1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

car is scaring me....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 01:06 PM

car is scaring me....

I got up this morning to move my car (parked it in a convenient lot that is not open to residents after 7am on weekdays) and drove it back to my dorm's lot... once I got above lik 25, my car started to make a kind of <wob wob wob wob> noise like a flat tire, but 3 tires are/were (as of yesterday morning when I checked them) at 32psi, and the 4th was at 33psi. There was no sign of wear on my tires (less than a year old) and no oil or anything leaking from my car. It only started once I got over 25 and would lessen in loudness as I slowed (not really make the noise less often). I checked for grease or anything coming from the CV boot on the drivers side and there was nothing. Its all clean, and I cant find anything wrong with the tires. Could it be something in the engine? Please someone be able to tell me it isn't something that will cost a lot to fix. It was cold enough to see your breath when I drove it, so the engine was damn cold compared to what it has been exposed to in recent past, but my anti-freeze is at a level capable of like -20 or something rediculous like that. I recently had the passenger side CV boots (at the tire and on the engine) replaced but I'm certain my mechanic didn't botch anything with it b/c he's never done anything of the sort before (practically a family friend after my dad's 240, brother's 300ZX Turbo and my maxima). Anyway.. does anyone have any idea what could be causing this noise? When in the car, it sounds like its coming from the dash right behind the console and when I stick my head out the window I cant really hear it anymore. No odors or smoke. just a "wob wob wob wob" noise...

Please help.

Greg
Old 10-02-2001, 06:23 AM
youthmin26

Re: car is scaring me....

One question- did it go away when the car warmed up? When it gets cold, my Max makes a sound like that for about 1 minute and then it goes away- I just figured it was something to do with the cold. Mine has been doing that since last winter and no problems seen so far. If your symptoms are like mine (noise from the driver's side of the car that speeds up and slows down with the car and disappears after about a minute of driving when cold), I wouldn't worry about it- I don't know what it is but it hasn't affected my Max. Good luck

Old 10-02-2001, 03:10 PM

Re: Re: car is scaring me....

yeah.. I drove the car last night and there was no problem.. I think it was just damn cold. First night it was that cold since last year.. but it didn't make that noise before. Oh well. At least it isn't anything that someone knows to be of consequence. Thx!

Greg
Old 10-06-2001, 12:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: car is scaring me....

Originally posted by Greg 88 Floater
yeah.. I drove the car last night and there was no problem.. I think it was just damn cold. First night it was that cold since last year.. but it didn't make that noise before. Oh well. At least it isn't anything that someone knows to be of consequence. Thx!

Greg
The same thing happened to my `88 on my last set of tires. I actually had to change the fronts because one of the front tires had a fricken stretched belt.
Old 10-06-2001, 02:39 PM

I checked my tires, they're fine. And I just had them rotated in August. They're only a year old (not even) and they still have virtually all their tread on them. It only happened that one time, so I'm not too worried about it. If it happens again, you can bet I'll post about it again.

Greg