1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

who still has there 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i still have my 1987 ...but in rough shape. Transmission stopped at 310,000 kms....was not sure how and if I should fix it (Over $ 2,000) so i went for another car for this price. I am still not sure if i did right or wrong. The engine was purring, not burning oil and oil was still yellow when i was changing it. The 2 rears door were locked (rusted out?), broken windshield....so now it sits in tghe driveway, Can't start it as transmission is blocked (I first lost 3rd, then 2nd then transmission got stucked).
I would like to see it go (Cheap) to a maxima fan as I am sure that the engine was perfect and it was driving so smooth before. Live in Ontario, Canada...anybody interested?
Old 01-05-2009, 02:39 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

is it a legrand?? or a regular??
Old 01-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

regular, I think. Not sure what the LeGrand spec would be....I will try to get some pics...
Old 01-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ive got two 87's one has 16" rims with goodyear eagle F1's. Just picked up my turbo motor for the conversion. the other one is a 5 speed sport, but its on the back burner for now, eventually gonig to strip it and go full cage rally setup with tt swap.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I still have a 2nd Gen

I'm kind of worried about the transmission. This is my Dad's old car and it has about 85k miles on it. I don't think he ever changed the oil in the transmission. The oil doesn't look bad but its looks old and shot, kind of a redish brown. I'm afraid to change it. My mechanic is kind of thinking that it works don't mess with it. The last time I changed the oil in a older tranny it blew oil out the seals. So at this point we are looking at the car not knowing what to do!

Anyone know these transmissions and what i should do!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I still have my '87 Max SE 5-speed. I bought it new in 1986 and it just turned 200,000 miles yesterday. It still has the original paint in excellent shape (garage at home and at work), original clutch, second set of brakes and shocks and the 3rd set of tires!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gfreed
I'm kind of worried about the transmission. This is my Dad's old car and it has about 85k miles on it. I don't think he ever changed the oil in the transmission. The oil doesn't look bad but its looks old and shot, kind of a redish brown. I'm afraid to change it. My mechanic is kind of thinking that it works don't mess with it. The last time I changed the oil in a older tranny it blew oil out the seals. So at this point we are looking at the car not knowing what to do!

Anyone know these transmissions and what i should do!

Hey, I have my dads '87 too - with about 68K miles - which he bought new. What is the problem with your trans? If the fluid has not been changed all these years I would really think hard about changing it. Some trans techs believe there is a condition call varnishing which the new fluid may dissolve and plug the valve body or pump. Don't get a trans power flushed whatever you do.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 AM

thatsz good 2c yu got low miles
Old 03-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1988 Nissan Maxima- Gas Mileage

I Have A 1988 Nissan Maxima,Awesome car!!!

Bought Car for 500$ Bucks!!

Runs Awesome,Truly Florida Car ,No Rust at 136000.

New High output 120 amp Altenator,struts,bushing,tierod,intake,everything has been replaced except motor.

Installed Smack Booster,Feul heater,efie adjuster, Took magnets
from Hard drive ,put on fuel line. installed Fuel restrictor Before
throttle body.

I've been getting 30 miles to the gallon!!!! with this setup!!
Last week drove car from Florida to Columbus Ohio--860 miles
on 50$ Dollers in Gas!!!!then drove back 55$ to get back--860 miles!!
No Problems At all!!Car runs great!!!!

Just Had to tell somebody--Love this Car
Water as fuel really works!!!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Well, just changed the oil in her yesterday, GTX 20W-50, Fram TG3682. Every 2K miles. She just turned 157K, bought her in '07 at 121K. Still uses no oil, and the 5-speed shifts like a dream. Royal Purple in the gearbox, highly recommended. I've got a Volvo 245 Turbo Wagon with their 4-speed w/pusbutton 5th that will be getting Royal Purple soon. Want her to shift like my Max!
Old 03-14-2009, 06:47 PM

That is sweet - looks just like the one I bought brand-new in early 1987. I know it's not the same one because it was totalled and had 175K on it. I wish I had taken more pictures of that car.

I do have one here that looks kinda like it, with an automatic. It runs good but failed inspection last year...now it's my parts car to feed my 1988.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:24 AM

heres mine...
Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 PM

All right guys/girls, new issue. My '87 is white. Noticed today that on the roof, trunk lid, and hood, what appears to some sub-surface rust coming through the paint. Shine is still great, did a small section of the trunk lid with Carnauba (what she always gets), and it helped a bit, but could still see it.

Experience with this anyone? Time for a new paint job? Charcoal Gray, just like my first? Or can I do something about this intruder? Funny, my charcoal gray '87 and this one have the EXACT same interior...
Old 03-28-2009, 08:53 AM

i would say get a new paint job get rid of everything cuz the wax mighttake care of it for a lil bit but it will come back
Old 04-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by nissans_ftw
yea, it's been an awesome car...unfortunately it's got what seems to be a common problem among that generation...the engine runs fine until it warms up, when it starts to miss. trying to floor the accelerator is impossible because it bogs down and almost dies... I have to lightly feather the throttle to get it anywhere at all. from reading in the forum it sounds like the CHTS is bad, but I've been having a hard time finding a replacement. (hopefully all that makes sense...)

so we'll see. she's a work in progress...but yea, she's always run great up until this episode, and from some of the posts on this forum it seems like the VG30 is good for at least 250k miles, so I've got a ways to go

1988 Nissan-Datsun Maxima Sedan V6-2960cc 3.0L SOHC MFI (VG30E)

Mine did the same thing ,Replaced the oxygen sensor,still did the same thing, Replaced the fuel pump, left orginal fuel pump harnes,still the same, What It Turned out to be was the Fuel Pump Harness!! Does your Low fuel light come on? The ground on the Fuel Pump Harness,wraps around the side of the main, and shorts.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Guys,

I have a 1987 Maxima. 203,000. I just replaced the CHTS, that was fun. Does anyone need advice or where to find the CHTS part and sub-harness? My ECU is now displaying a 1,1 in real-time diagnostics mode. I think it is the crank angle sensor. Has anyone ever replaced/removed the distributor. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 AM

does anyone on here have a stick max?? that they would want to sell or maybe want to sell
Old 06-02-2009, 10:40 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

make sure the car is in tdc then you do it or youll screw the timing all up, and look for the indentations.. fsm ftw. if you need the page lemme know.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Still kicking it with my 1986 Maxima

Yep... 236,000 on the odometer. That is how I roll. Freaking AC still keeps me comfortable in Texas. Getting harder to find parts though, even at Junk Yards. Talked to a local Junk Yard owner and he said most of his cars that old have all ready been crushed. Hoping to get and give any advice possible. Glad this place exists.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok gang, I have my first question? Tonight went to run a errand and my Maxima did not start up. I finally got it to start by fluttering the throttle but something is really wrong. It now will not idle on its own without me working the throttle. A couple of weeks ago I did a complete tune-up on it before inspection and it passed with flying colors. I am stumped. Can it be the CHTS? If so does it just go out over night. One day the car is purring and the next...
Old 06-09-2009, 09:09 PM

Check the ecu for any error codes would be the 1st thing to do. I had a similar problem last year that was the air flow meter, but it could be something else.

Al

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/t...lllw/86ecu.jpg

Last edited by alllw86; 06-17-2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: more info with pic
Old 06-11-2009, 10:36 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

sounds like either a vaccum leak or o2 sensor

pop the hood and look for broken oe crumpled vaccum hoses or any where a leak could occur
Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If you do not mind a simple question? How do I check the ECU on my car. I have never had to troubleshoot this car? I am looking on Ebay for an OEM Service Manual.

Also, I have looked under the hood for any loose, cracked, or crumpled vacuum hoses. I did find one hose that came off, but it did not seem to help after I fixed it. I will look again and make sure I did not miss anything.

Any help in this area would be great. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

the ecu is under the passenger seat i think 4 screws hold it down, pull it out, then look for a diagnosis screw on the side (its a hole with a small flathead screw in it) twist it all the way until it stops, and write down the flashing lights, cross reference them with the codes on the ecu let us know what happens...
Old 06-16-2009, 01:09 AM

you know i was supprised, i needed some cheap wheels to get me arround in washington (still there) because i couldnt bring my 280zx yet and i didnt find one maxima that fit the bill, kinda wanted a wagon incase i had to abandon ship. there are a ton of maximas up here, i dont understand it.

oh well i wouund up with a supposedly rare 1990 subaru Loyale for $300, had a tick real bad but it was bad oil pump seals letting air into the system and getting trapped in the lifters. $40 in seals (did some extras) and its fixed

i guess its rare because only one year did the loyale come in a turbo with AWD and a 4spd electronicaly controlled transmission. its pretty much legacy drive train and old and busty engine and body, and then take into consideration subaru only went all cars AWD in the mid 90's...oh well
Old 06-20-2009, 07:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks AL

Originally Posted by alllw86
Check the ecu for any error codes would be the 1st thing to do. I had a similar problem last year that was the air flow meter, but it could be something else.

Al

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/t...lllw/86ecu.jpg

Al, I have not yet checked the ECU for any error codes, but I did have time today to pull the large throttle body black hose off, and the car started right up. I put the hose (I am not sure exactly what it is called, so bear with me) back on and the car died. I think it is not getting enough air into the car to run properly. I think all signs are pointing to my air flow meter. Did you purchase yours new or get one from a junkyard?

Again, I have not looked at the ECU yet, maybe I will have time to pull it tomorrow, but I really think it is the air flow meter.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok gang. I have some numbers for you. I ran the diagnostic test on the ECU and it came up with four (4) error codes. Here they are in order;
12 - Air Flow Meter
13 - Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor
21 - Ignition Signal
41 - Fuel Temperature Sensor

I am all ears.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by rfmorrow1966
Ok gang. I have some numbers for you. I ran the diagnostic test on the ECU and it came up with four (4) error codes. Here they are in order;
12 - Air Flow Meter
13 - Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor
21 - Ignition Signal
41 - Fuel Temperature Sensor

I am all ears.
With that many codes I would think you have a wiring harness problem. Loose or dirty connectors? Did you disconnect those circuits while the key was in start position? You’re going to have to use a digital multimeter to check out each circuit back to the ecu.
To erase the codes you disconnect your battery.

So you were able to start your car by removing that air duct hose assembly? Was it running normal when you did that? Read somewhere that car would start also by removing the air flow meter’s connection. So does that mean it’s bad?

When my car had it’s problem there was no error codes. I got tired of troubleshooting and finally just changed the AFM with a spare that I got off of eBay. That was the fix.

There is a chemical spray at the auto parts store for cleaning afm/map sensors that you could try. There is a thin wire configured in a triangle shape that can be cleaned. It may or may not help.

You got so many codes and anyone of those could be the problem.

Al
Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

damn! no wonoder why it wont start, you either have a ground missing in the engine bay, look for black wires bolted to the manifold or broken black wires, all of those things individually will make the car not start, let us kno what happens
Old 06-23-2009, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Big_E-Dog
i got a air dam which is undamaged i might add the question is will you pay for shipping...

btw i still have my maxima as well and love the twin turboed byiotch to death!
YOU HAVE TWIN TURBO!?!
wait, are you coming to the stillen meet? I wanna see a F'in TT 2nd gen. That sounds sexy just thinking about it
Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

yeah its in the turbo section,its been around for a while, as for the stillen meet IDK where is it??

coupple of updated pics...

Last edited by Big_E-Dog; 06-23-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Big E looking lovely what intake is that
Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 PM

wow!!! look at those rims!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that car deserves 2 be painted and put in a museum!!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 PM

very nice and unique 2nd gen. for the stillen meet, you can look at the thread in the west coast section, it is going to be on july 11th
Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 AM

i need 2 move 2 Socal!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:43 AM
2nd Gen Boostinator

Originally Posted by vernk
Big E looking lovely what intake is that
pathfinder manifold to get it to fit youll have to make a manifold relocation pipe

Originally Posted by DIASISS OF JASSICS.COM
wow!!! look at those rims!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that car deserves 2 be painted and put in a museum!!!!
working on that... the paint part atleast...

Originally Posted by DIASISS OF JASSICS.COM
i need 2 move 2 Socal!!!!!!!!!
YES YOU DO!!, but youll prolly faint and go to heaven when you visit one of our junkyards....
Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 PM

pathfinder manifold to get it to fit youll have to make a manifold relocation pipe
ok from what year was what I should have asked with that cuz the one that is on my 90 pathfinder would come over the front valve cover irrc
Old 06-24-2009, 04:28 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

like the 3rd gen maxima?, otherwise you can flip it any way youd like.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:40 PM

like the 3rd gen maxima?, otherwise you can flip it any way youd like.
kinda but instead of being in the middle it would be by the front of the motor the best pic i could find
http://www.ninfiniti.com/images3/90pathvg30eng.JPG
don't know if it would fit under the hood without lowering the motor and tranny
Old 06-26-2009, 11:22 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

good pic, but thats how its sitting in the engine bay my hood is spaced though about 2 inches

Quick Reply: who still has there 2nd gen