1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

odd starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:37 PM

odd starting problems

ok i have an odd one for you guys, i think i know the awnser but i thought i would run it by. oh and sorry for my absence i have been hella busy.

ok so my car some times wont start, i thought it was the battery and its still doing it after charging the new one even.

what happens is it'll alwyas start fine in the morning (i.e. cold) i can drive it arround and make a few stops here and there but after some time or a few stops where i park shut off and get out then come back it'll only turn over half way and then stop. no clicking sound like its not got enough juice.

now if i turn the key back and then try it again, i get the same result over and over if i try it that many times. if i sit for 10 minutes or so it'll start again, some times with out any problem.

i have found if it gets stuck half way i can try starting it and turn the engine over half way a few times untill i get a cylinder to fire and then its fine but it takes a few cranks on the key.

kinda odd but i am thinking starter but if some one else has an idea its appreaciated. who knows the connector on the started may need to be cleaned too i donno.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

i would say starter as well, or maybee a bad ground in the engine compartment
Old 09-30-2007, 12:36 PM

alright i swapped it out....for future reference a starter from a 3rd gen with a VG motor in it fits on ours, it wasnt revised so much that it wouldnt like alot of the parts on the 3rd gens.

you'll need to swap out the plastic connector but its easy to do with a dentists pick or some other long pointy thing and pull back the tab with in the connector holding the metal contact in there.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:39 AM

I am extremely sorry for posting my problem in this thread, but i felt it was better than spamming 15 other threads and making a topic in one day.

I'm having a problem with my electrical system. Something is draining my battery. The battery indicator stays on even when the battery is fully charged if I remember correctly. I've tried using different batteries. Alternator has been changed, and I thought it was starter since it was slowly discharging or something. That thing has been changed 3 times because autozone's highly advanced starter tester doesn't check the problem I just described about the starter. I've used an ohmmeter set it to 10 amps placed it between the positive terminal and the positive cable. Took out the dome fuse and anything else that would work when i open the door. reading were 0.16. Put the fuses back to make sure I wasn't leaving the door open everytime and I'd get a fluctuating .16 - .18. I'm assuming it has to do with something while the Maxima is on. It's an 88.

Again I truly apologize for doing this in your thread, but it kinda related to my problem and I hope I can get some help.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 PM

oi thats a pickle. alot of these cars supposedly have electrical problems but its usually due to age, thankfully i havent had such an issue but i have to ask.

is there any sort of aftermarket audio setup in this car?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:46 AM

No, infact the mixer is still there but the radio was stolen. I've been reading around about the alternator could be overcharging the battery, essentially killing it because of the voltage regulator needing change. Thanks for the response.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:03 PM

well its very possible, remanned alternators dont last very long for some reason, i have gone through 3 in a 5 year period but i bought the one with the lifetime warranty.

i was asking about the stereo because it sounds like theres a short some where causing your drain, it might also explain your readings on your voltometer.

any thing else you can tell is about the car? are the termincals on the battery crusty or do you see corrosion any where else when a wire comes in contact with the body or other part?
Old 10-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Some of the radio wires could be making some contact. The battery doesn't have any corrosion. When I got the vehicle some of the wires were cut and had some corrosion like some of the sensors. I don't really know what some of the sensors are called I'm not too car savvy. There is a wire underneath my radiator that looks like a ground because it's brown but it plugs in but I think there is some bare parts on it.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:11 AM

That brown wire seems to be a ground for something, it's screwed to the body. I'm thinking the belt isn't tight enough and it's affecting the alternator. Also, got any idea where the idle adjustment screw is?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:26 PM

i know EXACTLY where the idle adjustment screw is how ever i am gonna get you a pic because its easier to explain that way.

the belt on my alternator comes loose all the time so you just kinda have to keep on top of it. if you use belt dressing use it very sparingly!

while i am out taking a pic of the idle adjustment screw i'll take a look for this brown wire your talking about, it may just be a ground or a temp sensor of sorts i am not sure
Old 10-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help. I just read something interesting about alternators and about voltage vs amperage and I'm going to take my alternator in to test the amperage since it's a remanf. alternator.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by mysticalone
No, infact the mixer is still there but the radio was stolen. I've been reading around about the alternator could be overcharging the battery, essentially killing it because of the voltage regulator needing change. Thanks for the response.
Sorry to go on a tangent, but if you need a stock radio I may have one I can sell pretty cheap (works but has worn buttons....).
Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the offer, but it's kinda rare when I want to listen to music while driving. But if I change my mind, I'll send you a pm.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:43 PM

No hurry, I haven't pulled the radio yet. I've got 2 or 3 parts cars to choose from but no reason to do it any time soon unless someone needs one.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 PM

ok it must be lets have everything break week, i just got my computer up and running so no picture yet i am sorry and now i have got something up with my car for another thread though