1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Fuel pump? New tires in front or back? Heater fan? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 07:57 PM

Fuel pump? New tires in front or back? Heater fan? HELP!

So I just got my maxima. She is pretty sweet. She is an all white 1987 and I don't know if its a gx or gle or whatever. She has 214k miles on her but that is ok. She came with two little books filled with tons of maintnence and repairs. Not to say she doesn't have her quirks. And thats why I am here to try to work them out.

So here are the questions I have. My heater fan doesn't turn on. Now my dad told me that his 87 sentra had the same problem and it wasn't the fan itself that was the problem. It was a resistor on the fan that needed to be replaced. Is that common? I checked the fuse in the car for it and it looked good. I was also wondering if the blower motor relay located next to the battery under the hood was for my aux fan or for something else. And how could I test it?

When I bought it the front tires were bald. Really bald. So I went and got a couple tires at good ol les schwab. Now my dad was helping me so he put the new tires on the back. I thought it was kinda weird. Should I put the new ones on the front?

As I have said in a couple of threads here their is the sound of a dieing pig coming from somewhere in the rear end when the car is running. The sounds gets louder if I rev the engine. Now I am like 90% sure it is the fuel pump but I find it kind of weird that it revs with the engine. Could it be something in the exhaust? It kinda goes away after you run it for a while. I am just going to put a fuel filter in it and then drive it till it stops working.

Another thing is my lights. The headlights don't seem really bright. Even with the brights on it seems kind of dim. Battery leads are good and it has had a new battery and alternator recently. Voltage readout on the dash doesnt go up or down while reving and the lights dont seem to get brighter while reving either. Also my reverse lights dont work and neither do the lights that are suppose to come on when you are using the turn signals. Checked all fuses. Could this also be another one of those pesky relays next to the battery?

Also their is a couple of cables cut next to the battery. They are a fairly large gage and they are green and black. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:35 PM

My side turn lights stoped working and I just tapped the relay and they started working again.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:49 PM

Actually you're safer with the bald tires on the front. Just keep a bigger following distance especially in the rain and bad wetter. If you had the bald tires on the back, you'd be more prone to oversteer especially in the rain and snow. Bald tires hydroplane really easily. Understeer is easier to handle rather then the car oversteering when you don't want it to.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:21 AM

I would think your dieing pig noise would be exhaust if it went up and down with the revs? I dont know, Im trying to imagine a dying pig...
Old 11-08-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Slider
Actually you're safer with the bald tires on the front. Just keep a bigger following distance especially in the rain and bad wetter. If you had the bald tires on the back, you'd be more prone to oversteer especially in the rain and snow. Bald tires hydroplane really easily. Understeer is easier to handle rather then the car oversteering when you don't want it to.
Well I bought 2 new tires so none of them are actually bald anymore. Just slightly worn. Just wondering if I should put the newest ones on the front.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:27 PM

The tire shop has allways tolled e to put the tires with the most tred up front. The fuel pump would speed up with the engine in order to suply the amount of fuel needed, the engine is using more so the pump pumps more.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:42 AM

Anyone know what the color codes are for the stereo? Some tard cut the harness out of my car so now I need to figure them out before I hook up the new deck.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:57 PM

oh sheesh umm....i would go to the junk yard and cut off some other tards harness

and as for the heater fan, turn the a/c (a/c causes all fans to kick on) on and turn the fan all the way up and then jiggle the cabe going to the fan
Old 11-09-2005, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Niku-Sama
oh sheesh umm....i would go to the junk yard and cut off some other tards harness

and as for the heater fan, turn the a/c (a/c causes all fans to kick on) on and turn the fan all the way up and then jiggle the cabe going to the fan
I figured out the stereo and then I tried your suggestion about the heater. No dice. I did notice that the ac light flickered as I toggled the fan switch between high and low. So I am wondering if maybe the fan is seized. I will tear into the ***** tomarrow and figure out the problem.