1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Look what I got!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 10:00 AM

Look what I got!!!

I traded my 1986 Honda CRX DX yesterday for my AE86.

Pics of the AE86

And this is all you will see.....

(When you pass me because I drive slow and baby this car lol)

As you notice someone did the Initial D paint job on it already lol
138k on engine. Runs ok, needs some work some moron took the dash out for less weight along with the windsheild wipers. It has MR2 Seats and a Momo steering wheel. Now I have the best of all worlds, luxury and power (1987 Nissan Maxima V6 5speed) Economy fwd with fun to drive characteristics (1987 Honda CRX Si) and my dream car.. 1986 AE86 5speed.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:04 AM

Old 11-02-2005, 10:42 AM

where's yer gad damned maxima?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:53 AM

i had a 87 crx si. it had exhaust, so it probably had at least 80 hp!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by myles
i had a 87 crx si. it had exhaust, so it probably had at least 80 hp!!!
lol, I ran my friend in my old maxima vs my dx crx and i beat it to 60 but after that he gained 1 car length by 80. My 87 maxima is at my friends house in the backyard, cant afford to put a clutch in it right now, plus an alt. oh and the drivers side door wont open so i have to crawl around. The 86 maxima I sold has recently broken down not sure the cause. Im not planing on fixing the clutch till the summer since its the only car with a/c. No need to fix it now and waste gas. AE86 gets 29mpg , CRX Si gets 35-38mpg. Every time I think about selling one the forums go crazy. CRX NOOOO (redpepperracing.com) and here Maxima.org lol.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:31 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

screw babyin it, mot that ****!!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I love lamp.

My dad had an 85 CRX. They definately are quick cars...you gotta remember they are really light. You don't need to put much horsepower on them to make them fast. Usually in my case, most of the CRX's I've gone against in my 86SE immediately fall back 3-4 car length...and I then slowly walk away...mainly probably because I have a 5-speed. There is one nice 91 crx out here though that can pull me....but the guy has some money into it.

S
Old 11-02-2005, 09:35 PM

crx's being fast? you guys must live in some strange places, no crx here is faast, most likely weighed down by horrible junk yard bodymods and putting coffee can exhaust on them and losing back pressure to drop the horse power to 50hp

i have to say though theres an 85-86 green custom painted + design maxima wrround here, body kit, wheels, interior....but i dont have a digital camera and when i take my friend along who has one i can never find it....alot of money went into it
Old 11-02-2005, 11:28 PM

BACK PRESSURE.........WTF.............

Ahhh you may find this surprising but "back pressure" or restriction kills HP

dont believe it, its a myth

Why spen a heap of cash on a set of headers that are designed to suck and scavenge exhaust gasses only to have it held up by a restrictive exhaust system

An engine is a pump right? what happens if you force your hand over your tail pipe?

Your engine stops due to the exessive restriction "back pressure" the engine has to pump out the gasses, the more restrictive the exit the harder the engine has to pump
Old 11-03-2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by 87Legranman
BACK PRESSURE.........WTF.............

Ahhh you may find this surprising but "back pressure" or restriction kills HP

dont believe it, its a myth

Why spen a heap of cash on a set of headers that are designed to suck and scavenge exhaust gasses only to have it held up by a restrictive exhaust system

An engine is a pump right? what happens if you force your hand over your tail pipe?

Your engine stops due to the exessive restriction "back pressure" the engine has to pump out the gasses, the more restrictive the exit the harder the engine has to pump
your half right. Exhaust mostly depends on the velocity, the speed of the exhaust moving out. If you have a straight exaust, say one or two bends vs the factory 5+bends with the proper size exhaust pipe + high flow... may it be a coffee can or a magnaflow it will increase power and you will not lose as much on low end torque, although you will still lose some, but gain on top end.

CRX's are not all "slow". Its mostly the driver sucks ***. Alot of noobs drivin rex's Ive found. I'm by no means a professional race driver, but Ive gone to the track over 15 times so i have some experience. My 1986 CRX DX (at the crank brand new from the factory made 76hp... mine dynoed with 54.3whp) ran against a 1990 crx si (108 new engine crank hp) and had it out a car and a half. Ran a 90 hatch std (lightest trim, fully gutted) w/92hp crank and wooped him by 3 car lengths. and my favorite... 1987 crx si w vs my dx and i beat him. My Maxima could not hang with my friends acura integra (mods=i/h/e) but my crx dx would stay with him till 50. The crx's main draw back is poor top end. If you want to have a chance at one go for high speed. Here in Houston 60% of the coffee can crx's have swaped engines.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:59 AM

Yeah i wasnt going to get too indepth with exhaust theory
may start to confuse people

Got any good tips on increasing gas velocity?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:52 AM

Yeah i wasnt going to get too indepth with exhaust theory
may start to confuse people

Got any good tips on increasing gas velocity?
Less amount of bends. With the Maxima, its very difficult with the V6 set up because the exhaust has to turn alot even in the exhaust manifolds to get down finally (Its not too hard with a 300z because of rwd). Basicly run your cat mount a inline glasspack and have one bend if possible from the manifold, one to turn it to the side and run the tip just infront of the tire. I have never been able to tell the diffrence between a catback and stock exhaust besides the noise, theres so much hype about exhaust (4bangers, never modded exhaust on v6 or larger), intake on the other hand you can feel slightly. Imo a boosted Maxima will be the ticket or a swaped engine with a 4th gen, if its possible (not if you can do it but if its been done and it isnt extremly challenging).

A guy told me this when I first went to the track, telling him I needed more mods.

The best mod you can do to a completly stock car is to learn how to drive it.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:17 PM
I love lamp.

Ding ding ding! Bingo! People never seem to understand that. This is why some idiot with a corvette not having a clue how to drive can get beat by a guy in some beatup geo metro that knows how to drive (though I'm not saying this actually happened).

S
Old 11-03-2005, 03:30 PM

ever see a honda do the quarter-mile?

there's a reason it's called "minute rice".

sorry, I had to throw that in there. my sentra comes stock with 115 hp (at least I'm pretty sure) and the GA16DE sentra engine responds better to modifications than any honda. and even though honda advertises their "vtec", the GA16DE has it too, but nissan didn't feel it necessary to paint it all over the car to make it sell to stupid kids. it's a dohc motor and I must add... a quick little thing for being a 1.6. of course, I'd RATHER have an SR20. but I'm happy with the 45 mpg my little sentra gets.

http://www.sentra.net/tech/garage/en...tion%20systems

yes, I do realize this is a maxima forum.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:20 PM
I love lamp.

Actually I've seen several honda's do the quarter mile....and they can come back with impressive numbers...albeit a lot of the faster ones tend to be stripped down to nothing but not all (example: Preludes, RSX's, Integra's)...I've seen quite a few get into the 13-14 second range. So I'd give a honda a little more credit than that. Now this doesn't mean I'm a honda guy....the only honda products I'd ever drive is the TL or RL personally.

S
Old 11-03-2005, 06:53 PM

I'd like to point out that "backpressure" is actually a misnomer. "Delta pressure" is a more appropriate term (change in pressure given a change in cross-sectional area).
Old 11-03-2005, 09:37 PM

Delta pressure
Isnt that the term used for measuring a pressure wave
Old 11-03-2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Ding ding ding! Bingo! People never seem to understand that. This is why some idiot with a corvette not having a clue how to drive can get beat by a guy in some beatup geo metro that knows how to drive (though I'm not saying this actually happened).

S

acually lets say they both knew how to drive and the geo is a 3 cylindar it might have a chance if hes got a t4 on the geo....they go fast with one on but they usually only go for one run
Old 11-04-2005, 05:30 AM

Actually, those little 3 bangers can be fun. Back in '90, my buddy had an '88 Turbo Sprint with a 2 1/2 exhaust, filter, BOV, adjustable wastegate, and lowered on 13" Riken mesh from a 510 sporting 215/50-13 BFG's. Stock boost was 6 psi, but it took 15 with no complaints and did it for a few years. Lemme tell ya, that was one hell of a fast car, never lost to a Honda and even beat a TT 300ZX once. Of course this is stoplight to stoplight drags, the top speed still sucked, but it was fun telling people to keep their hands on the dashboard ( you couldn't, it pulled that hard! ). It was making about 150 hp versus the 80 it had stock.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:18 PM

I woulda kept the crx. Man I love those cars. Do a b16a swap and they freakin COOK!
Old 11-09-2005, 10:17 AM

Delta pressure
Isnt that the term used for measuring a pressure wave
Delta pressure is used to find a pressure difference between two points measured by a change in either a change in cross-sectional area, density, or velocity.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:19 PM

those b16s are pretty wicked. they have the same hp as our maximas but are only a 1.6 liter...
Old 11-09-2005, 05:34 PM
I love lamp.

Yeah they can, but you're looking at two entirely different way of breathing. b16 is a twin cam, where the VG30E in the 2nd gen is a single cam. Now let's say you compare to a dual cam VG30DE, now you talking about a motor that makes roughly 220+hp. That is changing the breathing alone. Still that's an apples and oranges comparison regardless of how you look at it.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:45 AM

crx's blow, good trade!

also get the maxima fixed, youll sleep better at night,
Old 11-11-2005, 10:10 AM

Does getting this have to do more with the image of having a hachi-roku now that drifting has made it hot, or is that you liked the car before drifting got going?

I really can't understand why someone would trade you a 86 for a CRX. While, yes, the CRX is desirable, the 86 is even more so, and is looking to go up in value. I would suggest you just drive it and not drift it (and damage it), and in a few years sell it for much more than you paid. It is no secret the prices of the 86 these days (you would have had to have been on the moon not to know), and where they are going all because of drift and "Initial D" (the 86 is not the best drift car, it's good, but not the best).