1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

S.M.J ECU Connector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 05:33 PM

S.M.J ECU Connector?

I have the Chilton repair manual for the 1985-1992 Maximas. In it it says to test various connections on the "SMJ ECU Connector" on many of the tests. From the picture of where they say it is, I don't see it in my car. I know where the ECU is (under the passenger seat) but the pictures of the connector don't match up to the connectors in the ECU. Is the Chilton just wrong or is the SMJ Connector hiding?

And to throw it out there, my car started acting funny a couple weeks ago in which I had to actually give it gas when I was stopped to prevent it from dying. The ECU says my Engine Temp Circuit is bad, but I did replace the Sensor and Harness just a couple years ago. Do they really go bad that quick, or could there be another issue causing my car to act funny. Also if anyone has the resistances the sensors are supposed to read when the engine is warmed up, that would be great too, since for temporary I could put a resistor of that amount in the harness to see what happens.

Any help would be great, thanks.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:16 PM

As far as I know, They didnt start putting those connectors for external diagnostic devices on the cars till the 90's. So it's likely you dont have one in your second gen. I believe my friends 3rd gen has one, but I have never seen on on my 85 max. If you had to give it some gas to prevent it from stalling, it's probably your MAFS or an O2 sensor, there are a few other things too. I don't think the engine heat sensor would be causing this problem. Even if you try putting a resistor on there, you need to make sure it's the right value for the ECU to think it's that sensor. (uggh... i hate ecu's and sensors.. what ever happened to carbeurated engines that don't have a fit if one tiny thing is wrong.)
Old 07-12-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by neo_densetsu
As far as I know, They didnt start putting those connectors for external diagnostic devices on the cars till the 90's. So it's likely you dont have one in your second gen. I believe my friends 3rd gen has one, but I have never seen on on my 85 max. If you had to give it some gas to prevent it from stalling, it's probably your MAFS or an O2 sensor, there are a few other things too. I don't think the engine heat sensor would be causing this problem. Even if you try putting a resistor on there, you need to make sure it's the right value for the ECU to think it's that sensor. (uggh... i hate ecu's and sensors.. what ever happened to carbeurated engines that don't have a fit if one tiny thing is wrong.)
i used to think that as well, until I went to a place to get a diagnostic done on my car. They pulled some connector from under the dash and connected their handheld diagnostic to it. that is how I found out that I had a leak in my fuel injector #3. I saw them connect it to their machine. the only problem is, I forget exactly where it is under the dash.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 PM

it should be under the dash around where the fuses are. i think from memory it's a blue connector...but i'm not 100% sure on that
Old 07-13-2006, 01:15 PM

I rummaged around under my steering column area and found some large connectors that I am assuming is the SMJ Connector. I tried to get it out, but it is so crammed in there I wasn't able to. It seems it would be easy to get to it if I take off my dash cover and pull some of the wires away from the connector, which I will try today. The thing that confused me is the Chilton said it was located behind our center console.

Also I won't what diagnostic tool the shop hooked your connector up to and if it detects stuff that the ECU does not.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:39 AM
I love lamp.

the SMJ is going to be a PITA to get to. You might need to dissassemble some of the lower dash to get to it better.

S