessarily have to swap out your whole exhaust to see some gains there, even just changing the muffler for one less restrictive should make a difference. My exhaust was a bit on the leaky side, the resonator and the muffler were full of holes, so I tossed them both and ran new pipe with a 40 series Flowmaster.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:46 PM

Read this:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=36255

Basically, it's something in the intake. You don't want things in the intake. You want smooth unabstructed flow. The claim that because it causes the air the flow in a spiral path says nothing. They say that rotating air moves faster. Ok, that's true....BUT...the reason it travels faster is because it HAS TO! The spiral path is longer so the air must move faster to go the same distance (think about how long a spring is if you straighten it out). On the infomercial they do a cool demo where they put two 2-liter bottles of soda together at the openning. When the dude turns it upside down, the water goes, "Glug-glug-glug" as air bubbles pass through the openning. Then, miraculously, he spins the bottles to get the water spinning. "Wow, that's neat! It's going in a funnel!" Ok, but notice how slow the water passes through. Anyway, that demo is irrevelent. If you want to know why, ask me. Besides, there are so many twists in the intake that I'm sure the spiralling air is disrupted anyway. Look at it like this: if it really added power, wouldn't manufacturers include them stock???

If you still don't believe me, buy one and see for yourself.
Sorry the reply is long, but you did ask.