1st & 2nd Generation Maxima (1981-1984 and 1985-1988) Learn more and share information about the 1st and 2nd Generation Maximas.

2nd Gen with Factory Fogs question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:23 PM

2nd Gen with Factory Fogs question

I need a favor, can someone here with a 2nd gen with factory SE Fogs take a picture of the back of the factory fog switch for me? I have a bunch of spade connectors behind my switch and they were all disconnected when I got the car. I wanna get it all working again.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2013, 06:26 AM

I had to add a switch in, but your switch from the factory is most likely a SPST On/Off switch, with 2 spade terminals. 12V+ to the middle terminal, the fog light positive leads to the bottom terminal. Since the fuse panel doesn't have a designated fuse for the fogs, it's a good possibility that a relay controls them.

If you are unsure of the leads, put a voltmeter on each with the ignition on, the leads with 12V+ are obviously your power supply, the remaining leads would go to the lamps. If you post a pic of the back side of your switch, I'll tell you how to wire it. Nissan may have used a DPST switch, I don't know...
Old 10-06-2013, 05:04 PM

I actually traced all of the wiring under the hood and figured out where everything is. I found the relay and the wiring leading from thre fogs back. I just need to make sense of the wires by the dash.

I just popped the switch off and I remembered why I didnt mess with it before, the switch is stuck in the on position. lolol Which makes sense why the contacts are unplugged. There are 4 spade connectors. Im going to check the box I have for instructions.

Oh. time to show off. I bought these at a swap meet November 2011 for $40. Almost walked by them, so glad my best friend spotted them and hit me.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:35 PM

4 terminals tells me it's a DPST switch, with each light powered by separate feeds. 12V+ to the middle terminals, feeds to the lights on the bottom terminals. If you can't find a direct Nissan replacement switch, a Carling Contura rocker fits the cutout perfectly. How I run my fogs...
Old 10-06-2013, 05:55 PM

Thanks man.

I decided to pull the switch apart. I think I might have got it. I was checking the box I had for wiring instructions, but the only thing there was the aiming instructions.

I got the old swtich to read the same continuity as the BNIB switch. I think I got it. . according to the wiring in the box though, there are only three spade connectors. I just have to figure out how they go on now. lol

Name:  image_zps258b4714.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  98.2 KB
Name:  image_zpsbc559c9f.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  123.7 KB
Old 10-06-2013, 07:36 PM

Spent about an hour fooling around with the wiring system on the car. Traced the wiring from the relay, figured it all out. Then I broke the switch again. lol Gonna try to track another factory switch down and change the fog housings at the same time.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Interesting that there is a resistor in the switch. I have to think it's in there to reduce the voltage running to the fogs...
Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 AM

Actually, I think its for the illumination light on the switch. The switch gets powered off of a wire tap on the low beam wire. The wire tap was disconnected under the hood, it looked like an owner did it. But when I went through the NOS box, there was a wire tap in it. So it all made sense now. haha
Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by TransAmBandit
Actually, I think its for the illumination light on the switch. The switch gets powered off of a wire tap on the low beam wire. The wire tap was disconnected under the hood, it looked like an owner did it. But when I went through the NOS box, there was a wire tap in it. So it all made sense now. haha
That would make sense. Reduce the voltage through resistance, the light will glow dim.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:46 AM

switchs

I just put fogs on my 88 SE as well, not as nice as yours I didn't know what kind to get mine were missing. There were two brackets with square holes just below were my turn signals are. I went with 2 cheap amber ones for now, couldn't find ones were I could bolt from behind to fit ORG brackets. My switch works but the white paint logo is worn off so for awhile I didn't know what the switch was for. I need to find a truck pop switch kept breaking and I think I vacuumed up the guts of it LOL. I know were a 87 is in the junk yard with just over 100000 mile but someone got the switch's out all ready the interior is super clean. I need to get my back up lights working don't know were the switch is , on trans or shifter? Haven't had a chance to look under the plastic cover below the car, didn't see anything at the top does your back up lights work?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:19 PM

Yesterday I went to Harbor Freight and bought some cheapo amber fogs. I did that because I figured I'd shatter one eventually they are cheap at $12.99 a pair. I used the factory wiring with the factory brackets. I used the light housing brackets that came in the kit bolted to the factory fog light brackets.

On the factory wiring, the purple wire tap that goes into the low beam wiring on the driver side headlight, I moved it to the power wire on the park lamp. Therefore, I can still have the fogs on when I hit the high beams.

Since I broke the factory switch again the other night and I refuse to use the brand new one I have in the box, I plugged the factory wiring into the HF fog switch in the kit and tucked it up behind the fuse panel as it'll be there temporarily.

And to add, my last Maxima had a broken trunk release switch. They are pretty fragile. I changed it, and then I broke that one as well. lol
Old 10-09-2013, 04:47 PM

switchs

yeah my trunk switch has on of the taps broken off on one side. If I find a good one I was thinking of putting it by S-N-F Shock switch there is a blank area with a little cover there. Had it fixed once but my Son used the car and the pieces were on the floor once again lol.