1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

Coolant gushing out, disaster has finally struck, help me....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Coolant gushing out, disaster has finally struck, help me....

Hey Guys,

Have the day off today and came across my first heartache. I put the car on jack stands and turned it on and I heard a very loud scratching sound from where the water pump is located and noticed the upper radiator hose coming from the thermostat house was leaking, there's a small crack in the hose that has formed and it's leaking from there and 5 minutes into the car being on it starts to leak faster and coolant gushes out and hits my drive belts and then spills on the floor.

Now, I'm standing there, almost in tears, I don't have any funds I can use, no tools, what to do?

My first guess, is the crack in the hose where the coolant is leaking is causing the cooling system to lose pressure and thus the water pump is making this scratching whirling sound?

OR

Is the water pump failing? Luckily, I have one here that I haven't used, but is there time for me to do it tonight? Should I put a new water pump on? or buy a new radiator hose and put that on see if that works?

Please Guys I need everyone's input, I need the car tomorrow for work, and I'm limited on time.

It's 7pm central time here in Texas, let me know what you all think I should do, in the mean time I'm going to try and run the car once more and verify the issue.

Thanks Guys.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:16 PM

i'd put the new water pump on too. better to be safe than sorry, but if you just need to get the thing running temporarily, it'd be ok to just put a new hose on and refill the cooling system. just make sure you bleed the air out properly when you refill the coolant. i think it tells you how to do it in the owners manual.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:56 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

ya try the hose for now, a new wp will take a while
Old 12-03-2005, 12:13 AM

the hose is an easy fix with a philips screw driver (or standard if the hose clapms were changed) and a new hose.

waterpump is well.....you take alot apart and i get to do that this weekend....and if i get it apart and i find the friggin pump is leaking any where other than from the seal i am yanking it out and smashing the ever living **** out of it because this god damned part has caused me so many friggin problems