1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Air intake questions for you all or Sarin.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 09:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Air intake questions for you all or Sarin.....

Hello guys,

It's been quite some time since I posted for assistance in regards to my first car, which is a 1987 Nissan Maxima. The car is running adequately can't complain thanks to everyone's extensive help. I have the day off today and wanted to perform the popular "Cone filter mod" to my car. I'm not happy with the knock off drop in panel air filter I put in there. So, today either I'm going to put in the a K&N drop in air filter or remove my air box and add a cone filter. However, I'm still becoming aquatinted with the car world so go easy on me and if you do use some shorthand terms please explain what they mean. I found this picture on a maxima owner's website:

I would like to do the same thing today, and from a local parts store. Now, I've heard of an individual named "Sarin" seems to be one of the top Maxima gurus here, maybe I could get some questions answered from him?

So far, all I need is:

Cone filter - how do you determine which type? (locally please)
MAF adapter - where can you get this locally? or can I make one.....

I'd be deeply grateful if you guys can list some ideas/suggestions, I don't want a Cold Intake system yet, I just want to go with this simple cone mod.

I already called the dealer regarding this, but they gave me the cold shoulder as if to discourage me from performing this mod. However, this is my car and I will do what I desire with it.

And what happens to the vacum line that hooks up to the box? Does it need to be removed?

Any ideas suggestions would be great!

- Best Regards,
- David Steele
- Take Care
Old 09-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Blown

this is the set up I currently have on my (ex) 87. You are right. All you need is to pull the factory air box out, and put a MAF adaptor on the end of the MAF and then stick a cone filter on there. I know that the Auto Zone here stocks the MAF adaptors if you are in a hurry to do it today, but you will need to take your maf in and make sure it will fit or you may need to drill it out since the ones they sell are plastic. As for a filter just get one that is no bigger than the one pictured and that has a three inch opening, you can also pick up one of these open element filters at you local advanced or auto zone.
If you feel like waiting a few days you can get this off ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/87-91...QQcmdZViewItem

^^ just type in 1987 maxima on ebay motors and you will have several to choose from. I recomend getting one that has the metal MAF adaptor because it will hold up better. The plastic ones break easly...I know because I just put one on my new fouth gen and it is all cracked up around the bolt holes. Anyway good luck...this is an easy mod. With this set up you will not notice much of a change over stock as far as power or sound.

oh yeah, sarin does not know what he is talking about
Old 09-09-2005, 10:38 AM

Dear cardana24,

You've helped me so much, I don't know what to say but to be deeply grateful. I have a few questions. If I do find a MAF metal adapter, all I need to know is that the cone filter needs to have a 3" opening? Is it possible then to get a K&N cone filter? If so, which one would you recommend or which one would work better for our cars? And about the vacuum hose that is leading into the air box from the right side, do I just leave it there?

I'm going to try Auto Zone, OReailly auto parts, pep boys, napa, etc.

Thank you so much!

- Best Regards,
- David Steele
- Take Care
Old 09-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Blown

The filter that comes with most intakes will work. You can get a K&N, and that is what I would recomend since they are proven, but they do cost a bit more than other filters. When I had the set up you are talking about I just used an ebay filter. You can buy one that looks like the one in the picture you posted (that looks like Sarin's engine bay) Also I am not familiar with what vacuum hose you are talking about...I think the longest I have every had a stock air box on one of my cars is about half a day. If you have a pic I can probably tell you, or else tell me where it goes from the air box. Good luck and thanks for the love letter Also alot of what I am saying will be more obvious if you just start pulling suff out (read: airbox)
Old 09-09-2005, 12:03 PM

wut kind of gains do u see from this kind of intake...is this intake similar to a CAI?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:10 PM
I love lamp.

lol, Carson....Right!

Anyway, the hose that is connected to the box is the intake for the AIV. You can cut the hose down and put a breather on the end.

As far as gains, cone filters will give you a little more power...but the benefits only work when temperatures are down in the engine bay (meaning cold mornings, or if you been driving with constant airflow in the engine bay). It'll heat soak like a ****. Personally I think a CAI is the best bang for the buck. You get the extra umph most of the time (well unless you've been in traffic for a longtime and the CAI piping heats up really hot). The gains aren't huge mind you, but 5-8hp is achieveable.

S
Old 09-09-2005, 03:15 PM

Dear posters,

Thanks for everyone's replies. Here is where I stand today, down the road I may get a CAI kit or build one. But, for now, today, since I'm off work and have the money. I'd either like to A. drop in a K&N air filter that's $67.00 and the performance, sound, fuel economy is guaranteed. Or, B. Take the airbox out, purchase an MAF adapter and get a 24.99 air filter cone that is a no name brand. So, what do you all suggest that I do today, I really want the cone filter, however I'd like a K&n cone filter could someone please tell me which one would be compatible for this small modification. Can I purchase any K&N cone filter that is 3" that's tapered so long as it's 3" or what?

I provided pictures to point out what an issues I have that I was trying to explain. If I do take out the air box, what happens to that vacuum? Do I remove it or just plug?

The vacuum I'm speaking of is circled in red.

I'll be here waiting for a response, as soon I get one, I'll go purchase the parts needed.

Thanks again guys, I wish some of you lived near me, we would have had some BBQ and refreshments and had a fun time.

- Best Regards,
- David Steele
- Take Care
Old 09-09-2005, 03:30 PM
I love lamp.

That item you circle just connects the duct in the fender to the air duct, nothing more. 3" cone filter should work fine. You might have to work it in, but it'll work.

S
Old 09-09-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
That item you circle just connects the duct in the fender to the air duct, nothing more. 3" cone filter should work fine. You might have to work it in, but it'll work.

S
Thank for replying Sarin,

One more question, when I opened the air box, there's a small tube that goes into the air box and back to this sliver looking device, what do I do with that disconnected tube? Here's a picture:

No one mentioned anything about this tube, once I remove the air box, the tube will just sit there on top of the cone, or do you buy a small cone for that tubing as well?

- Best Regards,
- David Steele
- Take Care
Old 09-10-2005, 11:33 AM
I love lamp.

I did mention about this tube. You can either remove it and place a breather on the end, or put a breather at the end of the tube.

S
Old 09-12-2005, 10:56 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

you can do that it works or you can do this......

put in a 300zx ecu and maf same year and same tranny option. that way you wont need the adapter and tell me if you feel a diff in the engine with the ecu slap on a filter i got mines from walmart until i can find a nismo one and your good to go i aint got no problems yet from the walmart one it was 15 bucks in the ricer section.....

btw......what is that blu wire for around the battery looks dangerous..
Old 09-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Looks like his homemade battery tie down made from a metal coat hanger. Im just taking a stab in the dark though.