1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

car finally fixed......hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 07:50 PM

car finally fixed......hopefully

My father and I finished fixing the many problems the max had. We changed the front and rear motor mounts(both shot to hell) and both transmission mounts(in better condition but still needed changing). Did the timing belt job, with crankshaft and camshaft seals, new water pump. Incidentally I had to get a new crankshaft sprocket due to the fact that the people who changed the engine for the previous owner did not change the crank seal nor the sprocket. We found this out because it was EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to remove the sprocket. The sprocket itself was rusted in place, and DW-40 did very little to help it be removed. After a day and a half (didn't want to damage the crankshaft so we took our time) of trying to remove it(and breaking off many of the sprocket teeth) he finally decided to take a saws-all and saw through it so it can loosen a bit to be removed. That did it and we were able to remove the sprocket, and change the crankshaft seal(a miracle it wasn't leaking).

We removed the transmission as well due to a leaking rear main seal, which makes a seal between the torque converter and the engine, and we replaced the axle seals. After that we replaced the whole fuel rail with injectors to see if the injectors were the problem. After the whole hassle of removing the intake manifold and vaccuum lines, injectors, and putting it back together we find that the injectors we put in weren't firing, NOT ONE. So we removed everything again and tested the old injectors and all fired so we put them in. At that time my dad noticed that there were many cracked lines on the intake manifold that my car already had, and that some of the parts on the intake were rusted all the way to the inside(little metal egr looking valves on that big plastic resonator or whatever it is close to the engine for the intake).

After seeing that we decided to replace the whole upper intake manifold, the whole shabbang. Since we had 2 replacements there we removed one from a spare engine we have and installed it(from an 87 max due to the egr and its outlet facing toward the drivers side instead of to the rear of the car). After getting that done we double checked everything and fired her up. Fired up perfectly and idled well too (after some adjustment to the spark timing of the distributor).

Drove it and it accelerates better than before and the engine idles very nicely, no idle issues(or so I thought, see last paragraph). Then another problem rears its ugly head, the axle seal started leaking out transmission fluid. Turns out the autoparts store we got it from gave us the wrong part for our car. The seal was too wide so when the car bumped up and down when driving, it slowly pushed the axle back out leaving it loosly seated with the transmission, hence the leak. We went back and got the right part(after 20 minutes of them searching the computers to get the right seal) and now we have no problems. Oh, and we switched the expansion valve of the A/C because it went bad as well.

Hoped my car wouldn't come up with any other problems anytime soon, but now I think I need to change the AAV and the sensor that goes on the Fuel Pressure Regulator. OH, and I need to find a screw to place on the intake to keep the idle from going too low after I accelerate(don't know what its called but it helps you control what rpm ur car idles at and helps it to stay there when the car is cold)
Old 08-24-2006, 09:46 AM
shift_Puff

wow man...you did a lot to it...good for you...it'll never die
Old 08-24-2006, 10:17 AM

how long did all that take ? Im almost finished swapping an engine and that took about 4 days with no help what so ever..

Old 08-24-2006, 07:11 PM
I love lamp.

Gratz Blue_Sky on getting the car back up.

S
Old 08-24-2006, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 8730000
how long did all that take ? Im almost finished swapping an engine and that took about 4 days with no help what so ever..
including the problem that we had with the sprocket about 2-3 days or so. If it had come out easily it would have taken us about a day.

maximase86: thanks, i just hope she doesn't get any other illness, i'm kinda broke right now
Old 08-24-2006, 08:43 PM
still brewin'

when you replaced the mounts, did you buy new ones or just re-fill the old ones, or something to that effect. I've seen before that someone has fixed their mounts by tearing out the old busted rubber and filling it with some type of compound and letting them sit until cured. I need to replace all my mounts and it looks to be around $500 from my parts store. They said the front alone would cost $200 with lifetime warranty. I replaced the back a year ago at $95 but it tore up cause the front was shot to ****.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Yayomax
when you replaced the mounts, did you buy new ones or just re-fill the old ones, or something to that effect. I've seen before that someone has fixed their mounts by tearing out the old busted rubber and filling it with some type of compound and letting them sit until cured. I need to replace all my mounts and it looks to be around $500 from my parts store. They said the front alone would cost $200 with lifetime warranty. I replaced the back a year ago at $95 but it tore up cause the front was shot to ****.
i think it cost me around $200-$300 for all four. The engine mounts were from nissan but only lasted around 3 1/2 years before they were totally ruined. So I went with ones from an autoparts store, they looked exactly alike and looked like they would last about as much as the last ones did, plus they were cheaper. didn't want to bother re-filling them, didn't think it was worth it IMO.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:21 AM
VGsidestepper

Im having problem's also

Well i finished the 88 VG30E block swap into my 87 maxima , but i am having fuel issue's ....

It had a 87 VG30E in there ... And right before i dropped the engine out it ran , No fuel problem's what so ever...

Once i swapped the 88 VG30E into the car i cant get fuel into the engine.

I even swapped the 87's injector's thinking the 88's where not compatable with the ECU...

the only way it start's is with starter fluid...

I dont know where to begin............................................

Id love some help here...

Old 08-28-2006, 11:51 AM

have you tried checking if the injectors are firing at all? the same thing happened when I switched out injectors with some spares I had(fuel rail and all) when me and my father were fixing my car. the car would not start without shooting carb cleaner (a petroleum product) into the intake. what I did was to remove the intake and disconnect the fuel lines from the injectors (make sure the key is in the OFF position so the fuel pump isn't active, you can remove the key from the ignition if you are not sure) and plug them up with a small screw or something( a little bit of gasoline might spurt out, just let it dry and continue. then you remove the injectors from the heads, keeping the injectors connected to the electrical lines and have someone start the car just turning the key to start it. If you do not hear a series of clicks coming from the injectors, then that means that your injectors aren't firing. If they do fire, then it might be a fuel issue.

BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN YOU DO THIS AS THERE IS FUEL AND ELECTRICITY PRESENT IN YOUR VICINITY, WHICH MAY CAUSE A FIRE. if you take all necessary precautions nothing dangerous will occur.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:39 PM

87 and 88's should be the same how ever there may be floater/non floater differences with smog, fuel delivery, that such that arent well reccorded.

i know on my 87 floater theres things that my Factory Service Manual doesent even list...luckily they seem to be minor things.

maybe look it over, check everything for minor diferences in parts and what not...mabe grab a 88 ECU if you can do so cheaply
Old 08-31-2006, 10:22 PM
VGsidestepper

Yeah some one else said some thing about the ECU....

I put the 87 injector's in there thinking it was a problem with resistances....

Still nooooo start...

i took it to a mechanic's shop about 3 day's ago and about all they could figure out it wasent getting a spark ... But how could it started before i took it into the shop and once i took it out of the shop it's not getting a spark any more ?

Well i took it in and about 2 hour's before i took it in it started perfect with starter fluid..... pushed it over to the mechanic's they took alook at it for 3 days....

they asked me for the distributor from the engine i took out of the car they put that in and still no spark...

I went there today and all they could tell me was it wasent geting spark and the injector's whernt pulsing... so i was liek **** it , And pushed it home...

Dont know what to do now..... dont know where to start.....

and i also took the 88 injector's that i took out of the engine when i thought it was because the ecu wasent sending a signal to them , and spliced one up and had some one turn it listening for a click or some thing from the injector but i couldent hear any thing....

Dont know what to do!!!

So i might try and find and ecu ....

Any one have a 88 5 speed ecu?

Old 08-31-2006, 10:26 PM
VGsidestepper

Could i try my 88 Auto ecu ? I just want to see if that fixes the starting problem's before i go buy and ecu that has no garuntee to fix the problem..

Old 09-05-2006, 07:46 PM

probally to see if it starts...

try moving the distributer one gear tooth at a time.
i noticed it wont start if its not on 1 of 2 notches and the only way to find it is to go 1 at a time, some times it may not start, dont force it though. it grinds bad