1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

starter?? no power at all in car

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 07:09 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

starter?? no power at all in car

well i started the car with a battry that had only 10 volts the car did run , but i think the starter never stoped spinning and i cut the car off only to hear a pop and no voltage in the car at all, i checked fuses and sort nothing is blown i un hooked the started and still no voltage in car. i cant find anywhere with bad electriacl . nothign is burnt, im going to get a new starter but i done know think it will solve anything

could the battry be bad??? ive alwyase had a problem with acid it is everywhere , thats why i got a new battry tray but the starter has had it also
Old 11-12-2005, 09:39 AM

buy a new battery to start with, it sounds like it needs replacing. did you check the fusible links? from memory, i think they're in a small box near the battery
Old 11-12-2005, 10:44 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

i figured it out, it was the darn termnal its not good, somehow it wasent making a connection. it is running now and seems to be getting there, heres the problems as of now (LOL)

cooling, runs a little hot, fans do turn on but they done stay on very long. just now i ran the car ideling for about 20 min with radiator cap off, i think there was a air bubble in the system. i did notice the lvl of coolent passing by the opening did drop a little . so im thinking thats solved

second ideling it ideles at 1500 rpm i thought it was the air regulator but even when the motor is hot it still idels at 1500, isent the air regulator for cold?? if not that that might be it. also it could be the throttle pesion sensor, i got a new plug but its still not making a good connection

also i tryed the timming tis at about 20 degrees and changes from 15to like 25 depending on fans ac n stuff. also the distributer has to be furthere left that normail i think, it was at like 30 before i turned it

some kinda noise idk a guy told me it could be the timming belt tensioner but i spun it and it wasent to fast or to tight.

it has a tic tic idk what it is it got worse after the new tbelt. im going to change the oil tommorow im thinking its that

so i got to go to work now but tommorow ill have 1/2 the day, so replay telling me stuff to do and what not

if i run out of things to do im going to take it to a mechanic , he will prob wont to put a tbelt tensionere in it.

IM GETTING THERE !!!!!!!!!!!

very slowely
Old 11-12-2005, 10:09 PM

idle with mine (or was) 1200rpm and then kicked down to an even 1000rpm, there is an adjustment on the topleft part of the intake manifold...its in this werid looking chunk of parts, manual would be able to tell you more
Old 11-13-2005, 06:33 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

ya thats the idle speed controle, i turned it allmost shut to get rpm down but it should not be like that

ima try to find some plugs for my air regulator today
Old 11-13-2005, 12:12 PM

check for any vacuum leaks. that'll often make the engine idle higher than normal
Old 11-13-2005, 02:08 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

ya i got to get the bccd and the cruise controle hooked up

im really worried about my t belt tensioner i think thats what is so loud, ahh my dumba** left the old one there.
Old 11-13-2005, 03:55 PM

yeah, it always pays to replace things like the tensioners while you're in there with everything apart. saves time and money in the long run if things go wrong. i'd pull it all apart again and check everything really carefully...make sure everything is aligned properly and the belt hasn't been rubbing on anything.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:06 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

ya, but ima talk to some guy that is soposidly the nissan dude. i might get him to do it if it isent to costly, im prob going to get him atleast to firure the vacuum hoses and other stuff, im so fen tired of it.

but on the good note i got my mudflaps on (3 of 4) they look good, also i got 1 clear lense foe the door, and a blue light, it looks good i just need 3 more lenses, (i happen to find 1 in a 300zx) i know sarin has them idk if he has all 4 though

im telling you when im done, there is going to be a list of like 40 things ive done, so far i got like 30 done, and its been 2 months down
Old 11-14-2005, 08:57 AM
Blown

make sure you did not lean on your throttle cable when you were doing an oil change. If you follow it back to where it goes to the "black box" it could be pulled out a little right there. I know about this because i used to do it all the time. If it is pulled out a little just take the cable and push it back towards the "black box"
Old 11-14-2005, 06:35 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

thanks man but its not that , ive HAD THAT HAPPEN BEFORE, it ran at ike 3500 with that though
Old 11-14-2005, 09:09 PM

speaking of idle speed... Ill just be sitting at a stop light and mine will go up and down between like 1 and 2 grand. vaccum leak? what vaccum tubes leak commonly?
I dont really care, im just sick of honda civics thinking I want to race when im not even revving on purpose
Old 11-15-2005, 06:10 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

UPdate , i talked to "the nissan guy" he has 1 2ed gen and 1 3rd and some trucks and other nissans. he has a 2 bay garage with 2 lifts. anyway, he looked at my car and said it sounded fine, then i told him about new t belt and he said i was prob off 1 notch on the cam, considering the rear cam is what i thought i messes up on so ya,
he also said he woulten worry about he said most of them sound like that, and im like naw man, then i told him how its running a little hot and he said all he would fix is the cooling problem. i got the idle down and you can hear the oful noise of the cam valves or something ITS BAD. so im going to take it all back out get a new tensioner and mabey a new t belt and get it right.

also i rember seeing someone on here say the same basic prob i have , new t belt running hot, the boom, idk who.

so im hoping i can save it, but idk my valves might be bent or something if they are ill get head(s) somewhere and also get the mani studs fixed

idk if im going to drive it tommorow , but i did drive it all day today

for some reason i coulda swore i had the cams right , but idk the back cam is hard to get to and see, i hope i pull it apart and its off time.

thanks for reading this crap i call senentces. sorry i can talk and think but not get it written

-SurraTT

hopefully my max ia 100%%%%%%%% SOON!!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:28 PM

you'd definitely know if your valves were bent. it'd either not run at all or run really bad
Old 11-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SurraTT
UPdate , i talked to "the nissan guy" he has 1 2ed gen and 1 3rd and some trucks and other nissans. he has a 2 bay garage with 2 lifts. anyway, he looked at my car and said it sounded fine, then i told him about new t belt and he said i was prob off 1 notch on the cam, considering the rear cam is what i thought i messes up on so ya,
he also said he woulten worry about he said most of them sound like that, and im like naw man, then i told him how its running a little hot and he said all he would fix is the cooling problem. i got the idle down and you can hear the oful noise of the cam valves or something ITS BAD. so im going to take it all back out get a new tensioner and mabey a new t belt and get it right.

also i rember seeing someone on here say the same basic prob i have , new t belt running hot, the boom, idk who.

so im hoping i can save it, but idk my valves might be bent or something if they are ill get head(s) somewhere and also get the mani studs fixed

idk if im going to drive it tommorow , but i did drive it all day today

for some reason i coulda swore i had the cams right , but idk the back cam is hard to get to and see, i hope i pull it apart and its off time.

thanks for reading this crap i call senentces. sorry i can talk and think but not get it written

-SurraTT

hopefully my max ia 100%%%%%%%% SOON!!!!
Hi SurraTT,

While you're taking all those parts off, would you please take a few pictures of everything out? Since I'll be doing my timing belt soon I'd like to know how much room I get between the fender wall and the timing belt cover.

I don't know why anyone hasn't taken any pictures of a timing belt job on a VG30E engine, is that something not allowed here at maxima.org? I don't understand the reasoning behind that.

In any event, it'd greatly helpful to me and others if you take as many pics as you can SurraTT, I'm going to document everthing I do when I do my timing belt job for those who want to get an idea or are lost.

Thank you.

- Best Regards,
- David Steele
- Take Care
Old 11-16-2005, 03:54 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

pics lolo, ive got like 1000 pics of my clutch job t belt job waterpump lol so many, i just havent shwed anyone yet. ill take more this time of new tensione.

im glad i can help people out cuz i hope what happend to me dosent happen to aynone else.

ive figured it out my cam has to be off, because the distributer has to be turned way back to get the timming to 20 degress
Old 11-16-2005, 12:56 PM

pics lolo, ive got like 1000 pics of my clutch job t belt job waterpump lol so many, i just havent shwed anyone yet. ill take more this time of new tensione.

im glad i can help people out cuz i hope what happend to me dosent happen to aynone else.

ive figured it out my cam has to be off, because the distributer has to be turned way back to get the timming to 20 degress
Will you be able to post the pictures today? I have extra server space if you need it.

Let me know.

- Best Regards,
- David Steele
- Take Care
Old 11-16-2005, 04:06 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

ya i can post them all , how much space you got its prob around 100 meg idk

what kinda server you got, can i log on and upload them??

what ones do you wont, i got clutch ones also
Old 11-16-2005, 04:08 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

well today i went and got a tbelt tensioner $50 for beck arnley, $70 from nissan, i got the nissan one, felt better, i also got another tbelt (just incase myne is meaaes up0 it was only $14 for the goodyear gatorback, so thats a great deal

im planning to put the new tbelt and tensioner on saterday, but its turnning way cold here. hopefully that cam will be right this time fellas, im excited to mabey get it right
Old 11-16-2005, 04:37 PM

ya i can post them all , how much space you got its prob around 100 meg idk

what kinda server you got, can i log on and upload them??

what ones do you wont, i got clutch ones also
I have my own domain and server (I web design as a hobby). Yes, that'd be great if you could upload everything, I have plenty of space and more to spare. Also, if you ever need help with your website for your maxima, feel free to ask me; on a further note, we both have identical maximas.

I'll send you a PM with the information.

- Best Regards,
- David Steele
- Take Care
Old 11-16-2005, 04:55 PM

SurraTT, I sent you a pm, check your inbox.

- Best Regards,
- David Steele
- Take Care
Old 11-19-2005, 07:43 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

well today, i put the new tensioner in and new t belt, i think i was off 1 nothc on the rear cam, it sounds so much better now. but now, when im crusing and i m at like 1500 rp then i floor it the lifters click badd, but they only click when the car is under HEavy load oil is fine

i dont rember them clicking before
Old 11-20-2005, 04:27 AM

Clicking under load? It could be your timing is too advanced and you're hearing pinging. Try backing off on the timing and see if it helps.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:36 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

oh good thinking, thanks